Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Complaints about accommodation

Complaints about accommodation

Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Complaints about accommodation

Ok, so here's the deal: I've got a friend who works in a low grade/low pay position at a 5* hotel in Dubai (think waiter and the likes), about two months ago the company made an announcement that the contract for the current accommodation where they where staying (Al Quoz) was not renewed, and they would be moving to a different newly build one in the same area.

First the "old" accommodation: to our standards the accommodation where they were staying was far from nice, but it was not that bad. Most of them shared a room with 2 others, two big bathrooms which they shared with most of the staff although some people got lucky and had a room with an attached private bathroom. They had a room with pool tables, big ass tv room/library, an internet room with several computers and wireless internet through the building. Three meals a day in the cafeteria (which wasn't even THAT bad, 'course you need to like Indian or Filipino food, but then again, most of them are of those nationalities), several kitchens through the building where they could cook their own meals, small mall literally next door, water cooling system, so they actually had cold running water, and some more things.

Well, now the current situation. As of the first of june they moved in to their new accommodation, which is owned by the hotel chain and originally build to accommodate staff who were going to work at a new to open property. Unfortunately this has been cancelled/postponed (think highest hotel building on Sheikh Zayed Road and you know the chain, they also have a very long bar ), and they decided to move in the staff from the first mentioned hotel. No problem, smart, saves money etc etc. BUT, the living conditions have dramatically decreased.

The new picture: First of all, the building is in a totally deserted area of Al Quoz, basically it's desert/sand wherever you look. At least 4 people share a room, while plenty of rooms are vacant, this "saves energy". The rooms are not big, so basically its 4 beds (or just matrasses most of the time, because during the move the moving company broke a lot of personal stuff and interior, even TV's) pushed side to side, they have a strip of 1 or 2 meters for the width of the room to walk and then they have a small build in closet which is supposed to hold their personal belongings, but of course nothing fits in it. No internet (etisalat and du have refused to supply a connection on short notice, because it's so far in the middle of nowhere, they said it would take at least 6 months before something was possible), same goes for tv. Kitchens, public areas have all been transformed in to "rooms", so there is absolutely no recreation or cooking facility.

They've also cancelled the contract of the previous food supplier (which was like I sad not that bad), and decided to only serve bread and some juice like tang in the hotel cafeteria. The cafeteria in the accommodation does not excist any more as it has been turned in to a normal room where 4 people live. On top of that they've now forbidden the staff to use small cooking sets in their rooms which they used to cook their own food, so at least they had something presumably healthy, now they are to take the bus which runs once every hour to the hotel to get their "meal; bread and tang".

Apparently the local security guards are not smart enough to get why the staff whom are not allowed in the hotel (staff off duty is not allowed on the hotel premises, not even the back areas) are still coming in huge numbers, they refuse them entry, they ignore them, turns into a fight, security guards report the fight to the HR dep and those bloody #(*%#(*%#*% retarted bastards terminate the staff because "fighting is not allowed, for whatever reason".

So thats the picture in short, and my question, what on earth can they do about it? Complaining does not help, not to the management staff (who are comfortable in their villa's in Jumeirah or some other nice areas), not to the head office located in the capital, they just don't seem to care. They have thought about a strike of some sort, but to be honoust I do not think they can pull it off, as most of them value and rely on their jobs (specially in these times) way to much.

Yes, probably this story isn't really perfectly formulated, and even more probable full of spelling mistakes. I was on a rampage and needed to get it off my chest, as I worked for that bloody company and know most of the people living there personally.

Last edited by Euc-; Jun 29th 2009 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:30 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complaints about accommodation

that doesn't sound too good...maybe get the press involved
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:43 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MataHari
that doesn't sound too good...maybe get the press involved
Where is Meow when you need her?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 6:20 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

gte in touch with the UK press, seems the donal macintyre investigation made a bit of difference and the ministry are shitting themselves so it may just work
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

get in touch with Elle and Roger at Helping Hands. www.helpinghandsuae.com, pm me if you want Elle's phone number. She will tell you who will be able to help these guys out. It is a disgrace.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
get in touch with Elle and Roger at Helping Hands. www.helpinghandsuae.com, pm me if you want Elle's phone number. She will tell you who will be able to help these guys out. It is a disgrace.
That's brilliant BC! Thanks!

I'll write them an e-mail, is easier as I'm not in Dubai yet.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:17 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

What was written in their contract to start with ie was it laid down that "decent" meals would be provided etc.??

Not sure what the local law is here about companies changing terms and conditions - something I would like to know myself if anyone knows. IE something clearly stated on a contract then just changed any comeback on this????? Anyone???
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fairydust
What was written in their contract to start with ie was it laid down that "decent" meals would be provided etc.??

Not sure what the local law is here about companies changing terms and conditions - something I would like to know myself if anyone knows. IE something clearly stated on a contract then just changed any comeback on this????? Anyone???
I believe their contract states that they are entitled to a shared and furnished room in the staff housing facility, plus three meals a day in the cafeteria.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:44 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Therefore not a leg to stand on -3 meals a day could be shit on toast! and shared accomm is just that shared unless it specifies where and what type and with how many people. Just another example of these great t&cs we all work with out here.

We came here with company accomm proivided along with ALL utilitiy bills - a month ago they decided they were going to put a cap on DEWA bills = whether this is legal or not is still being debated but hey I don't hold out much hope