Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Comparison between Bahrain and Ras Al Khaimah

Comparison between Bahrain and Ras Al Khaimah

Old Oct 7th 2018, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparison between Bahrain and Ras Al Khaimah

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Not all that really. One thing I do miss is a Ruth Chris's, but sadly no.

Great Italian just off the 311 roundabout (La Burrata), sadly not licensed but I always have a bottle of "Sprite" with me - dirt cheap and owned by Italians.

Brunches at 159 including great pork ribs (and a meat raffle which i won on Friday), are great too.

I don't miss Dubai with the infernal traffic and general pain in the arse to get anywhere.

Brand new 2 beds in the Pacific building on Marjan Island for 40k/year (too far out for me mind you), 2 bed townhouses in Al Hamra for a little more (small kitchens) though.

Not for everyone, but I like it that way, I pay less for a month's rent inclusive of all bills than some of you spend on a night out.

The traffic in Dubs isn't all that bad anymore . it takes me 20 mins in the morning from the Greens to DIFC
I think alot of people scarpered after the Summer.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 5:36 am
Just Joined

TravellerPSU is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply.
Also I checked with the HR , she said that around the place I would work (near RAK mall) we get 1 BHK flats for around 25000 per year for rent (2000 per month). And a little further away from it would be around 35000 yearly.

So you are saying that 35000 is not a bad salary for me and my spouse.
Actually i was considering Bahrain because my wife currently works there. And she said things are quite cheap there, Rent around 500 BHD per month.
Moreover, she has to travel to Dubai and take a cab to RAK to meet during weekends and if we dont have much to do in RAK then again going to Dubai. That would mean she would spend most of her weekend travelling.

Last edited by TravellerPSU; Oct 8th 2018 at 5:45 am.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TravellerPSU
Thank you for your reply.
Also I checked with the HR , she said that around the place I would work (near RAK mall) we get 1 BHK flats for around 25000 per year for rent (2000 per month). And a little further away from it would be around 35000 yearly.

So you are saying that 35000 is not a bad salary for me and my spouse.
Actually i was considering Bahrain because my wife currently works there. And she said things are quite cheap there, Rent around 500 BHD per month.
Moreover, she has to travel to Dubai and take a cab to RAK to meet during weekends and if we dont have much to do in RAK then again going to Dubai. That would mean she would spend most of her weekend travelling.
A wife in Bahrain does complicate things. The problem is that your job offer in Bahrain is likely for a position that isn't comparable to the RAK position. 10-20k in Bahrain versus 35,000 in RAK, and that implies the RAK role is more senior and has better long term outlook for you when you eventually move on.

An option is that you go to RAK and she stays in Bahrain and you meet each weekend in Dubai. Flights are cheap.

Since I don't know what you do nor what your wife does I can't offer any advice on the feasibility of finding a better job in Bahrain or your wife finding a job in the UAE.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really add much to DXBtoDOH's reply, a spouse does complicate things. Just go to Bahrain, keeping the missus happy is more important.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
keeping the missus happy is more important.
I'd second that. 500BD for an unfurnished flat in places you'd want to live in. If you are looking for a villa then you're not going to get anything very decent for that. But if you've got a wife on the ground here, maybe she's got some contacts. No idea what she's comparing it to when she says it's "quite cheap."