British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Comparison between Bahrain and Ras Al Khaimah (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/comparison-between-bahrain-ras-al-khaimah-917946/)

TravellerPSU Oct 3rd 2018 8:53 am

Comparison between Bahrain and Ras Al Khaimah

Hi Guys,

I have got a job offer in Bahrain and Ras-Al-Khaimah. I have 3 yrs post-grad experience in medical field. I will be moving in with my wife.
I wanted to know which is better in terms of cost of living expenses, rent, food, family life, work life balance etc.
And which is a better salary ---> 30,000 AED in Ras Al Khaimah compared to a 1000-2000 BHD in Bahrain? (for my level of experience and comparing the cost of living expenses)
I have lived in Bahrain before so I know it is a very relaxed life here and have a fair idea about the cost etc. But I have never been to UAE so I do not know how to weigh my options, so please advise.

Thanks in advance.

sicklyman Oct 3rd 2018 9:17 am

Re: Comparison between Bahrain and Ras Al Khaimah

well, there's a lot of difference between BHD1000 and BHD2000. If you have a wife who isn't going to be working, I'd say that's on the low side although doable if you don't want to save much. Bahrain is getting more expensive as govt subsidies are gradually being removed on all sorts of things. For example, electricity this year is double last year's price. When were you last here?

Are the benefits exactly the same? If you have housing included in that BHD figure, then that will def help.

I'd always heard that the UAE was more expensive but maybe places like Ras buck that trend. It also has scenery (relative to Bahrain).

Gavtek Oct 4th 2018 4:24 am

The salary in RAK is far better, RAK is not AED 10k/month more expensive than Bahrain. I'd also much rather live in RAK.

DXBtoDOH Oct 4th 2018 6:25 am

There's a decent expat community up in RAK, mostly living in Al Hamra and the waterfront resort communities. They really like it, apparently. Rents are cheap.

You're only a bit more than a hour from Dubai on the weekends and can come down for R&R. Plus you've got Oman next door, which is fab.

There are malls and restaurants. All in all, it's a quiet place whole not being far from Dubai. Bahrain, on the other hand, probably feels much smaller and restricted as there's nowhere to go. And, of course, the money is much better in RAK. Not sure why you're even considering Bahrain on a much smaller package!

reddiva Oct 4th 2018 9:31 am

2 beds in Al Hamra are so cheap

https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/sea...pmt=b&rp=y&t=1

I love RAK, as it is much peaceful than Dubai and no tax on booze at the booze shop !

hnd Oct 4th 2018 10:56 am

And no need for a liquor licence either. Those were the days :thumbup:

IKnowNothing Oct 6th 2018 10:59 am

I live in RAK, it's dirt cheap in comparison to Dubai, a lot freer and chilled too (how it feels to live here). Yes most westerners seem to live in Al Hamra, i don't as the utility bills are stupidly expensive (c 2,500 a month for a 1 bed apt last month), I prefer living more downtown, older villas, big and cheaper than the manicured Al Hamra - horses for courses so they say. Also in Al Hamra watch out for the apartments as if there are only 10 tenants in a 100 appt building, then the municipal charge gets split between 10 of you, not 100. We have weather, mountains and The Mussandam on our doorstep, went from RAK centre to Silicon in a shade over an hour last week, the 611 has been widened so nowhere near as many queues.

Been a lot of years since I was in Bahrain so can't comment on it now.

Made in Sheffield 1 Oct 6th 2018 3:20 pm

After living in Dubai for 7 years, we moved to RAK in February and love it.

It’s so more laid back and the three tax free booze shops within a 5 minute drive definitely help!

We live on Al Marjan Island and, even though there’s quite a lot of construction going on, it’s so peaceful. We’ve got fantastic sea views (and the rent’s cheap).

The selection of ‘high end’ restaurants is dire but, as already said, Dubai’s not that far away. We usually make a holiday of it and book a hotel so we can go for a nice meal.

Pongo Oct 6th 2018 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12573774)
After living in Dubai for 7 years, we moved to RAK in February and love it.

It’s so more laid back and the three tax free booze shops within a 5 minute drive definitely help!

We live on Al Marjan Island and, even though there’s quite a lot of construction going on, it’s so peaceful. We’ve got fantastic sea views (and the rent’s cheap).

The selection of ‘high end’ restaurants is dire but, as already said, Dubai’s not that far away. We usually make a holiday of it and book a hotel so we can go for a nice meal.

What’s the Waldorf like?

reddiva Oct 7th 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 12573831)

What’s the Waldorf like?

It is one of my faves for a beach day and breakfast brunch

IKnowNothing Oct 7th 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 12573831)

What’s the Waldorf like?

Not all that really. One thing I do miss is a Ruth Chris's, but sadly no.

Great Italian just off the 311 roundabout (La Burrata), sadly not licensed but I always have a bottle of "Sprite" with me - dirt cheap and owned by Italians.

Brunches at 159 including great pork ribs (and a meat raffle which i won on Friday), are great too.

I don't miss Dubai with the infernal traffic and general pain in the arse to get anywhere.

Brand new 2 beds in the Pacific building on Marjan Island for 40k/year (too far out for me mind you), 2 bed townhouses in Al Hamra for a little more (small kitchens) though.

Not for everyone, but I like it that way, I pay less for a month's rent inclusive of all bills than some of you spend on a night out.

DXBtoDOH Oct 7th 2018 8:34 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12573985)
I pay less for a month's rent inclusive of all bills than some of you spend on a night out.

Either you're living out of your car or you're greatly exaggerating what some of us spend on a night out.

Oh, wait, I forgot Scamp. Never mind ;)

No, seriously, I'm pretty tight but can you get a decent 1-bed in RAK (and I mean decent, not in a crap building packed with labourers) with all utilities for less than 3500 a month? I use that as a benchmark because I went with someone to view a couple "bargain" apartments on the corniche in Ajman once a few years back and they were absolutely dire.

IKnowNothing Oct 7th 2018 9:13 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12574009)
Either you're living out of your car or you're greatly exaggerating what some of us spend on a night out.

Oh, wait, I forgot Scamp. Never mind ;)

No, seriously, I'm pretty tight but can you get a decent 1-bed in RAK (and I mean decent, not in a crap building packed with labourers) with all utilities for less than 3500 a month? I use that as a benchmark because I went with someone to view a couple "bargain" apartments on the corniche in Ajman once a few years back and they were absolutely dire.

You can get an all in studio in Al Hamra for 2,000 mate, no labourers, not many people to be fair.

I went for a small villa/apartment complex, one medium sized villa, 3 x 1 bedroom single story apartments (all detached, all westerners, so more bungalows really) loads of car parking and a swimming pool, gated villa complex, 2,000 a month all in. Sweet. Once you've taken a taxi BACK there, then you call him directly and get a cab within around 30 minutes.

Job sorted, not spunking cash on stuff i don't need and overpriced everything.

I was once a "Scamp", but have moved on.

DXBtoDOH Oct 7th 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12574021)
Once you've taken a taxi BACK there, then you call him directly and get a cab within around 30 minutes.

Typing on Whatsapp the same time you posted on here? That line jumped out of nowhere.

2k a month is an absolute bargain based on what you've described. A single dood on 30k a month in RAK is probably better off than on 40k in Dubai. Plenty of money for weekend R&R in Dubai every other weekend.

IKnowNothing Oct 7th 2018 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12574024)
Typing on Whatsapp the same time you posted on here? That line jumped out of nowhere.

2k a month is an absolute bargain based on what you've described. A single dood on 30k a month in RAK is probably better off than on 40k in Dubai. Plenty of money for weekend R&R in Dubai every other weekend.

Trying to describe where i live is a total and utter waste of time, but once a cab has been here it's a walk in the sand.

I agree on the cash, but, as I've said there are other things you need to look at, I wouldn't want to commute to Dubai every day (I go there and Abu Dhabi 4 times a month between them maximum).

The "laid back atmosphere" goes both ways, some find it boring.

If you're working up here or maybe in Al Hamriya or even Ajman then it makes more sense.