Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Commuting from Dubai to Sharjah

Commuting from Dubai to Sharjah

Old May 31st 2009, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

njc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nice
Default Commuting from Dubai to Sharjah

Hi,

Does anyone make the commute from Dubai to Sharjah for work in morning, and can give advice as to how busy traffic is heading in that direction.

Have been offered a position at Sharjah Airport but wife dead against living in Sharjah as she has read about the dress code etc imposed on woman, and would prefer Dubai.

Any advice/inpiut would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting from Dubai to Sharjah

I'd live in mirdif.

I used to work in Shj (port Khalid) and commuted from mirdif.

Easy commute against the main flow of traffic.

Plus now mirdif is a nice place with lots of things. Back then it was pretty barren.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I'd live in mirdif.

I used to work in Shj (port Khalid) and commuted from mirdif.

Easy commute against the main flow of traffic.

Plus now mirdif is a nice place with lots of things. Back then it was pretty barren.
Yep, concur with the above.
Just make sure you live off the flight path.
Villa prices seem to be going down almost on a daily basis there - at the moment a 3 bed anything from 90-140k, by the end of the summer could well be 70-100k
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Superdarts is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Downtown Burj Dubai with my wife and we both work in Sharjah.
My wife work in the centre and commutes along SZR taking 20 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes to get home. I am at the far side of Sharjah in the Hamriyah Free Zone and it takes me 40 minutes in the morning and 45 / 50 minutes to get back at night.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

When commuting to Sharjah Airport you will only need to avoid the 8.30am Sharjah University traffic leaving Emirates Rd as well as the permanent queue above National Paints R/About when going home. There is supposed to be a massive new shopping mall opening in Mirdiff next year, which might help you choose. Personally I would still consider a villa on the Ajman side of Sharjah. The dress issue is over-rated and you will be near the Sharjah Golf & Shooting Club, which has its own pool I believe.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

rmcboyle is an unknown quantity at this point

njc1982,

When are you starting at Sharjah Airport? I'm starting there in September.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

njc1982,

I'll send you a PM in due course. I have to post 3 times before I can do that though.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

njc1982,

Post number 3. :-)
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

njc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
When commuting to Sharjah Airport you will only need to avoid the 8.30am Sharjah University traffic leaving Emirates Rd as well as the permanent queue above National Paints R/About when going home. There is supposed to be a massive new shopping mall opening in Mirdiff next year, which might help you choose. Personally I would still consider a villa on the Ajman side of Sharjah. The dress issue is over-rated and you will be near the Sharjah Golf & Shooting Club, which has its own pool I believe.
Thanks for all the advice so far, is sharjah not too bad in terms of the rules regarding women? I think Mirdiff is area we like look of and is within budget at least!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

mirdif and take the back road via Khawaneej to the airport, piece of piss