Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Commuting Al Reem (AD) to Dubai?

Commuting Al Reem (AD) to Dubai?

Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commuting Al Reem (AD) to Dubai?

Hi all,

I've been discussing a potential role with a company based in both AD and Dubai. I'd be expected to work at least one day a week in Dubai.

We are planning (based on my wife's job) to get a flat in Abu Dhabi on Al Reem, but I've just heard from this company's HR dept that as Al Reem is far into Abu Dhabi, a Dubai commute would be too difficult and this role might not be for me.

Any thought on this..?
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Commuting Al Reem (AD) to Dubai?

It depends on where the job in Dubai is.

If you are leaving AD in morning and back at night then the majority of the traffic is going the other way. I get from Al Reem to JLT in around 1 hr 15/20 mins. One day a week should not be a problem as I see it.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

reem is doable... but there are other places better suited for commuting to dxb.... look at al reef or raha area or kca or kcb or mbz or hyrda or al ghadeer... the issue with coming off reem is that nitemare traffic from reem island all the way down salam st, it crawls in the morning... better areas to live.... but of course it depends on where you are going to and what your budget etc is
Old Jun 8th 2014, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks - Al Reem is simply much better for my wife (working in Al Bateen) who won't have a car, and fits the fairly low housing allowance we've been given.

The job is near Lamcy Plaza in Dubai, so pretty much all the way through on E11.

Any idea if it would be feasible to come off Reem and go via Saadiyat Island (via E12) and merge with E10 then E11?
Old Jun 8th 2014, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Thanks - Al Reem is simply much better for my wife (working in Al Bateen) who won't have a car, and fits the fairly low housing allowance we've been given.

The job is near Lamcy Plaza in Dubai, so pretty much all the way through on E11.

Any idea if it would be feasible to come off Reem and go via Saadiyat Island (via E12) and merge with E10 then E11?
lamcy is right a way in. yes you can go that way..... but its a bit longer but only the traffic getting off reem and around the corner up to mina once you are on main road its easy. why not look at saadiyat or tourist club area easier to get from there. or go the other side bateen side and then go up 32nd etc
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. I wouldn't wish that journey on an enemy.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Good info, thanks. Do you think it'd be easier to get out of AD if we lived in Al Bateen rather than Reem, then?
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Good luck. I wouldn't wish that journey on an enemy.
That bad, eh? Thanks. Maybe better I look for a job just in AD, then.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Even if you are against the traffic, it's miserable.

Then there are the foggy winter days ....
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

its bad....... and people just wont be told until you actually experience it yourself....
Old Jun 8th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

the fairly low housing allowance we've been given.
Originally Posted by busybee2
why not look at saadiyat
umm, I don't think those two go together...
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

I live on Reem and go to Duabi quite often. I always try and use the Saadiyat way because it's a lot quieter and you can put your foot down all the way to past Al Reef, yes it takes a few more minutes getting past AD Mall but you save more time going that way.

My wife works in Al Bateen, sounds easy just going straight over the bridge, then turning left and right..... but that trip can take 30 minutes some mornings. Still...... wouldnt change living in Reem, even if it took longer..... love the place..... especially now theres a High Spirits on the island......
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by expathopeful
I live on Reem and go to Duabi quite often. I always try and use the Saadiyat way because it's a lot quieter and you can put your foot down all the way to past Al Reef, yes it takes a few more minutes getting past AD Mall but you save more time going that way.

My wife works in Al Bateen, sounds easy just going straight over the bridge, then turning left and right..... but that trip can take 30 minutes some mornings. Still...... wouldnt change living in Reem, even if it took longer..... love the place..... especially now theres a High Spirits on the island......
yes exactly getting over from reem to bateen is quite a way, its how many traffic lights you have to sit at, and even going up to corniche way its still a long way really for 30 mins when you can drive off island into town in that town etc.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by expathopeful

That is good to know about High Spirits, that tower is near mine and I have to drive near there to turn due to crap traffic management on Shams!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Cheers all.

What sort of time does traffic get really busy going from Reem to Bateen? My wife will be working in a school so she has to be at work for 7:30am, is there any chance she'll avoid the chaos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.