British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Commute from Uptown Mirdif to Dubai Marina (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/commute-uptown-mirdif-dubai-marina-871478/)

Qwerty87 Jan 28th 2016 6:51 pm

Commute from Uptown Mirdif to Dubai Marina

According to Google Maps this journey will take around 30 minutes with no traffic.

How long will it actually take during rush hour? When we move out to Dubai my wife has been offered accommodation in Mirdif (near her work in Dubai Festival City) whereas I will have to commute to the Marina to my place of work.

If the commute is horrible we will need to weigh up our options of where to live as the accommodation allowance is poor and will need to be topped up from our salaries (if we were to live elsewhere) by around 40-50K AED per year. This will also mean that my wife would need to drive (another 20K AED at least). If we stayed in Mirdif she will get free transport to and from work. If the commute is manageable then it will be worthwhile staying in Mirdif as it is obviously more money saved.

Second part of my question, if we were to find accommodation where would you recommend that is affordable in between the Marina and Dubai Festival City?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

DXBtoDOH Jan 29th 2016 5:43 am

Re: Commute from Uptown Mirdif to Dubai Marina

Awful. Bloody awful. At least an hour for you in the evenings, less in the AM.

Too bad it isn't the other way around, which would be a breeze.

It'd be easier if you could look into a place like Silicon Oasis, which is reasonable enough and would cut your commute in half.

But free accom is hard to pass up. My advice is to take the accom.

Qwerty87 Jan 29th 2016 12:39 pm

Hmm ok that doesn't sound promising. Would it make any difference if I avoided SZR and went via E 311? Or they both as bad as each other during rush hour?

Thanks

Tockalosh Jan 29th 2016 1:47 pm

The 311 in your direction of travel is horrible especially in the evening.

I travel the 311 to work and back in the opposite direction and it's a dream.

Free accommodation is hard to pass up.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 31st 2016 3:30 am

I did internet city - silicon oasis which is shorter at both ends compared to marina - uptown mirdiff and it was ****ing agony.

Minimum an hour. That was going either SZR or 311.

It's not just the hour driving, it's the hour or stop start fighting and trying to change lanes and the idiocy and the ****ing half wit ***** who are desperate to drive into someone.

I'm in a similar situation, well was. Mrs works in Mirdiff, I was in JLT area. We have always lived in Business Bay. She has a 20min drive, I have the hellish slog.

But not she's in the same place and I walk to work. Stress of commuting is now zero and I can't be any more smug about it that I am.

Millhouse Jan 31st 2016 4:31 am

Don't forget that after you have done the 1hr+ to Mirdif that people here are talking about - you'll have the joy of the traffic lights on rabat street that will take you at least another 25mins in stop-start-beeping-f**** you-cut in front-nose-to-tail traffic.

Thursday nights will be worse - as the sharjah bound traffic will queue past Mirdif and block off the junction.

Shame really, as mirdif is a cracking place to live and the mall there is by far the best in Dubai.

Download comedy podcasts. They kept me sane when I lived in mirdif.

Standanista Jan 31st 2016 12:49 pm

Another option, depending on where you need to get to at the Marina end, is to park up in the multi-storey at Rashidiya station (or get a cab, AED 12) then get the Metro: 51 minutes train journey to the Marina, trains every few minutes and a guaranteed seat in Gold class on the way there at least.

The plan is to extend the Red Line to Mirdif once the Expo/DWC extension is finished, which is no use to you now though. :)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 31st 2016 12:57 pm

Another good option is the latest addition to Uber; Uber Chopper.

mission Jan 31st 2016 1:04 pm

errr some of you who say its an hr, are kidding right? On a GOOD day its at least 30 odd minutes and when i say good day i mean like on the weekends, before afternoon prayers.....when the roads are clear.

during normal rush hr it will take you at least 90 mins door to door.....and thats assuming you don't encounter any accidents.....otherwise you might as well keep your pj's in the car.

Standanista Jan 31st 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11854385)
Another good option is the latest addition to Uber; Uber Chopper.

Which is getting a backie off a Pakistani on a 1970s kids' pushbike.

Qwerty87 Jan 31st 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. It sounds like it will be even worse than I expected!

I will need to take my car to the office as I will need to travel around most days and won't just be office based so taking the Metro won't be an option for me unfortunately.

Areas within budget (AED 90k) on dubizzle are Tecom, Al Barsha, Dubai Sports City, JVT, JVC and Dubai Silicon Oasis. Wife is adamant she is not driving so I think that rules out a number of the options above which are nowhere near a metro line. Even then the metro would only take her as far as Deira and doesn't go to Festival City, so it's a difficult one. Can't find any information on Public transport to festival city, is there any?

Other option will be taxis and I am trying to convince her than once we move there will be others community to DFC from whatever community we end up choosing and she could car share and chip in fuel costs.

If any one has any other thoughts on areas to live please let me know! Thanks

Standanista Jan 31st 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Qwerty87 (Post 11854401)
Can't find any information on Public transport to festival city, is there any?

No in a nutshell but taxis here are cheap and plentiful. There's a cab rank outside Emirates Metro station which will get you to Festival City in 5 minutes for the AED 12 starting fare or a fraction above. That's a more reliable and quicker option than trying to get a cab at Deira City Centre or GGICO.

Standanista Feb 1st 2016 2:12 am

Just to add to the above lest somebody from the Dubai Bus Spotters MeetUp group pick me up for conveying incomplete info, there are buses to Festival City but it's a lot of messing and hanging about, taking two buses to get there from Emirates station in half an hour when you can do it in a taxi in a few minutes for the same money, so I would discount them from any planning.

RTA have a public transport journey planner at:

http://wojhati.rta.ae/dub/XSLT_TRIP_...T2?language=en

co durham boy Feb 1st 2016 3:39 am

That journey will be woeful at anytime . The traffic here now is worse than 2007/2008 and you now have a new 44/311/611 and numerous interchanges into the SZR.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 1st 2016 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Qwerty87 (Post 11854401)
Thanks everyone for your advice. It sounds like it will be even worse than I expected!

I will need to take my car to the office as I will need to travel around most days and won't just be office based so taking the Metro won't be an option for me unfortunately.

Areas within budget (AED 90k) on dubizzle are Tecom, Al Barsha, Dubai Sports City, JVT, JVC and Dubai Silicon Oasis. Wife is adamant she is not driving so I think that rules out a number of the options above which are nowhere near a metro line. Even then the metro would only take her as far as Deira and doesn't go to Festival City, so it's a difficult one. Can't find any information on Public transport to festival city, is there any?

Other option will be taxis and I am trying to convince her than once we move there will be others community to DFC from whatever community we end up choosing and she could car share and chip in fuel costs.

If any one has any other thoughts on areas to live please let me know! Thanks

Why won't she drive?