British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   commute dubai to al ain airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/commute-dubai-al-ain-airport-685905/)

JB22 Sep 17th 2010 10:52 pm

commute dubai to al ain airport

Hello,
Thinking of living in Dubai so family will have more to do after school and on weekends, however do have a concern on travel time from say AR to Al Ain Airport. Any thoughts as we like AR houses and I hear the roads to AA are being improved. All comments grately received.

busybee2 Sep 18th 2010 5:04 am

Re: commute dubai to al ain airport

Originally Posted by JB22 (Post 8856700)
Hello,
Thinking of living in Dubai so family will have more to do after school and on weekends, however do have a concern on travel time from say AR to Al Ain Airport. Any thoughts as we like AR houses and I hear the roads to AA are being improved. All comments grately received.

there is a plan that the al ain to dxb road is going to be upgraded, but then see it then you can believe it, a lot of the contracts have been delayed and this one is no doubt the same, yes it may get done and its well overdue, the roads to al ain can be like a race track in certain places.

Bluelionesse Sep 18th 2010 5:14 am

[QUOTE=JB22;8856700]Hello,
Thinking of living in Dubai so family will have more to do after school and on weekends, however do have a concern on travel time from say AR to Al Ain Airport. Any thoughts as we like AR houses and I hear the roads to AA are being improved. All comments grately received.[/QUOTE

Travel time will be about one and a half hours -will be less once the roadworks - all SIXTY or so kilometres of them are finished in September 2011. There are 50kms on the E66 and about 10kms on the al foah to airport "bypass". Speed limits are either 80kms or 100kms per hour depending what work is being done and there are 2 major diversions at the moment. When it is busy it is a crazy road with only 2 lanes on the 50km outside al ain. The roadworks are to upgrade the whole highway to 3 lanes.

JB22 Sep 18th 2010 9:45 am

[QUOTE=Bluelionesse;8857152]

Originally Posted by JB22 (Post 8856700)
Hello,
Thinking of living in Dubai so family will have more to do after school and on weekends, however do have a concern on travel time from say AR to Al Ain Airport. Any thoughts as we like AR houses and I hear the roads to AA are being improved. All comments grately received.[/QUOTE

Travel time will be about one and a half hours -will be less once the roadworks - all SIXTY or so kilometres of them are finished in September 2011. There are 50kms on the E66 and about 10kms on the al foah to airport "bypass". Speed limits are either 80kms or 100kms per hour depending what work is being done and there are 2 major diversions at the moment. When it is busy it is a crazy road with only 2 lanes on the 50km outside al ain. The roadworks are to upgrade the whole highway to 3 lanes.

So be patient or live in AL Ain. I have seen their driving and it is not to be reckoned with. "Crazy arab driving" on you tube what they can do with an SUV.

Bonny Boy Sep 18th 2010 10:42 am

Another issue is the not uncommon foggy autumn/winter mornings - I've been on that road in foggy conditions and it's not much fun.

busybee2 Sep 18th 2010 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 8857489)
Another issue is the not uncommon foggy autumn/winter mornings - I've been on that road in foggy conditions and it's not much fun.

yep look up ghantoot fog crashes, obviously this was on the ad.dxb road, but the same will occur on the others too!

Bluelionesse Sep 18th 2010 4:05 pm

My husband was very lucky to escape serious injury in a crash only 3 weeks ago. He was driving in the slow lane and someone hit him from behind and catapulted him into the central reservation crash barrier. If you MUST live in Dubai and commute, please get a VERY BIG car with the best safety features you can afford.
The number of crashes increases greatly during Ramadan and Eid, so its a good idea to keep off the roads as much as possible then!
Al Ain isn't such a bad place to live, all my friends with kids manage to keep them occupied after school. Why not go to Dubai a couple of weekends a month - the Golden Sands apartments are very good and cheap too!

JB22 Sep 18th 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse (Post 8857923)
My husband was very lucky to escape serious injury in a crash only 3 weeks ago. He was driving in the slow lane and someone hit him from behind and catapulted him into the central reservation crash barrier. If you MUST live in Dubai and commute, please get a VERY BIG car with the best safety features you can afford.
The number of crashes increases greatly during Ramadan and Eid, so its a good idea to keep off the roads as much as possible then!
Al Ain isn't such a bad place to live, all my friends with kids manage to keep them occupied after school. Why not go to Dubai a couple of weekends a month - the Golden Sands apartments are very good and cheap too!

You speak ith great wisdom

Bigtaff Sep 21st 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by JB22 (Post 8857979)
You speak ith great wisdom

I can confirm that your EXACT drive will be around 1.5 - 1.75 hours as I drive to your new company almost weekly myself :) I've been tipped off about you already :p