Reload this Page >

Coming to Kuwait in September

Coming to Kuwait in September

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

siano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to Kuwait in September

Hello Everyone,
I'm totally new to this forum and to the Middle East... I just wanted to post some questions here and wondered if anyone could help me out there? I'm currently living in Istanbul, Turkey but have been offered a job in Kuwait in September, I've been offered 785 KD (I'm guessing its low - I'm in my 3rd year of teaching) a furnished apartment and return flight tickets. Could anyone offer any advice on if this is good.. or not!? Can I realistically save any money on this salary?

Also can anyone give an overview of life in Kuwait... I keep reading mixed things like there is absolutely no alcohol but people can find it and many Kuwaiti's are often out drunk and on drugs.. ? Whats the truth here? What will I be able to do whilst living there? what can I wear? what cant I wear? What are the people like? Do they really look down on us?

Any advice will be greatly recieved... I'm a 28 year British female just looking for a new challenge and a foot in the Arab world door... Istanbul kinda drags one down after a while!

Thanks in advance.

Sian.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Kuwait in September

Come on over - visit the place

Its good (well i have been here for 3 years) - lifestyle is relaxed, family orientated, driving is hapzard to say the least and offensive driving is needed.

There is probably more alcohol here (home-made) to sink a battleship or 2 - however it is possible to get the original stuff with good contacts (rather expensive around $100 per bottle depending on time of year) - but personally id rather take a day trip to Bahrain/Amman/Dubai

"Kuwaiti's are often out drunk and on drugs" = not true (that i know)

"I've been offered 785 KD" - its the average salary for teachers i believe but you do get accommodation at deep discounts or free so really its all money to save/spend

"What will I be able to do whilst living there?" - there are aactive clubs ranging from sailing/golf/horseriding/shooting (which im into) most things

"what can I wear?" - clothes is usually a good option - but i have seen from full abayas to mini-skirts (not recommended due to the stares)

"what cant I wear?" - Big, shiny, bright pink ties like me as we would clash !

What are the people like? - Usually with 2 arms and legs etc. Nothing good or bad about them that i have found.

Best bet is to come over for a weekend and take a look and form your opinions etc

Hope thats helpful

G

Do they really look down on us?