British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Coming back for more? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/coming-back-more-662895/)

Mister Apr 6th 2010 8:10 pm

Coming back for more?

Hi all.

Just wanted to ask some general advice. I lived in Dubai from 2003-2005, with my wife and 2 young kids. Been working overseas elsewhere since then.

I work in the oil & gas sector, and will possibly have the opportunity to come back to Dubai, perhaps as soon as this summer. Obviously I appreciate Dubai has changed massively since I was there before, but I'm trying to get an understanding of how much it's changed.

Are there still waiting lists for schools? My eldest was at DESS when we were there before - how reasonable is it to consider getting a place for my kids now at DESS or equivalant (Grades 3 & 5)? The 2 main schools then were DESS and JESS - how many decent schools are there now?!

Rents seem to have come down from their peaks - is the a reasonable supply of 4 bed villas for (say) 200-250k, in Jumeirah, Umm Suqeim, Ranches, Green Community (I forget where else there is!) ?

How have some of these newer communities fared since they were thrown up in 2004-2006? Are there still problems with communal services/maintenance?

How's traffic compared to 2005? I used to be able to get to Jebel Ali down Emirates Road in about 25 minutes.

Anything you think has got better/got worse since 2003-2005?

Anything else that might be good to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Jeeper Apr 7th 2010 3:42 am

Re: Coming back for more?

Originally Posted by Mister (Post 8476895)
Hi all.

Just wanted to ask some general advice. I lived in Dubai from 2003-2005, with my wife and 2 young kids. Been working overseas elsewhere since then.

I work in the oil & gas sector, and will possibly have the opportunity to come back to Dubai, perhaps as soon as this summer. Obviously I appreciate Dubai has changed massively since I was there before, but I'm trying to get an understanding of how much it's changed.

Are there still waiting lists for schools? My eldest was at DESS when we were there before - how reasonable is it to consider getting a place for my kids now at DESS or equivalant (Grades 3 & 5)? The 2 main schools then were DESS and JESS - how many decent schools are there now?!

Rents seem to have come down from their peaks - is the a reasonable supply of 4 bed villas for (say) 200-250k, in Jumeirah, Umm Suqeim, Ranches, Green Community (I forget where else there is!) ?

How have some of these newer communities fared since they were thrown up in 2004-2006? Are there still problems with communal services/maintenance?

How's traffic compared to 2005? I used to be able to get to Jebel Ali down Emirates Road in about 25 minutes.

Anything you think has got better/got worse since 2003-2005?

Anything else that might be good to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

The things that were bad in 2005 are now better (rents and traffic). Actually rents may still be higher than 2005 levels...that was about the start of the rent hikes. Traffic is not so much an issue these days.

Overall it has become worse but I can't put my finger on why really....it's 'just the vibe of the thing'....

BurpusMe Apr 7th 2010 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8477851)
The things that were bad in 2005 are now better (rents and traffic). Actually rents may still be higher than 2005 levels...that was about the start of the rent hikes. Traffic is not so much an issue these days.

Overall it has become worse but I can't put my finger on why really....it's 'just the vibe of the thing'....

I think that 'vibe' Jeeper has referred to is also known as 'reality'. Many people have lost their virtual fortunes in badly timed investments, so people aren't splashing out like they used to. Dubai is becoming humble. And boring.

klaus3974 Apr 7th 2010 8:38 am

If you need time to look for that Villa... my family and I will be away from June/July to end of January and we are looking to rent our fully furnished 3 bedroom apartment in Palm Jumeirah, Beach side.