British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Cohabitation - a different spin? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cohabitation-different-spin-811492/)

xoxo Oct 7th 2013 4:47 pm

Cohabitation - a different spin?

This may have been asked before, but would the risks of cohabitation be reduced by having 2 apartments - one in the name of the man, and one in the name of the woman. One would be the main 'habitat' and the other would mainly be used for visiting friends and family and storage.

Presumably if there were ever cause to produce separate lease agreements, this would pass muster. Obviously a detailed investigation would uncover the real cohabitation, but should pass cursory initial examinations.

Has anyone done this, or thought about it?

A friend is thinking of cohabiting and I have suggested this. He didn't agree though and thought it would be impractical and overly expensive.

sicklyman Oct 7th 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Cohabitation - a different spin?

how likely this scenario is may depend entirely on which country you are considering...

xoxo Oct 7th 2013 7:04 pm

Sorry, Dubai.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 8th 2013 4:53 am

Originally Posted by xoxo (Post 10934313)
This may have been asked before, but would the risks of cohabitation be reduced by having 2 apartments - one in the name of the man, and one in the name of the woman. One would be the main 'habitat' and the other would mainly be used for visiting friends and family and storage.

Presumably if there were ever cause to produce separate lease agreements, this would pass muster. Obviously a detailed investigation would uncover the real cohabitation, but should pass cursory initial examinations.

A friend is thinking of cohabiting and I have suggested this. He didn't agree though and thought it would be impractical and overly expensive.

My mrs and I did this.

She's a teacher and got an apartment provided, I got one in mine name (nicer).

We kept hers basically full looking like a lived in home but without ever really going. We did that for two years until her school offered to give her the allowance instead....they knew full well that we'd run two places and seemed grateful that I hadn't lived at hers so don't care that we now have one place that they pay (mostly) for!!

Bit of a touch really.

I wouldn't bother though. Unless one of them is free....

Patsy Stoned Oct 8th 2013 12:31 pm

Lots of people cohabit here..it is not a big deal. As long as you don't flaunt it people don't care. Most couples wear a ring, introduce each other as husband/wife. Don't worry about it.

Blue Cat Oct 8th 2013 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10935629)
Lots of people cohabit here..it is not a big deal. As long as you don't flaunt it people don't care. Most couples wear a ring, introduce each other as husband/wife. Don't worry about it.

I agree, totally no need.

sicklyman Oct 8th 2013 12:57 pm

phew... thought for a minute you were considering Saudi where I would it would be highly inadvisable...

mentalist Oct 9th 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by xoxo (Post 10934528)
Sorry, Dubai.

Buying or even renting two separate apartments seems a bloody expensive option!

Yoohoo Oct 10th 2013 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10935629)

It's a big deal though if you get pregnant. Just bear in mind - if you're pregnant and you want a termination you'll have to leave the region to obtain one. I believe even a miscarriage (in Abu Dhabi - Dubai might be different) requires evidence of marriage to avoid prosecution.

If you're pregnant and you want to have the baby, either here or at home, you'll have to get married. I've heard stories too (and they may just be tales) of the authorities calculating when you must have conceived and using your residency status to determine whether you were breaking the law.

Norm_uk Oct 11th 2013 7:39 pm

If someone is willing to go through all this just get married...why go through all that nonsense?

N.

Tockalosh Oct 13th 2013 1:12 am

I am currently in the bible belt of the US of A and you would be condemned to eternal damnation for what you are considering. Hell I am even feeling guility for touching my mrs titties before we were married in the UAE.

Marry that innocent woman before even laying your evil hands upon her virginial body you sinner or repent in hell forever

The Tockalosh loves bible belt usa and boy can they make a good shredded smoked pork sandwich