British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Clothing! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/clothing-915982/)

hoping2go Aug 12th 2018 8:45 am

Clothing!

Hi all,
my husband is emigrating to Al Ain next month, I intend to join him next year once our lad has finished his gcse's. A couple of basic questions if I may... what's the dress code for ladies in Al Ain? Will I be able to drive out there? Is there a expat/British ladies group? Any chance of me working ? (I lived in Amman as a teen as attend the British ladies group monthly) thanks in advance!

reddiva Aug 12th 2018 8:53 am

Re: Clothing!

Originally Posted by hoping2go (Post 12547079)
Hi all,
my husband is emigrating to Al Ain next month, I intend to join him next year once our lad has finished his gcse's. A couple of basic questions if I may... what's the dress code for ladies in Al Ain? Will I be able to drive out there? Is there a expat/British ladies group? Any chance of me working ? (I lived in Amman as a teen as attend the British ladies group monthly) thanks in advance!

Yes, you can drive everywhere in the UAE. Al Ain is a quieter Emirate, a little more conservative than Dubai and there will be more locals than expats however shoulders and knees should be covered in the malls and public buildings, bikinis are fine on the beaches however you may get some unwarranted attention on the public beaches so i would stick to hotel resorts. Jobs wise will probably be via word of mouth.

DXBtoDOH Aug 12th 2018 10:55 am

First of all, your husband isn't emigrating to Al Ain. He's an expat. This is strictly temporary. It's not moving to Australia.

Just dress normally as per what Reddiva said. In your compound/apartment/hotel pool (many Al Ain families take memberships out at hotel pools) you can pretty much wear anything you want. There are no beaches in Al Ain but I know plenty of women have no issues on Dubai beaches outside the occasional stare. You'll see for yourself.

Bluelionesse Aug 12th 2018 3:10 pm

Will your son be moving out with you? If so please note that your husband cannot sponsor him after 18, insteas he must enrol in higher education or get a job/visa in his own right. Not easy - been there and done that.

Norm_uk Aug 16th 2018 9:09 am

Originally Posted by hoping2go (Post 12547079)
Hi all,

Modest dress by Western standards is more than adequate in most parts of the UAE...including Al Ain.

Women can drive in the UAE. If you have a UK licence you can transfer it to a UAE one once you become a resident.

Nothing stopping you looking for work if you want.

N.