Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Closing bank account vs cashing final payment?

Closing bank account vs cashing final payment?

Old Nov 21st 2015, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Flyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the rough
Question Closing bank account vs cashing final payment?

I've looked for this info on previous posts, but no success, so I hope someone on here may know the answer.

My employer in UAE has told me that only on my last day (a Thursday) can I hand in my work-related ID, and then they will start the process of raising the cheque for my final payment - will take from Sunday to Tuesday, leaving me 2 days until I fly. By then I will have done all the signing-off /cancelling visa, Emirates ID/ supplying no-liability letters from bank and utilities, etc. And of course, wilł be staying in a hotel because I had to leave my apartment in order to get everything signed off

However, my bank has told me that to issue a no-liability letter all accounts must be closed; my employer has informed me that they will only issue a cheque and will not transfer money abroad. Is this normal? Do banks accept that when you used to be a customer and come in with a final payment cheque they will give you the cash? Or let you transfer the money to the UK?

Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to give me.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing bank account vs cashing final payment?

I may soon be in the same position and would love to know the answer. I sincerely doubt that such a large amount of cash will be handed over.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

In the absence of anyone who knows for certain... I was told a few years ago that you'll get a cheque from the company which can then be cashed at the issuing branch (or any of the same bank) - but NOT whoever you used to bank with, unless its the same bank. You need, clearly, to ensure you have the cheque in your hands well before bank closing time.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
In the absence of anyone who knows for certain... I was told a few years ago that you'll get a cheque from the company which can then be cashed at the issuing branch (or any of the same bank) ......
That sounds plausible. IME (admittedly not in the Middle East) banks will cash what they call "on us cheques" i.e. ones drawn on an account at their bank, provided, of course, that you can show ID matching the payee name on the cheque.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Flyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for that information. Just another bump in the road to being able to leave stress-free.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 2:28 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That sounds plausible. IME (admittedly not in the Middle East) banks will cash what they call "on us cheques" i.e. ones drawn on an account at their bank, provided, of course, that you can show ID matching the payee name on the cheque.
+1

Done this many times. No waiting for a cheque to clear that way....