British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Christmas crackers through customs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/christmas-crackers-through-customs-640626/)

Victor Meldrew Nov 15th 2009 12:45 pm

Christmas crackers through customs?

My brother and son are coming over to Dubai for the Eid holiday. We want to have a 'Christmas dinner' as I wont see them over Christmas.

I want my son (adult age) to bring some Christmas Crackers over.

Does anybody know if this will cause a problem at customs (as in flamable substance/gunpowder etc)

Any sensible comments welcome ;)

Roadking Nov 15th 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Christmas crackers through customs?

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8099658)
My brother and son are coming over to Dubai for the Eid holiday. We want to have a 'Christmas dinner' as I wont see them over Christmas.

Does anybody know if this will cause a problem at customs (as in flamable substance/gunpowder etc)

Can't see why it should be an issue, they sell them here. I'm pretty sure Mrs RK brought some back a couple of years ago.

That is unless you really want Christmas to go with a bang and he's planning on loading them with TNT (for the cartoon effect!)

shakh your bootie Nov 15th 2009 12:49 pm

Hello Victor. I'm afraid you're out of luck, old chap. They'll deprive you of your crackers at Heathrow. I'm pretty sure you can buy them in the UAE, though?

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?ChPath=Heathrow^General^Airport%20i nformation^Security%20control&securityCountryGUID= fd2cb7b277c35110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____

Arcadia Nov 15th 2009 1:17 pm

You can buy crackers in most shops..in a few weeks they will be all over, I think most places are decorated for Eid at the moment, then Christmas will be everywhere.

Meow Nov 15th 2009 1:23 pm

You cannot take crackers on planes.

What's the point anyway when both ACE and M&S already have a decent range in stock?

-

MataHari Nov 15th 2009 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Arcadia (Post 8099700)
You can buy crackers in most shops..in a few weeks they will be all over, I think most places are decorated for Eid at the moment, then Christmas will be everywhere.

there are Xmas trees up already in the shops...
and yes, the crackers, you can buy them over here, Spinneys does them for sure, M&S, Debenhams etc...

Blue Cat Nov 16th 2009 3:39 am

you really need to get out more and discover the City you live in, like the others have said you can buy Crackers here and common sense would have to make you think that they aren't allowed on a plane :)

Millhouse Nov 16th 2009 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8101056)
you really need to get out more and discover the City you live in, like the others have said you can buy Crackers here and common sense would have to make you think that they aren't allowed on a plane :)

They sell them in Spinneys, that's hardy going out and discovering the city... that's more like just opening your eyes when you go and buy the milk!

Victor Meldrew Nov 16th 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8101056)

I realise that crackers might be sold in Dubai, but wasnt sure if they would be when they are over (end November). I get out enough thanks.

Common sense would tell me that there are some anomolies with regards to things being allowed in a plane and that there are some things which can be carried in the hold luggage but not in hand luggage. I was just asking for clarification.

I did ask for sensible replies initially. Thanks for your contribution :huh:

Blue Cat Nov 17th 2009 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8101991)
I realise that crackers might be sold in Dubai, but wasnt sure if they would be when they are over (end November). I get out enough thanks.

Common sense would tell me that there are some anomolies with regards to things being allowed in a plane and that there are some things which can be carried in the hold luggage but not in hand luggage. I was just asking for clarification.

I did ask for sensible replies initially. Thanks for your contribution :huh:

they have them in Marks and Spencers :)

Victor Meldrew Nov 17th 2009 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8103832)
they have them in Marks and Spencers :)

Thank you, I shall whizz there for a box this weekend..........:thumbsup:

Blue Cat Nov 17th 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8104694)
Thank you, I shall whizz there for a box this weekend..........:thumbsup:

AND just this very afternoon I saw some in Choithrams at the Greens :)

Victor Meldrew Dec 18th 2009 4:13 am

..... and the irony of it was that, having bought the crackers (from Carrefoure in the end, we had a great Christmas dinner, sat down at the end and after about 2 hours spotted a red box next to the dining table.

We forgot to put out the crackers!!

as a footnote, I found this under the terms and conditions for Emirates:

8.4 Firearms and dangerous items
8.4.1 If you wish to carry Firearms, ammunition and explosives including items containing explosives (for example, Christmas crackers, fireworks or fire crackers) as Checked Baggage it is your responsibility to inform yourself of, and ensure that you have obtained, all required clearances from the government authorities of the country of departure and the country of
destination before commencing your carriage.

8.4.2 Firearms, ammunition and explosives including items containing explosives (for example, Christmas crackers, fireworks or fire crackers) will not be accepted as Checked Baggage, unless approved by us no less than 3 Days before your flight. If accepted for carriage, firearms must be unloaded with the safety catch on, and suitably packed and accompanied by all documents legally required by the countries of departure, destination and
any Stopovers. Carriage of ammunition is subject to ICAO and IATA regulations as specified in Article 8.3.2(a). Your firearms, ammunitions and explosives will never be carried in the cabin or cockpit of the aircraft.

Bijilo123 Dec 18th 2009 5:51 am

You've had Christmas dinner already? You must be crackers!:)

Happy Christmas!

Victor Meldrew Dec 18th 2009 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8182126)
You've had Christmas dinner already? You must be crackers!:)

Happy Christmas!

My brother and son came out for the Eid break. I wont be seeing them over Christmas, so we decided to have a 'faux Christmas Dinner' over Eid instead.

But yes, we're pretty much crackers as well:eek: