Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Chip & pin credit cards

Chip & pin credit cards

Old Dec 20th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chip & pin credit cards

Do any of the banks here in UAE issue these?

More and more retailers in the UK seem to be rejecting swipe cards.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 8:13 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chip & pin credit cards

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh

Lloyds TSB - all are chip and pin.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 8:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of the latest cards have a chip and pin facility. Not all retailers in the UAE use this though.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They shouldn't...lot of countries don't use the system, the US is one of the big ones that is still in the dark ages and it's not been a problem for most people, they just mention they aren't UK residents to don't have a chip/pin card, some have to pay at a customer service desk though.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:20 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They shouldn't...lot of countries don't use the system, the US is one of the big ones that is still in the dark ages and it's not been a problem for most people, they just mention they aren't UK residents to don't have a chip/pin card, some have to pay at a customer service desk though.
It's just misinformed staff. I had an argument with a girl at a checkout in a store last year because she said she couldn't let me sign for my purchase because it was a chip and pin card; I had to enter my PIN, despite the fact that it spewed out a signing form. She just wouldn't accept it was an HSBC Middle East card and not a UK one, despite the Arabic on the back.

It's the same with the credit cards. Just point out the Arabic on the back and they should be fine. Otherwise demand to speak to the supervisor.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I've had issues with two electrical retailers - who said that they only accept chip & pin cards and another time at Tesco who wouldn't accept a swipe card for any purchase over £100.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

they are going to be bringing them in soon i believe.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had issues with two electrical retailers - who said that they only accept chip & pin cards and another time at Tesco who wouldn't accept a swipe card for any purchase over £100.
when ever i have used in the uk you just have to explain that there is no pin and that it will spit out a slip for you to sign, never had any probs
Old Dec 20th 2011, 5:17 pm