British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Childrens Birthday Parties In AD-Do You think They Are "Normal" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/childrens-birthday-parties-ad-do-you-think-they-normal-690442/)

orlan Oct 21st 2010 6:25 am

Childrens Birthday Parties In AD-Do You think They Are "Normal"

Having spent many years in the Middle East what are your opinions on "Normal" (We all have our own definitions).
We have been to some, what I call ridiculous, childrens parties.
I got the impression that it was more a case of;
"One-upmanship"
"We can spend more money than you"
"Lets get drunk while we pay someone else to entertain the kids"

What do you think?
What experiences have you had ?
Do you think these types of parties have any effect on your children ?

What types of childrens parties go on in AD ?

Millhouse Oct 21st 2010 7:08 am

Re: Childrens Birthday Parties In AD-Do You think They Are "Normal"

Originally Posted by orlan (Post 8932709)
Having spent many years in the Middle East what are your opinions on "Normal" (We all have our own definitions).
We have been to some, what I call ridiculous, childrens parties.
I got the impression that it was more a case of;
"One-upmanship"
"We can spend more money than you"
"Lets get drunk while we pay someone else to entertain the kids"

What do you think?
What experiences have you had ?
Do you think these types of parties have any effect on your children ?

What types of childrens parties go on in AD ?

attendance and/ or hosting parties isn't compulsory...

orlan Oct 21st 2010 7:41 am

Ofcourse it isn't Millhouse.
But would not that sort of action alienate your child?
My post was based on returning back to Ireland and the difffeernces between the two.
Yes, I guess this realates to finance to a degree, but I was after views on if the type of thing mentioned would have an effect on the child if, when they returned back to their place of birth ?
Would they interpret having those types of parties as "normal"
Perhaps you as parents may not think in these areas until you return "home"
As expats, do you not consider the values and concepts that your children adopt during their expat life ?
I am not attcking the expat life... I was one for many years, and have had comments from my family and friends back home such as "The Raj is dead" and "Stepford wives".
Ofcourse I was looking at my life at that time as "normal", where I was living.
Intersting comments don't you think ?

lionheart Oct 21st 2010 7:46 am

Our daughter usually attends birthday parties held at places like Dubai Mall Ice Rink, Fun City and McDonalds so no major showing-off involved. The only downside here is the need to buy 30 bags of goodies for her to take to school for her classmates. It took me over two hours doing that job last time.

orlan Oct 21st 2010 7:56 am

Yes we had all of those in Dubai Lion.
We also had camels, hawks, champagne, the fun bus, etc...etc.....
It just seemed to escalate the longer we were there, and this was for 5-6 year olds. God knows what they are doing now.... perhaps Bransons new flight to space will soon be seen. (Joking)
Sorry for the exaggeration, I dont mean to offend.
just wondered if AD was the same.

Millhouse Oct 21st 2010 8:08 am

Originally Posted by orlan (Post 8932824)
Yes we had all of those in Dubai Lion.
We also had camels, hawks, champagne, the fun bus, etc...etc.....
It just seemed to escalate the longer we were there, and this was for 5-6 year olds. God knows what they are doing now.... perhaps Bransons new flight to space will soon be seen. (Joking)
Sorry for the exaggeration, I dont mean to offend.
just wondered if AD was the same.

In AD all the parties I attended where in those awful play centers in the Malls. The pain lasts about 3 hours - sadly no blow jobs behind the bouncy castle for me.

The trick is the same everywhere... don't spoil your kids and turn them into little shits. It's no different here. Mini knows he will never go to ski-dubai.

orlan Oct 21st 2010 8:16 am

So what did you do for minis' brithday Millhouse... if I may ask ?

Millhouse Oct 21st 2010 8:20 am

Originally Posted by orlan (Post 8932852)
So what did you do for minis' brithday Millhouse... if I may ask ?

ah mate, it was awesome, we went to the indoor sky-diving centre in AD in the morning followed by jet-skis in the afternoon. 25 kids all in. great day.

only kidding:

it's in the summer...He had a picnic in the UK with is cousins.

We might throw him a party for his mates here, but it would be no more than a BBQ in our back garden and in fairness it's very unlikely that we will do that! I'm a miserable bugger. mini is also still very young so no pressure yet.

Roadking Oct 21st 2010 8:21 am

Isn't the real question; should I allow my maid to enjoy the birthday party and mingle with the kids...or should I make her wait outside.

Did I enter the wrong website?

Millhouse Oct 21st 2010 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8932861)
Isn't the real question; should I allow my maid to enjoy the birthday party and mingle with the kids...or should I make her wait outside.

Did I enter the wrong website?

neither. she should be too busy cleaning up, making Mijtos for the parents and entertaining the kids in a Barney suit in 40oC heat!

orlan Oct 21st 2010 8:28 am

LOL
Like you sense of humour Millhouse.........
The picnic sounds great fun...
My daughters birthday is in August so we usually had the real one at home, but................
We had something in Dubai before we left for her close friends, tried to keep it as real as we could with a bit of involvement from us...and had a laugh with the kids.
I really dont think it is a case of being a miserable bugger, although by your own words you might be, but instead keeping their feet on the ground

Blue Cat Oct 21st 2010 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8932809)
Our daughter usually attends birthday parties held at places like Dubai Mall Ice Rink, Fun City and McDonalds so no major showing-off involved. The only downside here is the need to buy 30 bags of goodies for her to take to school for her classmates. It took me over two hours doing that job last time.

don't have parties that is the easiest way :)

Hello.Kitty Oct 21st 2010 7:12 pm

I long for the day where I can just drop Her Ladyship off and go "have fun, don't wreck too much see you later!"... but sadly I think that's a long way off.

Anyhow, I also think it very much depends on the crowd you hang out with. If your group of friends (and by extension, children's friends) are down-to-earth people, who don't set much store on one-upmanship, then you're not going to feel the pressure.

Ofc, my eldest is only 3, so is easy to please. She got a good old-fashioned party round ours where a silly number of toddlers rampaged around mainly not doing party games and filling up on crisps. They did get party-bags though with a little toy, some stickers and a gingerbread man. Result.

If anyone wanted to invite me, sorry, DD (or DS, bless him!) to a stupidly expensive birthday party, that's fine, and I'd be glad to go... but would never feel the need to compete. Nothing beats a gingerbread man.

lionheart Oct 21st 2010 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8933300)
don't have parties that is the easiest way :)

The parties are no problem. Its the giving of prezzies to 30+ class mates at school, which I dislike. It takes so much trouble...and for what? A few candies in a bag. Still, when in Mumbai, do what the locals do.:D

Kim67 Oct 21st 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8934224)
The parties are no problem. Its the giving of prezzies to 30+ class mates at school, which I dislike. It takes so much trouble...and for what? A few candies in a bag. Still, when in Mumbai, do what the locals do.:D

No way, don't do that! That's just ridiculous! My kids got pressies from local kids and stuff, but hardly anyone else does the take a gift for the whole class. My kids had normal parties at home - my son was due a biggy this year actually so a group of 22 of us went to TGI's at the Dubai Mall to watch the fountains. Wasn't that expensive either. Anyway why are there 30+ kids in your daughter's class - I'd go on EW to sort that one out if I were you!!!