Childcare costs

Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Akitect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childcare costs

Hi all,

Could someone please advise what the childcare costs are like in Dubai, Sharjah and AD? I pay about £850 a month for 4 full days a week here in the UK and was wondering if nurseries are more expensive there. What I pay here includes food and nappies, although I wish for the rate they charge here they should provide caviar for lunch, but they dont.
I heard nannies are common there, are they expensive?
Thanks

Cheers
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare costs

childcare is very different here to the uk...nurseries (in general) only open in the morning, and close for all public holidays, summer holiday, christmas, half term, etc, etc...it's not cheap, my son's nursery was around 6,000 per term...There are a handful of nurseries that open all day, but i think they have long waiting lists...

if by nanny, you mean maid/helper, the going rate is around 1,800 dhs a month but, of course, they aren't qualified childcarers...

MM, xx
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
childcare is very different here to the uk...nurseries (in general) only open in the morning, and close for all public holidays, summer holiday, christmas, half term, etc, etc...it's not cheap, my son's nursery was around 6,000 per term...There are a handful of nurseries that open all day, but i think they have long waiting lists...

if by nanny, you mean maid/helper, the going rate is around 1,800 dhs a month but, of course, they aren't qualified childcarers...

MM, xx
Thanks MM. Do they have qualified childminders there at all? Are they good? When you say AED 6k per term that equates to £953 per term. It appears cheaper than here because it works out £240 per month assuming its 4 months per term??. Thats a lot less than what I am paying here. I take it the rate you said was for a full 5 day week at the nursery? What sort of waiting times are we looking at?
Are chilminders available there? Or is that not an option at all.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Akitect
Thanks MM. Do they have qualified childminders there at all? Are they good? When you say AED 6k per term that equates to £953 per term. It appears cheaper than here because it works out £240 per month assuming its 4 months per term??. Thats a lot less than what I am paying here. I take it the rate you said was for a full 5 day week at the nursery? What sort of waiting times are we looking at?
Are chilminders available there? Or is that not an option at all.
take a look on here, it will give you info on various nurseries, plus loads of other good stuff http://www.dubaikidz.biz/nurseries.html. As i said, the costs are for half days only, and there are a hell of a lot of holidays, so it's not as cheap as it seems...!

there aren't any childminders as we'd know them, as far as i'm aware...as i said, lots of people use helpers and have no issues...

MM, xx
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
From personal experience - our nursery (Bright Beginnings in AD) opens 7am to 2pm with an afternoon club until 4pm (that's an extra fee). For a three day week, we are paying about 1000 AED per month.

For the holidays, they close Islamic and Christian holidays.

The majority of nurseries in AD have significant waiting lists, Bright Beginnings is now only accepting applications for the September 2009 waiting list.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:49 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewpops
From personal experience - our nursery (Bright Beginnings in AD) opens 7am to 2pm with an afternoon club until 4pm (that's an extra fee). For a three day week, we are paying about 1000 AED per month.
That seems very cheap by local standards. From my research, 1500-2000 AED is more likely here in Dubai plus transport, books and uniforms.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:07 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Maddie goes to Jebel ali Village Nursery two full days per week.... 9000 AED per term!! No refunds for holidays and days off.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Zannie I am paying that for full time school!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Zannie I am paying that for full time school!
Seems about the same I pay here (in the UK) for 4 days a week which is £850 per month.