British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Child swimming lessons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/child-swimming-lessons-687399/)

Millhouse Sep 29th 2010 4:36 am

Child swimming lessons

It turns out that Mini Millhouse sinks like a sack of potatoes when you take his arm bands off and I'm under pressure to put him in lessons.

Obviously, I will try and teach him myself but does anyone know of where I can take him for lessons (or better still, someone on the Ranches who offers them). Of course at a reasonable price... 170Dh/ hour is not reasonable.

Mini Millhouse is 3 years old.

vastmassive Sep 29th 2010 6:31 am

Re: Child swimming lessons

good Morning EmiratesMillhouse.

Dynamic Live Sports offers Private Swimming lessons for all ages and levels and they come to your pool to teach at your convenience... they have an add on Dubizzle, Contact steve on 050 937 2475 and yes your correct 170AED per hour is too high

Millhouse Sep 29th 2010 7:24 am

Originally Posted by vastmassive (Post 8883423)
good Morning EmiratesMillhouse.

Dynamic Live Sports offers Private Swimming lessons for all ages and levels and they come to your pool to teach at your convenience... they have an add on Dubizzle, Contact steve on 050 937 2475 and yes your correct 170AED per hour is too high

Thanks - will look them up.

rowell Sep 29th 2010 8:36 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8883256)
It turns out that Mini Millhouse sinks like a sack of potatoes when you take his arm bands off and I'm under pressure to put him in lessons.

Obviously, I will try and teach him myself but does anyone know of where I can take him for lessons (or better still, someone on the Ranches who offers them). Of course at a reasonable price... 170Dh/ hour is not reasonable.

Someone runs swimming groups for all ages at JBR, I am out of town till Sat but when back will post details.

Victor Meldrew Sep 29th 2010 1:40 pm

I disagree that 170 aed is too high if this is for 1 to 1 tuition., with a good, experienced tutor. It is probably at the higher end, but not too much.

With a good teacher, you can achieve great progress in a relatively short amount of time (ie 30 minutes).

You might get a tutor for 100 aed but might also find that the improvement rate is slow.

I used to charge 100 aed for 30 minutes (1 child), 75 aed per child for 2 children, 30 minutes, and 60 aed per child for 3 children, 30 minutes.

I think the 'going rate' however is about 100 aed per hour.

You might want to check out JESS Ranches school. They have a new school coach, who is very good and has achieved big improvements in the 12 months he has been there. I believe he also does private small group lessons at the Ranches.

Alternatively Active Sport do learn to swim programmes as do Speedo.

vastmassive Sep 29th 2010 3:32 pm

I wouldn't go anywhere near Active sports even if I had a 10 foot pole They hire young "just out of school" staff and in most cases have no qualifications. A friend of ours sent their child to one of their camps and when their son came home with a big bump on their head they found that they had been left with 17 year old coaches all day who had absolutly no control over them at all. I don't like slagging off anybody but trust for me is not somthing I would give Active Sports.

Victor Meldrew Sep 29th 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by vastmassive (Post 8884584)
I wouldn't go anywhere near Active sports even if I had a 10 foot pole They hire young "just out of school" staff and in most cases have no qualifications. A friend of ours sent their child to one of their camps and when their son came home with a big bump on their head they found that they had been left with 17 year old coaches all day who had absolutly no control over them at all. I don't like slagging off anybody but trust for me is not somthing I would give Active Sports.

I think their swim programme may be different to their camps. They have regular, qualified and mature staff.

Regards 17 year old coaches, I didnt think anybody under 18 could get a work permit in UAE? and I am sure the owners of Active Sports would not do this illegally.

vastmassive Sep 29th 2010 5:03 pm

This was what caused all of the fuss as they had them as "volunteers" and left them in charge!!!!!!!

They may have learnt from their mistakes but the trust has gone sorry to be a pain!!!!!

ctfc Sep 30th 2010 6:15 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8883256)

Ask the pool attendant guy at whichever is your nearest Ranches pool - there are quite a few classes going on regularly in Ranches pools with professional teachers and they should know who/where

Millhouse Sep 30th 2010 6:16 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8886213)
Ask the pool attendant guy at whichever is your nearest Ranches pool - there are quite a few classes going on regularly in Ranches pools with professional teachers and they should know who/where

very good idea. I shall do that tomorrow!

TGFKASE Sep 30th 2010 7:11 am

I have no idea of the cost, buy a Saffer lassie runs a class at Jebel Ali Recreation Club. May be worth giving them a shout..

Sandboy Sep 30th 2010 10:02 am

Kati's Aquatots - friend of mine, highly recommended
kati2106 @ eim. ae

Amazing lessons in the water for the young ones
Starting January, Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club will be offering kids swimming lessons. Lessons will be conducted by Kati’s Aqutots instructors who are Austswim trained and have experience with children of all ages. Group classes includes:

• Aqua Baby Classes - Babies 6 months and older with Parent and Instructor. Maximum of 10 in a group.
• Frog Classes - 4 children in a class, with Parent and Instructor
• Jelly Fish Classes - 4 children in a class, with Instructor
• Starfish Classes - 5 children in a class, with Instructor
• Seahorse Classes - 6 children in a class, with Instructor
• Dolphin Classes - Squad training with 8 children in a class and Instructor

Venue: Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club
Organiser: Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club
Address: Deira
Telephone: +971 50 654 6965, +971 55 815 6949
Email: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]