Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Check my job offer in Qatar?

Check my job offer in Qatar?

Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Mloc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Check my job offer in Qatar?

Been reading for a while, and looking at old threads but nothing recent gave me an indication. Been offerred a job, and would appreciate thoughts on it's suitability ...

Married, wife, +2 kids (primary/elementary, and pre-school)
Mid-level management in IT related role, 15 yrs experience

Ongoing:
22,000 QAR per mth (~6K USD, 3.8K GBP)
Transport allowance, 300 QAR per mth (seems *VERY* low? What is this for, if not car lease/hire?)
Family housing included, inclusive of utilities, in company new compound
Family medical insurance
Return economy fares to 'home' for family, per annum
5 weeks annual leave, + std national holidays

Once Off:
Relocation costs, including visas and immigration (passports our cost)
Relocation of personal affects
End of service gratuity (std 1 mth per year)

Ad-Hoc:
Return economy fare (one, not family) for death of immediate family member, + 1 week paid leave

The biggest expenses that I can see would be:
4,000 QAR per mth school (1 x primary/elementary)
4,000 QAR per mth groceries (family of 4)
6,000 QAR per mth car hire/lease.
2,000 QAR per mth entertainment
= not much savings!

Would appreciate comments, especially on a) if salary is good, and b) if I have expenses approx. correct.

Thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Check my job offer in Qatar?

seems a fair estimate except I spend more like QR 6000/month entertainment and QR 2000 on car hire.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Atlas Indian bicycle 300 QAR
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

QR 6K per month for car seems waaay to high.

Bottom line though the salary being offered is pretty crap.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:49 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackwow
QR 6K per month for car seems waaay to high.

Bottom line though the salary being offered is pretty crap.
I'd suggest a modest 'safe' car out here, like a Landcruier Prado, will cost around QR5k a month to rent.

If, like me, you want to drive around in an entry level car like a Nissan Sunny Classic (white of course) then you'll pay QR2.5k/ month and can expect to be put off the road at least once a week by said Landcruiser drivers, scowling at you for getting in their way.

I'd budget for QR6k/m for the 4x4 and to allow some headroom for monthly accident repairs.

[J]
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The deal is poor . No schooling included means you'll really struggle . Not worth being in a dump like Qatar if you're struggling .

You'll not get a pogo stick for 300 QAR per month and company housing could mean a 2 bedroom apartment in Al Wakra or the Industrial area both of which are slums .

Be careful it's expensive to live here and it's not Las Vegas . You need good hard cash especially if you have the family with you.

Single fellas can rough it a little when needs must but it needs to be bang on if you've got the Mrs and the kids with you.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The deal is poor . No schooling included means you'll really struggle . Not worth being in a dump like Qatar if you're struggling .

You'll not get a pogo stick for 300 QAR per month and company housing could mean a 2 bedroom apartment in Al Wakra or the Industrial area both of which are slums .
The OP needs to raise this to 500 QAR which should secure a tandem pogo stick (for him and his wife) and two space hoppers for the kids. It will be a bit sweaty in Summer though so try and stretch to 550 QAR to get handheld fans included.

In short, tell the bearer of this offer to shove it!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:46 am
Just Joined

You'll not get a pogo stick for 300 QAR per month
My wife suggests it is for petrol expense only? What's the point really, is my thinking.

apartment in Al Wakra or the Industrial area both of which are slums.
Is Al Duhail (a little west, towards the Al Gharrafa Sports Club) considered a good/reasonable area?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
In short, tell the bearer of this offer to shove it!
Thanks. Same to all other feedback givers. Appreciate it.

I have gone back with a counter offer.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mloc
My wife suggests it is for petrol expense only? What's the point really, is my thinking.

Is Al Duhail (a little west, towards the Al Gharrafa Sports Club) considered a good/reasonable area?
300 QAR will keep a 4x4 topped up in fuel for about a month .

Duhail is ok , nothing much there to be honest , just a basic residential area . You wouldn't choose that location if you had the choice though that's the problem .

Plus the deals shit mate in my opinion , you need the schooling then more basic before you even think about it , hit them for more .
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If you're not very good at what you do then it's probably alright.

If you're good, then ask for more.