Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to ship a couple of extra cases / large boxes to UAE

Cheapest way to ship a couple of extra cases / large boxes to UAE

Old Apr 16th 2017, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheapest way to ship a couple of extra cases / large boxes to UAE

My wife is flying over to Abu Dhabi next month. She’s Etihad Silver so gets 2 hold baggage, but that isn’t quite enough.

We have a baby on the way so would like to buy pram, car seat etc. in the UK and bring it over. Etihad charge USD 252 per bag for extra luggage

Is there a cheap way to ship a couple of boxes/cases to UAE. We have plenty of time so sticking in on a container ship wouldn’t be a problem.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest way to ship a couple of extra cases / large boxes to UAE

Pram and car seat can go with you on the plane at no extra cost. You take them with you to check in. The car seat needs to be wrapped, usually.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Pram and car seat can go with you on the plane at no extra cost. You take them with you to check in. The car seat needs to be wrapped, usually.
Even if we don't have a baby with us? She'll be travelling 6 months preggers
Old Apr 16th 2017, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

If she's travelling alone and 6 months pregnant, you probably don't want her to be dragging all the extra luggage around on her own anyway.

Any reason you can't buy the car seat and pram in the UAE? They have pretty much everything here that's available in the UK, probably a bit more expensive but then you'll be saving on the cost of shipping it here.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If she's silver why not pay for upgrade to business? WOuld that cover the extra weight?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
If she's silver why not pay for upgrade to business? WOuld that cover the extra weight?
I looked at that, but it's a *lot* of extra money. And same luggage allowance. We got the silver through a UK credit card promotion, not by flying.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy here. Not worth the hassle of tromping it half way across the world.

Either that or decide what it is you want and get it online and delivered here.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Just buy here. Not worth the hassle of tromping it half way across the world.
I guess it comes down to finances, but when we had the first sprog, we saved 600.00 GBP buying the car seat / pram in the UK versus buying the same model here. Shipping on these things can cost a fortune due to the size of the packaging.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 7:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I guess it comes down to finances, but when we had the first sprog, we saved 600.00 GBP buying the car seat / pram in the UK versus buying the same model here. Shipping on these things can cost a fortune due to the size of the packaging.
600 GBP is a lot to save...
Can't help but feel that the hassle and extra cost means that the 'savings' get eroded? What's the cut off?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983

There must be a pretty healthy second hand market for this kind of thing no....?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 7:52 am
Account Closed

There must be a pretty healthy second hand market for this kind of thing no....?
I think, especially if newborn, asking your pregnant wife to consider a used buggy / cot / car seat etc is like asking you to drink the pint I just drank as it comes out of my bellend.

Apparently.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I think, especially if newborn, asking your pregnant wife to consider a used buggy / cot / car seat etc is like asking you to drink the pint I just drank as it comes out of my bellend.

Apparently.

Wouldn't know. For the price of these things though I would certainly be proposing it....
Old Apr 17th 2017, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Wouldn't know. For the price of these things though I would certainly be proposing it....
I suggested it to my mate in front of his pregnant wife a year or so ago. He just looked at me and laughed, then panicked, then said I was on my own.

She, politely, explained that they'd had this conversation and it finished with him handing over the credit card and agreeing that it was most important to spend X,000 on a pushchair.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 8:07 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggested it to my mate in front of his pregnant wife a year or so ago. He just looked at me and laughed, then panicked, then said I was on my own.

She, politely, explained that they'd had this conversation and it finished with him handing over the credit card and agreeing that it was most important to spend X,000 on a pushchair.
Yes, it's silly spending vast amounts on baby stuff - how long will you use it for? A couple of years or less for some prams maybe. Also where will you be living? In some flats - small/less is good.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Screw that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.