Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to call back to the UK?

Cheapest way to call back to the UK?

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Vitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really nice
Default Cheapest way to call back to the UK?

What's my best option? I'm living at a hotel for the next couple of weeks then moving into an apt.

O2 charges me 170p/min () to the UK from my mobile. There's got to be better options?

Any good calling cards for example?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Vitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really niceVitriol01 is just really nice
Default Re: Cheapest way to call back to the UK?

http://www.cloncom.com/pc_index.jsp

Would that work? I know it uses PC but it's not Skype!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:29 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post

whatever you use if its a money based user make sure you don't put too much on it - we did that a couple of years back and then it was blocked and lost the credit!!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fairydust View Post
whatever you use if its a money based user make sure you don't put too much on it - we did that a couple of years back and then it was blocked and lost the credit!!
Get them yo call you: simple
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

use the work phone !!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:15 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

What's my best option? I'm living at a hotel for the next couple of weeks then moving into an apt.

O2 charges me 170p/min () to the UK from my mobile. There's got to be better options?

Can you not get Skype over there???
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

xqbgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Cheapest way to call back to the UK?

I agree with Oktoberon. I call my daughter on her Dubai mobile phone from my UK landline for 12p per minute using 18185.co.uk which bypasses BT and is charged to my credit card. I also text her for 1p per text via my PC using the same website. Hope this is of help to you.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Tesco internet phone - seriously, 1p/minute to the UK plus UK land line number to call in on. Need to buy the handset from the UK (although not needed). PM me for further details.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

18185 sounds good. I'll check into that.

Oh and I'll definitely look into that Tesco phone.

Insef - work phone is difficult as we're open plan here unless I wait until everyone leaves in the evening!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:30 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reecefam View Post
Can you not get Skype over there???
Officially it's illegal and therefore blocked... but it's easy to get around that.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

I use GoogleTalk. Talk to my son everyday for nothing.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larnie View Post
I use GoogleTalk. Talk to my son everyday for nothing.
at the moment skype is only blocked if you are calling a landline or mobile. If you are calling PC to PC it works no problem and is free.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
at the moment skype is only blocked if you are calling a landline or mobile. If you are calling PC to PC it works no problem and is free.
Inselaffen, i've just downloaded skype here cos i thought i couldn't do it in Dubai...is there anything else i need to download to make it work before i come back??

MM, xx
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:52 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
Thanks guys...
Old Sep 8th 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Gulfstreamaviator is an unknown quantity at this point

Skype can not be downloaded in UAE, unless you have a VPN, 49$ per year.

Try VoipStunt, as an alternative, free PC to UK landlines.

As previously stated PC to PC is legal, but there is no way that they can block only the loading of 1/2 the software.

Many guys have the .exe on their chip, and will transfer this for the price of a pint.

Computer to computer is by far the best comms system.

Messemger and Yahoo, and I am sure all other have this.

But if hotel in not PC friendly, go to local internet cafe, establish a relationship with them, they like regulars, often open H24, and they are mostly very good, take your laptop, and play away.

Once registered on a voip service, they do not currently block ANY usage.

glf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.