British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Cheap phone calls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cheap-phone-calls-553623/)

Ed Pies Aug 6th 2008 5:17 pm

Cheap phone calls

Any tips on the best way to 'communicate' between Dubai and the UK.

I have already loaded Skype onto my laptop, but the mother in law (the main source of the phone calls) is a bit of a techno-phobe.

Thanks for your help.

soukie Aug 6th 2008 5:58 pm

Re: Cheap phone calls

We communicate between UK and UAE using a cheap rate phone link (8p per minute) - works fine from UK to UAE. We also have some techno-phobes so they phone us via the cheap rate phone line - works with mobiles too. PM me if you need the details

Dutchie Aug 6th 2008 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Pies (Post 6652186)

I have already loaded Skype onto my laptop, but the mother in law (the main source of the phone calls) is a bit of a techno-phobe.

Thanks for your help.

Buy a Skype phone, when she dials your number she won't know the difference. ;)

scarletfan Aug 6th 2008 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Pies (Post 6652186)

Thanks for your help.

You could load some credit on your Skype account, then just call your mother in law's land line. Works fine for us, although we just forget to use it!

Eeyore Aug 8th 2008 6:46 am

You could sign up for a SkypeIn account, which gives you a UK landline number your Mum can dial from any phone which will actually ring Skype on your computer. As far as she's concerned she's just making an ordinary phone call, but to you it'll be an incoming Skype call. It'll cost her the same as a local call.

Don't forget that it you want to use SkypeOut to call a landline, you need to be running a VPN.

Major Tom Aug 9th 2008 8:46 am

That's a great idea about SkypeIn, it gets over the issues with not being able to use SkypeOut anymore from the UAE to call friends and family on their regular landlines. Unfortunately it seems that you can only get a US, UK, Danish, Swedish, Finnish or HK number at present, but more countries are meant to be added soon. Buying a Skype compatible mobile phone is a great alternative too, I know a few people in long distance relationships who benefit from this service. MSN Messenger for calling isn't bad either, even my 90 year old grandfather manages to use that! Good luck.

Eeyore Aug 9th 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Major Tom (Post 6661381)
That's a great idea about SkypeIn, it gets over the issues with not being able to use SkypeOut anymore from the UAE to call friends and family on their regular landlines

Sign up to a VPN service and you can make SkypeOut calls to your heart's content :)

Jmover Aug 15th 2008 3:07 pm

have been reading your advice - how do i get a skypein account?? i thought skype was blocked here??? also, what is a vpn account?? - sorry, but i am a bit like the mother-in-law - a bit of a newy to this technical stuff!

thanks in advance for your reply!!!

jmover:thumbsup:

Eeyore Aug 15th 2008 3:29 pm

Do some searching of the forum and you'll get your answers.

BTW, you only need to use one question mark per question ;)