Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cheap one way ticket. LHR-> DXB

Cheap one way ticket. LHR-> DXB

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

geoffboon90 has a brilliant futuregeoffboon90 has a brilliant futuregeoffboon90 has a brilliant futuregeoffboon90 has a brilliant futuregeoffboon90 has a brilliant futuregeoffboon90 has a brilliant future
Default Cheap one way ticket. LHR-> DXB

Hi All,

I think I just got a good deal with a flight I have just booked, one way admittedly, but reasonable.

It was with Qatar Airways booked through Al Futtaim Travel in Festival City, Dubai. 1,270DHS inc Taxes for a one way fare leaving heathrow this monday at 2:15pm. I thought that was good enough to share it with you all.

You need to change at Doha and wait 45 mins for the connecting flight to Dubai.

Is that a good price - has somebody done any better recently?

G
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:57 pm
Banned

uk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap one way ticket. LHR-> DXB

I got this sent to me today

http://topdeals.travelsupermarket.co.../u14Q84/x0RIY5
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

hutchbeast is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheapest flight I found was £158 return via Bahrain with Gulf Air but they have a horrendous track record, had a crash a few years ago into the sea if I remember rightly

Qatar airways on the other hand, £187 return via Doha sounds better, been told this is a much better airline?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:17 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Not a horrendous track record - they did have a crash, the pilot was not considered by his colleagues to be very capable, lost patience with the run in and ended up crashing.

We used Gulf Air for a lot in the past, I would say they are better than Qatar (and Bahrain airport is far superior to Doha - you don't have to get the bus).
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:25 am
W10

You must be crazy.

Qatar is THE BEST middle eastern airline by quite some distance, and also generally the cheapest (so speaks someone who flies intercontinental at least 10 times a year). It's one of only five airlines in the world ranked as five star by Skytrax

I fly either Qatar or Virgin to the UK. Best for both price and quality.

Anyone who flies BA (unless they are in club world) needs to be kicked in the head.

Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:11 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Just from my experience, and I travel an awful lot, Qatar is crap. BA is worse.

I would take Virgin over all others, just waiting for their direct flights to US.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 5:31 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Today's Emirates Today has a story about some chap who flew from Sharjah to Luton in the UK via Istanbul using Air Arabia and Easyjet and it cost him DHS 367! He did have a 12-hour wait in Istanbul, but that's bloody cheap!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:21 pm
W10

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Just from my experience, and I travel an awful lot, Qatar is crap. BA is worse.

I would take Virgin over all others, just waiting for their direct flights to US.
Just out of interest, what did you find crap about Qatar? I could give you a list as long as my arm about BA economy and premium economy, but Qatar I can't begin to fault.

Virgin is great apart from the crappy slots in Dubai, the terrible food in economy and the 'no way are they 31"' seat pitch.

Emirates is as good as Virgin (better food though), but more expensive.

Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:38 pm
Big Member

Food was not fit for human consumption, seats were very uncomfortable and I was delayed in getting into Doha fpr a connection, staff were not bothered.

And I hate the fact that I arrived in Doha, spent what seemed like a lifetime getting bus into terminal, then queing in terminal just to get onto another bus for another tour of the airport before arriving at the connecting flight.

I refude to fly BA now, too many bad experiences, but Virgin I rate highly.

Perhaps controversially, I also rate Emirates highly - doing the NY flight is not bad with the ICE entertainment system.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:29 am
W10

No Emirates is good, it would be great if the food was better and the staff were friendlier.

I always thought Qatar's food is one of their high points, miles better than any other economu service I've been on.

Virgin's Premium economy sis good, Upper Class is excellent but more for the lounge facilities in London. The seats I find crammed in a bit and the food isn't up to scratch.

Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:00 am
Banned

uk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend Virgin, I flew with them on Xmas day premium economy, it was excellent and then got upgraded on the way back the only fault I could find was the bassinet in Premuim Economy it was more of a car seat that my litle one could not sleep in.