Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Changing Companies

Changing Companies

Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing Companies

My Jersey registered employers are setting up a local UAE operation, which will necessitate new contracts of employment and new visas. I have been told that my family and I may have to leave the country and return in order for new company visas to be processed. Our current visas don't expire until August 2014 whereas the change of company registration will take place in early-April. Does the need to leave the country sound correct? It may be fine for my UK daughter and me, but my Kenyan wife may not be allowed to do the Hatta run or whatever it is. Does anyone here have any experience of such things?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Companies

you cannot transfer visas anymore you have to cancel and apply, so then all dependant visas are cancelled, you used to be able to pay 5k each deposit at immigration to not touch the dependants visas but think thats been done away with, so i suspect yes you will have to do a visa run, but you can usually extend a visit visa at immigation once only.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:20 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the majority of those of the fairer sex who do the Hatta run I'd have thought the legit wife of a legit western expat would be ok.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Considering the majority of those of the fairer sex who do the Hatta run I'd have thought the legit wife of a legit western expat would be ok.
Thanks for the supportive vote of confidence. The alternative may mean our 10yo daughter having to miss schooling for a few days or weeks.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:32 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can pay 500Dh to immigration and avoid having to leave.

We did visa runs, the maid stayed at home.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
You can pay 500Dh to immigration and avoid having to leave. We did visa runs, the maid stayed at home.
Do they still accept the Dhs500 payment method? I thought that was stopped a year or two ago.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
You can pay 500Dh to immigration and avoid having to leave.

We did visa runs, the maid stayed at home.
yeh thats still the case, but once only. didnt i say that
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Do they still accept the Dhs500 payment method? I thought that was stopped a year or two ago.
maids may be different kettle of fish tho, they usually get sent to kish island.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:57 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Not being funny but this is the companies problem to sort for you, surely?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
They will pay for everything but I simply want to avoid the hassle of my family having to leave the country even if only for a few days. It's bad enough having to go through the residency visa application process yet again.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
sometimes companies will not do dependants visas, depends on the contract etc.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Hi Mentalist,
The "visa run"/"extending visa" (Which yes you can still do) is usually only offered to those passport holders who fall in to the 33 countries who don't have to apply for entry visas and who get visa-on-arrival.

I don't think Kenya falls into this category. I think your wife will have to leave, and I also think she may have to stay out for 30 days before reapplying to enter. You should definitely give DNRD a call for this one.

You and your child would not have to leave and re-enter, you can pay extra instead. Again, have this confirmed.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:56 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
you cannot transfer visas anymore you have to cancel and apply, so then all dependant visas are cancelled, you used to be able to pay 5k each deposit at immigration to not touch the dependants visas but think thats been done away with, so i suspect yes you will have to do a visa run, but you can usually extend a visit visa at immigation once only.
Putting your dependants on hold was never dependant on a visa transfer (which regardless was only ever possible between two similarly classed companies, ie onshore to onshore). I've done it twice in the past and both times my visa was cancelled and a new one applied for.

I have also heard the rumour that they don't allow you to put your dependants on hold for a 5k deposit anymore (for all of them by the way - not per person), but one of my mates just did it a few weeks ago. I'm planning to do this in just a couple of weeks as well...
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by norsk View Post
Putting your dependants on hold was never dependant on a visa transfer (which regardless was only ever possible between two similarly classed companies, ie onshore to onshore). I've done it twice in the past and both times my visa was cancelled and a new one applied for.
What does "putting your dependants on hold" actually mean? Are you saying that their residence visas can remain valid despite mine being changed? I very much doubt it. As for Ditzy saying that my Kenyan wife will have to leave the UAE for 30 days, that is not an option as I cannot look after our daughter and work full time for 30 days and possibly more. We will simply quit and leave the UAE together instead, which we were planning to do in September anyway..
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:01 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
What does "putting your dependants on hold" actually mean? Are you saying that their residence visas can remain valid despite mine being changed? I very much doubt it. As for Ditzy saying that my Kenyan wife will have to leave the UAE for 30 days, that is not an option as I cannot look after our daughter and work full time for 30 days and possibly more. We will simply quit and leave the UAE together instead, which we were planning to do in September anyway..
It means exactly what I said. Your dependants are put on hold, or banned if you will, whilst you are changing your visa. Considering I've done it twice there isn't much to doubt, but feel free to believe whatever you want.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.