British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Change in law? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/change-law-621106/)

NorthernLad Jul 20th 2009 5:27 am

Change in law?

Has anyone heard of the law that is being enforced (it has always been around as far as I know, certainly in Deira) where bars have to stop serving alcohol on Friday between 4pm and 6pm?

I heard Crowne Plaza on SZR have started doing this.

Blue Cat Jul 20th 2009 5:31 am

Re: Change in law?

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7767009)
Has anyone heard of the law that is being enforced (it has always been around as far as I know, certainly in Deira) where bars have to stop serving alcohol on Friday between 4pm and 6pm?

I heard Crowne Plaza on SZR have started doing this.

years and years ago that was the case but I thought it had been more or less phased out.

NorthernLad Jul 20th 2009 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7767012)
years and years ago that was the case but I thought it had been more or less phased out.

JW Marriott stopped drinks between 4 and 6 a few years ago, but I was told this is now being enforced everywhere since last week.

Madam Medusa Jul 20th 2009 5:39 am

certainly doesn't apply in the madinat...been from brunch to koubba many times, and al qasr now gives people vip badges to go straight from brunch to drinks at jambase at 4pm...

MM, xx

Autonomy Jul 20th 2009 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7767012)

likewise - some places seem to do this but many don't. not sure why the disparity exists...

Blue Cat Jul 20th 2009 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7767042)
likewise - some places seem to do this but many don't. not sure why the disparity exists...

maybe it is more of a tradition than a Law :confused:

Bonny Boy Jul 20th 2009 6:11 am

Some places do, some don't. It has been introduced in the last few months at several of the 'livelier' Bur Dubai drinking holes (so I am told :o).

Presumably a response to the incidents of the last year related to all day drinking.

jrudofsky Jul 20th 2009 6:47 am

Tried to go to Aussie Legends on Friday afternoon and they said this was the case. But the guy there said "beach side" hotels did not need to comply. Mind you, we walked down to Boston Bar and they were in full swing....dodgy beer though.

Jim Smith Jul 20th 2009 2:15 pm

RE: Change in law?

I noticed a sign in a Chinese restaurant in Phonecia Hotel in Nasser Square over the weekend. Wondered why.

Do lovely braised duck heads there!!!