Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Caution: Abu Dhabi - Dubai limit now 140 the whole way

Caution: Abu Dhabi - Dubai limit now 140 the whole way

Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:49 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caution: Abu Dhabi - Dubai limit now 140 the whole way

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...04-04-1.376846

Looks like it will be 140 the whole way now.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:38 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caution: Abu Dhabi - Dubai limit now 140 the whole way

Originally Posted by ctfc
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...04-04-1.376846

Looks like it will be 140 the whole way now.
I thought it was always that anyway?

N.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I was just discussing this recently with an Emirati police officer (dive friend). I kept insisting the national speed limit was 120 and he assured me the "buffer" was 20km i.e. he regards the national speed limit as 140. Later he overtook me at around 140km in another Emirate, so of course I speed up and followed.... but I still stay at 120km max outside of AD - unless following policemen friends ...

Those doing the AD-Dubai commute will most effectively avoid going over 140 by having a car with cruise control. I use it all the time - and it has kept my fines down, as posted earlier.....
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:32 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I thought it was always that anyway?

N.
It was 160 pretty much the whole way from the Dubai border until January, since then the stretch from Shahama onwards (coming from Dubai) was reduced to 140.

The bit they're now changing is between the Dubai border and Shahama reducing to 140 also (ie. 120 + the 20 buffer). Dubai is the same - 120 + 20 buffer.

It doesn't sound much but since I do it every day it's going to mean an extra 40 minutes a week sitting in the car, which is very dull already.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been flashed by one of the old-style cameras (about 2 years ago) between Shahama and AD, doing above 160. So I know the old ones flash (or did).

Last week I drove the same stretch at 160, and didn't get flashed. I stay under 140 where the new cameras are.

Are we saying that the old cameras trigger at 140 but now don't flash?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

It was 160 pretty much the whole way from the Dubai border until January, since then the stretch from Shahama onwards (coming from Dubai) was reduced to 140.

The bit they're now changing is between the Dubai border and Shahama reducing to 140 also (ie. 120 + the 20 buffer). Dubai is the same - 120 + 20 buffer.

It doesn't sound much but since I do it every day it's going to mean an extra 40 minutes a week sitting in the car, which is very dull already.
I'm pretty sure that dubai is 100 + 20 buffer?

I have seen cars in just the last few days get flashed at about 120.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

The stretch of road in Dubai beyond the Abu Dhabi border is signposted as 120kph, but the cameras go off soon after (maybe 135-140kph). I can't vouch for this recently though as the last couple of times i've gone through everyone has bizarrely been behaving themselves.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It's madness...the limit should be the limit with 10% margin of error for cameras and that's the end of it. If they say 140 then change the signs that say 120 and stop confusing people.

N.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 6:06 am
Just Joined

clodytz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I've been flashed by one of the old-style cameras (about 2 years ago) between Shahama and AD, doing above 160. So I know the old ones flash (or did).

Last week I drove the same stretch at 160, and didn't get flashed. I stay under 140 where the new cameras are.

Are we saying that the old cameras trigger at 140 but now don't flash?
Yup, got 2 fines at Shahama, without being flashed...only in dark they'd flash.

Does anyone know when the new 140 limit will be in place? Cause the last 2 days I drove according to the 160 rule
Old Apr 5th 2011, 6:08 am
Just Joined

clodytz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I'm pretty sure that dubai is 100 + 20 buffer?

I have seen cars in just the last few days get flashed at about 120.
On Dubai police website, they mention very clearly that for 120 kph limit, the cameras are set at 141, and for 100 kph they're set at 121.

When entering Dubai, you can keep at 140 on cruise control to make sure, up to the exit to Palm Jumeirah. Soon afterwards, the speed limit drops to 100, so 120 is safe.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I assume there is a flexible limit to enable some drivers to increase their speeds up to 170kmph in dense fog..........?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

From today's National:

All speed cameras will be adjusted later this month according to the new buffer and those who go even one kilometre per hour above the enforced speed limit will be penalised, he said.

Last month, officials said new signs will be erected on all external roads, clearly identifying and alerting drivers to changes in the radar enforcement limit - 140 kph in some areas and 160 kph in others.

Figures shared by the Department of Transport (DoT) in January showed that reducing the enforcement speed from 160 kph to 140kph on motorways could reduce the crash risk by as much as 90 to 95 per cent.

That last quote is plain wrong. If Abdul's driving his 4x4 less than a car's length from the car in front, it'll make bugger-all difference if he's doing 140 or 160.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...dubai-motorway