Cash to the UK

Old Aug 31st 2013, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

superscot69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cash to the UK

Whats the maximum number of days you can come back to the UK before Mr Cameron wants a wee touch of your hard earned cash is it still 90 max or has it changed to 40 ???
Old Sep 1st 2013, 5:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cash to the UK

It entirely depends on your personal situation.

Info on Statutory Residenc Test here: http://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/in...esidency-test/
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
It entirely depends on your personal situation.

Info on Statutory Residenc Test here: http://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/in...esidency-test/
Thanks for that link Meow.

Been worrying about this for a while. Was told that for new expats you could not be in the UK for more than 16 days in your first full financial year but reading through you article I should be fine for up to 90 days.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:36 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Citizen
Thanks for that link Meow.

Been worrying about this for a while. Was told that for new expats you could not be in the UK for more than 16 days in your first full financial year but reading through you article I should be fine for up to 90 days.
Who told you that??? You need to be out of the UK for a full tax year, so out both at the start and the end, but you can spend up to 90 days in the UK, depending on your connecting factors.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
Who told you that??? You need to be out of the UK for a full tax year, so out both at the start and the end, but you can spend up to 90 days in the UK, depending on your connecting factors.
I moved out in the middle of last year so started my first full financial year in April 2013.

Someone I know who came back from the UK. I think he has just seen the first part of the new regulations and made his own rules up.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:45 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by The_Citizen
I moved out in the middle of last year so started my first full financial year in April 2013.

Someone I know who came back from the UK. I think he has just seen the first part of the new regulations and made his own rules up.
People often do. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...
Old Sep 1st 2013, 3:58 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superscot69
Whats the maximum number of days you can come back to the UK before Mr Cameron wants a wee touch of your hard earned cash is it still 90 max or has it changed to 40 ???
Take your pick here:

Statutory Residence Test Flowchart
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

ADteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait, I'm confused! If I moved out last week, does my first full tax year start april 2014 and I need to be away til april 2015 but can be in the UK for 90 days in that time?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:47 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ADteacher
Wait, I'm confused! If I moved out last week, does my first full tax year start april 2014 [Yes] and I need to be away til april 2015 [Yes] but can be in the UK for 90 days in that time [No]?
You are liable for full UK tax and NI contributions on all your overseas earnings until you break UK residency, which will be April 6th 2015 at the earliest. See HMRC6 Section 8.5 on the easiest way to do this (working full time abroad for at least a full tax year and limiting UK visits). HMRC may grant a Split-Year-Concession and backdate your UK Non-Residency to the day after you physically left the UK, but again some conditions attach, see HMRC6.

[J]
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:42 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by ADteacher
Wait, I'm confused! If I moved out last week, does my first full tax year start april 2014 and I need to be away til april 2015 but can be in the UK for 90 days in that time?
Effectively yes. Up to 90 days depending on connection factors. You should be out from the first day of a tax year (6th April) until the last one (5th April).

Some other info you may find of use here: http://financialuae.me/2012/05/03/gu...ated-may-2012/ and http://financialuae.me/2013/02/24/th...he-best-rates/

Last edited by Meow; Sep 3rd 2013 at 6:45 am.