Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cars in UAE- not that cheap

Cars in UAE- not that cheap

Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:00 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars in UAE- not that cheap

Originally Posted by W10

Guess what, in the UAE, the Dodge Challenger will cost....Dh200,000
Barstools...got the Dodge magazine a few weeks ago and had set my heart on getting one. 200,000 is bloody mad though.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by W10
You're pretty oblivious to the year on year inflation in excess of 15% per year for the past few years then? You're oblivious to the fact BMW hiked their new prices by 25% because they thought they could make a few bucks. You're oblivious to the fact that the new Dodge Challenger is 40 per cent more expensive in the UAE than the USA? Or that a decent digital camera, or LCD TV costs a minimum of 30% more than in Europe, or that an off the peg designer suit is almost double the price elsewhere? Or that the cost of a 'good' meal here dwarves the price of a meal in a michelin three star in Europe?

Just because you get paid more, doesn't mean you have to mindlessly shell out...
Lets stick to the cars ey....this thread aint about the cost of a meal.

I'm talking recent times because people buying a car in this time scale (i.e me) aren't really going to care what happened over the past few years. I'm talking about the quick drop from 7.3 Dhs to the £ when I arrived to 5.4 as it is now.

So, a few examples for you;

Golf R32 (top spec) 145,000 Dhs - in 'old' money thats just £19,863. Or today £26,850. Thats STILL cheaper than the base model in the UK.

Range Rover Sport V8 HSE 305,000 Dhs = £42k in old money = £56k now, thats nearly Supercharged money in the UK.

Porsche 911 Turbo - 470,000 Dhs = £64K = £87k now.

Porsche Boxster - 170,000 Dhs = £23k = £31k now.

I could go on and on naming prices all day long but the simple fact is that the cars have not got more expensive just because the exchange rate has dropped. Yes ok if you've just stepped off the boat and you're equating everything back they're appear more expensive and people will still convert back now....but at the same time your salary has also gone up just as much if you convert that back to £ (obviously dependant on it being earnt and paid in Dhs).
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
why wouldn't you purchase a car if you're paid in sterling, i don't follow, you still live here and have residency here...??

MM, xx
People I know that get paid in £ are generally on a short term international contract rather than a local permanent contract....hence my train of thought. I wasn't aware some local companies paid in £ unless you were 'temporary' in which case i'm not sure that buying a car would be on the agenda.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
People I know that get paid in £ are generally on a short term international contract rather than a local permanent contract....hence my train of thought. I wasn't aware some local companies paid in £ unless you were 'temporary' in which case i'm not sure that buying a car would be on the agenda.
it's not a local company, we moved here with monsieur medusa's company in the uk, not on a short term contract ...hence paid in pounds and still pay tax (aaagghhh...)...we know quite a few people in a similar position...

MM, xx
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:09 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
it's not a local company, we moved here with monsieur medusa's company in the uk, not on a short term contract ...hence paid in pounds and still pay tax (aaagghhh...)...we know quite a few people in a similar position...

MM, xx
why you still pay tax??

im on a simialar GBP long term assignment etc but pay no tax.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:45 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Cars are generally cheaper in the Middle East than other parts of the world. I'm sure everyone can find an example to prove that right or wrong but, in general, they are cheaper here.

As a result, it's unlikely we will see a major repricing of new cars, although some tactical advertising has started. This is purely a discount offered by the Importer or Dealer and will be used to address stock issues.

The fundamental problem is the ability of dealers and members of the public to obtain finance. Price has less relevance when a bank sets it's lending criteria based on absolute income and not the structure of the deal.

I'm going back to sleep now!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:54 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest way of getting hold of a car is surely to sneak down to T1 or T3 and do a quick smash and grab on some ex-expats dumped motor. No-one to report it stolen and chances are the ex-expat will probably be ignoring any correspondence from the bank who have the HP????
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to look at it is to convert the price into working days. How many days would I have to work to buy the same car (or whatever) here compared to the UK, or wherever home is, based on my take home salary back home. Generally I find I don't have to work as long here to buy the stuff I want (and I want a lot of stuff)
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:19 am
W10

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Lets stick to the cars ey....this thread aint about the cost of a meal.

I'm talking recent times because people buying a car in this time scale (i.e me) aren't really going to care what happened over the past few years. I'm talking about the quick drop from 7.3 Dhs to the £ when I arrived to 5.4 as it is now.

So, a few examples for you;

Golf R32 (top spec) 145,000 Dhs - in 'old' money thats just £19,863. Or today £26,850. Thats STILL cheaper than the base model in the UK.

Range Rover Sport V8 HSE 305,000 Dhs = £42k in old money = £56k now, thats nearly Supercharged money in the UK.

Porsche 911 Turbo - 470,000 Dhs = £64K = £87k now.

Porsche Boxster - 170,000 Dhs = £23k = £31k now.

I could go on and on naming prices all day long but the simple fact is that the cars have not got more expensive just because the exchange rate has dropped. Yes ok if you've just stepped off the boat and you're equating everything back they're appear more expensive and people will still convert back now....but at the same time your salary has also gone up just as much if you convert that back to £ (obviously dependant on it being earnt and paid in Dhs).
I'm not disputing the fact that many cars are cheaper. What I am saying is that cars are not cheap per say. It's a misconception bandied around, one of the great Dubai myths that generally doesn't apply any more. Like the fact that shopping is great (if you like buying 2007 stock and paying more than you would in Europe) or that electronics are cheap (or reality - 30% more).

Cars USED to be really cheap here. Now they are (if you take tax away - and in buying from Europe you can) a little bit cheaper.

Factor in the fact you are paying 17.5% extra for tax in the UK AND the fact that UAE agencies negotiate massive discounts for bulk buying...and you will see how much we're getting screwed.

I gave two prime examples: Quite a lot of new BMWs cost more here than in the UK. The Dodge Challenger will cost 40% more here than in the US, the Mustang starts at dh70,000 or so in the US (It's Dh105,000 here I believe).

Remember this fact: The UK is one of the most expensive places in the world to buy a car!!! My point of view is the fact it is a bit cheaper than a country that hammers you for tax on your new car, on top of being expensive anyway...is not really an argument that it is cheap.

Last edited by W10; Jan 22nd 2009 at 9:21 am.

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:30 am
Just Joined

nuppo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I agree that cars are generally expensive in this country. It's the tax-free incomes that gives us larger disposable incomes, and therefore more able to afford better cars.

However, there are certain cars that are relatively good bargains. The Pajero, for example, is a great bargain if you buy a bottom of the line one for around 90,000 AED. They cost quite a bit more than that elsewhere.
Yeah but it is still gonna be an ugly Pajero sorry couldn't resist...
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

well they are a damn site cheaper that here!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nuppo
Yeah but it is still gonna be an ugly Pajero sorry couldn't resist...
nothing wrong with pajero's boycee. few 4wd are stunners, most 'styled ones' are akin to pimp mobiles - eg hummers
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:47 am
Just Joined

nuppo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by admon
nothing wrong with pajero's boycee. few 4wd are stunners, most 'styled ones' are akin to pimp mobiles - eg hummers
I guess you are right, I am not a big 4wd fan...except in the desert of course.

Yeah sorry for going off topic. I find european cars in general are rather expensive over here. But then I admit that I don't like japanese cars.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
why you still pay tax??

im on a simialar GBP long term assignment etc but pay no tax.
Same here - haven't paid tax on overseas earnings since March 2005.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

australiamaybe is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 2 year old trail blazer LS 4wd for 55k only 25k on the clock a year ago. It has been a great car Chevys offer great value.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.