Cars in Qatar

Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:07 am
Just Joined

daithi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars in Qatar

Hi all

I am considering the 'best' way to set my wife and i up with cars when we get to Doha - an SUV of some sort for her and a large saloon for myself

As i understand it the options would be:

1. Buy new
2. Buy used
3. Lease
4. Long term rental

I would probably rule out 1 and 4 straight away and the lease costs for a new 5 series bmw is about 9,000 a month which seems very high to me even with insurance and servicing included.

So by process of elimination i am at option 2 (my father will be pleased!!) - is it true that 2nd hand cars are over-priced in Doha or do good deals exist?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars in Qatar

Its much better to buy a second hand car than rent one. You do have to wait for your residency permit though.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:15 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

True, You will have to rent until you get your RP. Get an International Driving Permit from the Post Office before you leave as you can drive on that until you get either a Temp Licence or if you have an organised Company a full Qatar Driving Licence (You need your residency for that)

Buying will save you money over rental, that's no different to home.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:19 pm
SR6
Just Joined

SR6 has a spectacular aura aboutSR6 has a spectacular aura aboutSR6 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by britexpat76
True, You will have to rent until you get your RP. Get an International Driving Permit from the Post Office before you leave as you can drive on that until you get either a Temp Licence or if you have an organised Company a full Qatar Driving Licence (You need your residency for that)

Buying will save you money over rental, that's no different to home.
I have recently arrived Doha and just got temp driv lic. Relatively painless. About 1 hour 20 mins all in.
I now need to hire a car long term..............
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:20 pm
SR6
Just Joined

SR6 has a spectacular aura aboutSR6 has a spectacular aura aboutSR6 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SR6
I have recently arrived Doha and just got temp driv lic. Relatively painless. About 1 hour 20 mins all in.
I now need to hire a car long term..............
But I have to make 3 posts before I can PM the man I need........
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:36 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daithi
2. Buy used
Golden rule in the ME: only buy used from people you know and trust. If you can't find what you're looking for, then try to check used stock of reputable dealers. Forget about yellow pages and random search.

I've been through this and ended up buying new. The logic of saving by buying second hand, perfectly valid in the Europe, is somewhat less pronounced in the ME where by buying new you get the pace of mind that it wasn't crashed or abused. Most people here treat their cars like shit so at the end I decided to pay 40kSAR extra for new over 1-1.5 year second hand model. Plus you won't be able to find the colour, spec, etc. if you're bothered with that as I am.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:38 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Bit arsehole'ish bob...........you knew what he wanted to do
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:51 pm
SR6
Just Joined

Mr Dublin, appreciate your comments. Mr expat, I will DM you tommorow as just in from spice market / wham / 7 at le cigale and not making perfect sense right now......
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:59 pm
SR6
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SR6
Mr Dublin, appreciate your comments. Mr expat, I will DM you tommorow as just in from spice market / wham / 7 at le cigale and not making perfect sense right now......
Hic
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Golden rule in the ME: only buy used from people you know and trust. If you can't find what you're looking for, then try to check used stock of reputable dealers. Forget about yellow pages and random search.

I've been through this and ended up buying new. The logic of saving by buying second hand, perfectly valid in the Europe, is somewhat less pronounced in the ME where by buying new you get the pace of mind that it wasn't crashed or abused. Most people here treat their cars like shit so at the end I decided to pay 40kSAR extra for new over 1-1.5 year second hand model. Plus you won't be able to find the colour, spec, etc. if you're bothered with that as I am.
Just been through the process and found new prices from main dealers cheaper than 1 to 2 year old second hand. Need to shop around and buy whatever is on offer. Nissan were offering QR 20000 off the ticket price of tge Nissan Altima.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

mull is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Just been through the process and found new prices from main dealers cheaper than 1 to 2 year old second hand. Need to shop around and buy whatever is on offer. Nissan were offering QR 20000 off the ticket price of tge Nissan Altima.
Hi
I have been looking on line to get some idea (as I have no idea at all about cars) what is the ticket price roughly of a new altima
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:07 am
SR6
Just Joined

Exactly!

Of course, I could have just stumbled accros the forum and waded in with my first post being...Is 20million QAR enough to live on for a single IT consultant aged 29 and can I get a 7 bed compond villa for 1500 QAR per month....how much is a pack of cheese etc......(which are posts we see every day and are far more "spammy" than the one "Bob" deleted of mine)..........but, no. I have used the forum to become a little more informed about things and along that journey I discovered one of the chaps on here is in the car trade. To be honest ive discovered enough to know his name and phone number which is readily available on the internet but I was just being appreciative of the fact he has a weekend off.
I will now introduce myself to him via DM and hope he responds favourably and we do business together.

Now then, does anyone know if Ariel washing powder is more or less expensive than the UK. And is it the new improved one or just the standard bilogical one thats available..... FFS BOB, I hope the KSA sun burns your bollo*&s off.

Keep smiling!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:31 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SR6
Exactly!

Of course, I could have just stumbled accros the forum and waded in with my first post being...Is 20million QAR enough to live on for a single IT consultant aged 29 and can I get a 7 bed compond villa for 1500 QAR per month....how much is a pack of cheese etc......(which are posts we see every day and are far more "spammy" than the one "Bob" deleted of mine)..........but, no. I have used the forum to become a little more informed about things and along that journey I discovered one of the chaps on here is in the car trade. To be honest ive discovered enough to know his name and phone number which is readily available on the internet but I was just being appreciative of the fact he has a weekend off.
I will now introduce myself to him via DM and hope he responds favourably and we do business together.

Now then, does anyone know if Ariel washing powder is more or less expensive than the UK. And is it the new improved one or just the standard bilogical one thats available..... FFS BOB, I hope the KSA sun burns your bollo*&s off.

Keep smiling!

On the issue of washing powder, I find the comparison quite frustrating as the USD/GBP exchange is varying to the extent that daily comparisons are meaningless. So I have produced an analysis based on averaged exchange on quarterly basis and weighted average pricing which I take weekly from my favourite gorcery store. I have factored in the frequency of appearance of Ben Bernanke along with my proprietary USD sentiment index to arrive at a forward projection so I know what is the best time to buy. My proprietary analysis shows that the biologically active component is 83% of that in the UK while the foam is equal on average. I had a top-loading machine imported to the UK to match the one I have here so as to eliminate the possible bias.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:40 am
SR6
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner

On the issue of washing powder, I find the comparison quite frustrating as the USD/GBP exchange is varying to the extent that daily comparisons are meaningless. So I have produced an analysis based on averaged exchange on quarterly basis and weighted average pricing which I take weekly from my favourite gorcery store. I have factored in the frequency of appearance of Ben Bernanke along with my proprietary USD sentiment index to arrive at a forward projection so I know what is the best time to buy. My proprietary analysis shows that the biologically active component is 83% of that in the UK while the foam is equal on average. I had a top-loading machine imported to the UK to match the one I have here so as to eliminate the possible bias.
Top answer mate ! but does it get the skids out of my boxers or not?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mull
Hi
I have been looking on line to get some idea (as I have no idea at all about cars) what is the ticket price roughly of a new altima
Qr 93000 you can get one for 69000 to 75000. You need trawl the shorooms to get the real prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.