Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Carrying Yeast into Riyadh by Air

Carrying Yeast into Riyadh by Air

Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

MukeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Carrying Yeast into Riyadh by Air

Hi, after much deliberation I am finally about to fly out to start work in Riyadh. Before I tap your brains with a predictable newbie question though, I must say thanks to you all. These forums have been a vital source of info for me as I have been preparing to make the move. THANKS!!

So now the question.

Will I receive any special treatment (i.e. full cavity search or customs interest) if I put brewers yeast sachets into my luggage? I've scoured the Internet and can't seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks in advance.

MM

Last edited by MukeMan; Oct 15th 2012 at 4:21 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:30 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carrying Yeast into Riyadh by Air

Originally Posted by MukeMan
Hi, after much deliberation I am finally about to fly out to start work in Riyadh. Before I tap your brains with a predictable newbie question though, I must say thanks to you all. These forums have been a vital source of info for me as I have been preparing to make the move. THANKS!!

So now the question.

Will I receive any special treatment (i.e. full cavity search or customs interest) if I put brewers yeast sachets into my luggage? I've scoured the Internet and can't seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks in advance.

MM
Vital source of information and your first question is about brewers yeast, try it and see and let us know what happens
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rowell
Vital source of information and your first question is about brewers yeast, try it and see and let us know what happens
Always put a liquid form in a dark green shampoo bottle whilst in Libya 78-81 and Qatar 81-84. You only needed something like a teaspoon full per 70 litre dustbin. (Only one shipment per loc'n!) Never brewed in present location 85-today!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Depends on how desperate you are to keep your job. I have taken in wine kits and never been stopped, but it is a risk.

Most use local bakers yeast, which does the job.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Yeast itself is not illegal - we simply remove any packaging that might identify it as being for that purpose, to save any hassles. That is how we bring brewers yeast, beer starter kits in.

If you happen to be searched (we/friends have not ever been stopped) then they will pay it no mind if there is nothing there to indicate what it is.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

why don't you just smuggle it in under your foreskin and claim a serious thrush problem if stopped?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem to bring it in, done it loads of times, it is not alcohol so nothing illegal. Although you might have an interesting discussion if found as the iq of these people is not the highest. Best to accept the loss and move on that is why it is good to spread it between bags.

Don't go down the route of using brewers yeast it turns out a sub-standard end product. Good red, white and champagne yeasts are a must. The Lalvin is a very good product and remember you only need half a teaspoon for the standard 18ltr bottles. No more is required as it is just a waste.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Always put a liquid form in a dark green shampoo bottle whilst in Libya 78-81 and Qatar 81-84. You only needed something like a teaspoon full per 70 litre dustbin. (Only one shipment per loc'n!) Never brewed in present location 85-today!
OOOps I was talking about hops!!!!!! Just used bakers yeast as stated below!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

MukeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Carrying Yeast into Riyadh by Air

Thanks all for your replies. A lot clearer now.

Millhouse - Did a test run, now stuck with a serious amount of extra skin down there. Built-in Space Hopper!! Guess I should have removed it from the box first eh??
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

The best brews on our compound were all made with bakers yeast (much better than I ever managed with wine yeast).
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
The best brews on our compound were all made with bakers yeast (much better than I ever managed with wine yeast).
You have been in Saudi too long
Old Oct 19th 2012, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

GinSkipper is an unknown quantity at this point

I have brought bulk packets of Turbo Yeast in without any issue. Much better quality than bakers yeast and reduces the chances of going blind
Old Oct 20th 2012, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough