Reload this Page >

Car sale fraud, info needed please

Car sale fraud, info needed please

Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:36 am
Just Joined

sign1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car sale fraud, info needed please

Hi guys,
I am a British medical consultant, moved to Sharjah UAE from the UK 1 and a half years ago. I purchased a used Lexus car from a private Syrian owner in Dubai for DHS 100,000 after looking the ad. Also a Pakistani motor mechanic from Sharjah was involved in the deal, he charged a hefty amount for looking at the car and giving all clear before the purchase was completed.
Since buying the car I continuously had problems and on 2 occasions luckily escaped serious and fatal accidents; once in Sharjah the car brakes failed all of a sudden, I was driving at very low speed so pulled the car to the roadside parking. The 2nd time whilst driving on the Dubai Al-Ain highway at a speed of 120 kms/hr the engine stalled all of a sudden and stopped. For the 1 year I kept the car half of the time it has been in various workshops and I have spent DHS 35,000 on the repairs. I have spoken to the car mechanic but he was very rude and failed to accept any responsibilities.
I need some help and advice where to go to lodge a complaint and recover the unnecessary expenses incurred.
Many thanks.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 25th 2015 at 6:25 am. Reason: Link removed
Old Feb 25th 2015, 6:57 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car sale fraud, info needed please

There is an English saying that applies here 'buyer beware'. Chalk this one down to experience. Next time either get a reputable mechanic in, or better yet, buy from an established showroom that will offer you a warranty.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sign1
Hi guys,
I am a British medical consultant, moved to Sharjah UAE from the UK 1 and a half years ago. I purchased a used Lexus car from a private Syrian owner in Dubai for DHS 100,000 after looking the ad. Also a Pakistani motor mechanic from Sharjah was involved in the deal, he charged a hefty amount for looking at the car and giving all clear before the purchase was completed.
Since buying the car I continuously had problems and on 2 occasions luckily escaped serious and fatal accidents; once in Sharjah the car brakes failed all of a sudden, I was driving at very low speed so pulled the car to the roadside parking. The 2nd time whilst driving on the Dubai Al-Ain highway at a speed of 120 kms/hr the engine stalled all of a sudden and stopped. For the 1 year I kept the car half of the time it has been in various workshops and I have spent DHS 35,000 on the repairs. I have spoken to the car mechanic but he was very rude and failed to accept any responsibilities.
I need some help and advice where to go to lodge a complaint and recover the unnecessary expenses incurred.
Many thanks.
There are two main rules to car transactions in the UAE
1) don't buy secondhand cars in Sharjah
2) if you need to sell a shitty car, sell it in Sharjah.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Completely agree. One thing I forgot to add the car I bought was already declared as a total loss which we call in England as written off or not suitable for use any more. Any ideas what to do next regarding the case?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:03 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me Miss, I wish to register a complaint...

Why did you mention the nationalities of the vendor and mechanic?
The Sale of Goods Act and implied merchantability provisions don't apply in the UAE.
Did you get a warranty from the vendor? No, I guess. So caveat emptor.
Did you sign a contract with the mechanic for his services, or get a written report? No, I guess.

After 1 1/2 years in Sharjah do you really think there's an avenue for your complaint? You'd be stuffed in first world, let alone Sharjah.

And what fraud do you think has been committed?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree. One thing I forgot to add the car I bought was already declared as a total loss which we call in England as written off or not suitable for use any more. Any ideas what to do next regarding the case?
Only just seen this: so it was a write-off. What to do next? Are you serious? I also have a sneaking suspicion you're still driving it. I really hope that "medical consultant" doesn't mean what you want us to think it means...
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Only just seen this: so it was a write-off. What to do next? Are you serious? I also have a sneaking suspicion you're still driving it. I really hope that "medical consultant" doesn't mean what you want us to think it means...
he fixes up people that have been badly hurt in car crashes involving cut-n-shunts?

Funny, when I was buying a car recently, there were LOTS of US imports all in Sharjah for about 50% less than what the proper GCC spec, traceable history car, Nissan was trying to sell me. if you are "lucky" the total loss is due to flood damage...

do you have a speedo that's in mph?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Put it on dubizzle and sell it on to the next mug.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

HVO_1111 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Sharjah when I was looking at buying cars. It took me two minutes to realise that you shouldn't buy a car in Sharjah. I was offered American imports and when I asked how many kms a car had done, the seller replied 'how many kms do you want'? If you ask for an FSH, they will look at you with a blank expression.

I know plenty of locals who have all told me horror stories of having seen two diffeerent cars being welded together in a back street. Syrian, Egyptian, Pakistani...doesn't matter what their nationalities are, almost everyone is dodgy in Sharjah. You'd have been better off going to an auction- same thing, just cheaper.You have no recourse, just an expensive lesson.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:35 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

this has to be a troll! nobody is that stupid..
Old Feb 27th 2015, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Dear All,
Thank you all for your comments (except Bahtatboy!)
I have all the all the original receipts, copies of the seller's ID card and signatures etc. on the sales deed. After digging deep into the matter have been directed to the Sharjah consumers protection authority. Also had discussion with a local solicitor who has assured would get back all the damages etc through the court.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:12 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Also had discussion with a local solicitor who has assured would get back all the damages etc through the court.
Really? The very best of luck with that! Call me a cynic but I would bet on it that the lawyer is the only one who will make any money out of this.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:51 am
Hit 16's

Dear All,
Thank you all for your comments (except Bahtatboy!)
I have all the all the original receipts, copies of the seller's ID card and signatures etc. on the sales deed. After digging deep into the matter have been directed to the Sharjah consumers protection authority. Also had discussion with a local solicitor who has assured would get back all the damages etc through the court.
Great news! On what legal basis did the solicitor say that you had a valid claim?

There is one golden rule when suing someone: If you win, can you recover the award from them? In this instance it would mean a) locating the individual (is he still in UAE), and b) knowing that he has the funds to pay you (which probably isn't so much a problem there--unless he has wasta).
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:02 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Great news! On what legal basis did the solicitor say that you had a valid claim?

There is one golden rule when suing someone: If you win, can you recover the award from them? In this instance it would mean a) locating the individual (is he still in UAE), and b) knowing that he has the funds to pay you (which probably isn't so much a problem there--unless he has wasta).
Not only that, but as far as I am aware private sales of cars are based on a 'sold as seen' principle so unless you as the buyer were deliberately deceived and you can prove this fact the seller cannot be held responsible.

Buyers regret is a bitch, but this guy even drove the car for 1.5 years and put lots of money into repairs before thinking that maybe he was ripped off.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:44 am
Just Joined

The car owner is still in the UAE. I have a valid certificate from Dubai Islamic Insurance who were the last insurers of the previous car owner. The certificate clearly states the car was written off andwas not suitable for any further human use. After that the owner cheated and sold the car. This is clear fraud and would be the basis of the claim. Once the case goes to the Dubai courts the culprits would not be allowed to leave the country untill the case would be finalised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.