British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Car Rental in AD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/car-rental-ad-687128/)

Britmal Sep 27th 2010 1:27 pm

Car Rental in AD

Hi guys,

Many thanks to all those who gave me info regarding UAE visas and hotel costs in AD.

I have one more question: How much will it cost me (per month) to rent a basic car in AD?

I'm talking about a 1.3 Toyota Corolla or similar.

One more thing, am I correct in understanding that I can rent a car in AD on a British driving licence, on a 30 day UAE visit visa?

Any feedback is much apprecciated.

Cheers!

Tillybean Sep 27th 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Car Rental in AD

Probably around 2,000 AED a month, fully insured for something small.

I am currently borrowing a Jeep Cherokee, and thats 130 AED a day.

csdf Sep 27th 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tillybean (Post 8879029)
Probably around 2,000 AED a month, fully insured for something small.

I am currently borrowing a Jeep Cherokee, and thats 130 AED a day.

Be aware that the car rental firms have started cracking down on people commuting Dubai-Abu Dhabi by insisting on 4000-5000km / month max usage.
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....29744/1010/rss

Oyibopeppeh Sep 27th 2010 2:23 pm

I'm paying 2,100 a month for a newish 1.8 Civic auto through Thrifty. No mileage limit.

Spikus Sep 28th 2010 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8879131)
I'm paying 2,100 a month for a newish 1.8 Civic auto through Thrifty. No mileage limit.

Renting a Tiilda through Thrifty for my wife.... 89 DHS per day unlimited. She is driving on a UK license.

Brains1983 Sep 28th 2010 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Spikus (Post 8881090)
Renting a Tiilda through Thrifty for my wife.... 89 DHS per day unlimited. She is driving on a UK license.

you'll get a yaris or lancer for 1500-1750.

suggest trying Paramount or Texas Rent a Car, i have two on hire for the staff, both are reasonable (Paramount slightly chearper IMO)

Britmal Sep 28th 2010 1:15 pm

Many thanks for the info guys.

A Lancer will be OK for me, I would expect to be driving less than 200km a day whilst in AD.

Now I need to know if I can drive a car hired in AD into Oman via Hatta?

If so, what regulations must I meet and what costs (if any) will I need to pay on leaving and
re-entering the UAE?

All info very much apprecciated.

Thanks.

Oyibopeppeh Sep 28th 2010 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Britmal (Post 8881615)

But I do need to know if I can drive a car hired in AD into Oman via Hatta, and if so, what regulations must I meet, and what costs (if any) will I need to pay on leaving and re-entering the UAE?.

You'll need to buy additional car insurance to get into Oman. Can't remember exactly how much but it's not a lot.

Britmal Sep 28th 2010 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8881630)
You'll need to buy additional car insurance to get into Oman. Can't remember exactly how much but it's not a lot.

Thanks for that Oyi.

Can anyone tell me what is the normal (and accepted) procedure for driving this route?

Thanks!

Tillybean Sep 29th 2010 10:06 am

You may also need a letter from the rental company confirming that you have permission to take the car to Oman - I know I had to arrange this for my boss when he took his rental over the border.

You can get extra insurance in Oman (at the border crossing) but again check with the rental company as this may already be included (was for my boss).

For costs - you will pay for an Omani visa. I think thats it - its a while since I went.

meseta Sep 29th 2010 10:11 am

Fox rent a car in Abu Dhabi.
I'm paying 2300 aed/month unlimited for a Chevrolet Epica. Best deal I've found.
02 441 8199

Millhouse Sep 29th 2010 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Tillybean (Post 8883847)
You may also need a letter from the rental company confirming that you have permission to take the car to Oman - I know I had to arrange this for my boss when he took his rental over the border.

You can get extra insurance in Oman (at the border crossing) but again check with the rental company as this may already be included (was for my boss).

For costs - you will pay for an Omani visa. I think thats it - its a while since I went.

yup. 35Dh for a UAE resident, or 70Dh if you are not. Get a spot of lunch and mini golf in at the Hatta fort hotel.

csdf Sep 29th 2010 10:14 am

How come you've turned into the Hatta Fort Hotel ambassador all of a sudden?

Millhouse Sep 29th 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8883868)
How come you've turned into the Hatta Fort Hotel ambassador all of a sudden?

I think that is Spugsy's role. Just trying to jump in there before he did.

To give a bit of balance, the HFH also has some of the most expensive camel rides I've ever seen. 35Dh for Me & Mini Millhouse to go 100m.

Britmal Oct 3rd 2010 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8881457)
you'll get a yaris or lancer for 1500-1750.

suggest trying Paramount or Texas Rent a Car, i have two on hire for the staff, both are reasonable (Paramount slightly chearper IMO)

Thanks for that Brains.

Any chance you could give me a contact name/number at Paramount and/or Texas?

Cheers.