Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

car registration renewal

car registration renewal

Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default car registration renewal

Hello folks, hope all is well.
So my car reg expired 27/11 and in the past i have always renewed it on time. But this time I figured i would wait and take advantage of the 1 month grace period between the car reg expiring and the car insur expiring. So currently car reg has expired, insur expires 27/12. Am i right in thinking, IF i get stopped and they notice that my car reg has expired but that i still have a valid car insur, i should be ok? Of course i will renew both towards the expiry of the car insurance.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:38 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car registration renewal

You are certainly insured as that runs for 13 months, HOWEVER, if they stop you for something else and find your reg expired, my guess is they'll do you for that at the same time.

I registered my car this year 2 weeks after expiry and they backdated it to the correct date so nothing saved.

As your car is new, there is no need for a test and you can just do the renewal online (once you've renewed insurance) and then they send you the card. Could'nt be simpler
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

I never renew mine until the insurance is due
I have been stopped and when they asked i told them i would renew it before the expiry of the insurance
No fine was given
Old Nov 28th 2018, 9:52 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddiva
I never renew mine until the insurance is due
I have been stopped and when they asked i told them i would renew it before the expiry of the insurance
No fine was given
But then doesn't the insurance get out of sync with the registration? That would worry me as you have to have at least 6 months insurance to register Confused.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 8:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TheShed
do the renewal online (once you've renewed insurance) and then they send you the card. Could'nt be simpler
Amen to that, wonderfully easy.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

But then doesn't the insurance get out of sync with the registration? That would worry me as you have to have at least 6 months insurance to register Confused.
I just renew the car every 13months.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Thank Folks - i didn't realise the car reg is back dated?
Old Dec 4th 2018, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had 6 months of insurance in order to re- register the car
I get an email from RSA saying insurance is due. I buy it then it is automatically sent to register place, i then go and resigter car. I have been doing it this way for 12 years. I think you are getting muddled up with needing 6 months on a passport to travel.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 1:23 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

Originally Posted by reddiva
I have never had 6 months of insurance in order to re- register the car
I get an email from RSA saying insurance is due. I buy it then it is automatically sent to register place, i then go and resigter car. I have been doing it this way for 12 years. I think you are getting muddled up with needing 6 months on a passport to travel.
Never experienced the 6 month thing myself, just heard of it. Like you, I renew online when due and then register on line or go for the test for my older car
Old Dec 5th 2018, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Never experienced the 6 month thing myself, just heard of it. Like you, I renew online when due and then register on line or go for the test for my older car
Ah you wrote the below about the 6 months needed that part confused me

Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, I never realised it was so confusing. Actually, it's not! Your insurance is valid for 13 months. Registration is valid for 12 months, with another month before they worry, so just assume it is valid for 13 months. So - as long as your car will pass its inspection first time, just do the whole thing (including insurance renewal) a couple of days before the 13 month point. If you have any doubt that it will pass, get it inspected beforehand so you can fix any faults before the 13 month point. The inspection test is valid for 30 days, so don't test it before 12 months is up, otherwise you will have to either renew before the 13 months is up, or re-do the test. Doing it this way you only have to do this process every 13 months, not 12. Just don't drive it about after the 13 months, as you will then get fined (especially if you pass under one of the gates that checks plates).
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by archie159
Wow, I never realised it was so confusing. Actually, it's not! Your insurance is valid for 13 months. Registration is valid for 12 months, with another month before they worry, so just assume it is valid for 13 months. So - as long as your car will pass its inspection first time, just do the whole thing (including insurance renewal) a couple of days before the 13 month point. If you have any doubt that it will pass, get it inspected beforehand so you can fix any faults before the 13 month point. The inspection test is valid for 30 days, so don't test it before 12 months is up, otherwise you will have to either renew before the 13 months is up, or re-do the test. Doing it this way you only have to do this process every 13 months, not 12. Just don't drive it about after the 13 months, as you will then get fined (especially if you pass under one of the gates that checks plates).
Testing is literally lights, tyres and brakes
The last test i had took all of 8 mins haha
Sheikh Mo gave a 2 months grace period for reregistration
Old Dec 5th 2018, 11:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Why wait til the last minute?

Find a convenient weekend when it's due, pay the insurance and take the car for testing if needed.
If not, find a convenient time around when it's due and do it online.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why wait til the last minute?
So you only waste time and money doing it once every 13 months - unless you enjoy the fun of doing it every 12 months.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by archie159
So you only waste time and money doing it once every 13 months - unless you enjoy the fun of doing it every 12 months.
Given that I've only ever done it myself once and it took minutes early on a Saturday it's hardly a hassle.

Surely your insurers cover this and re-register it for you?

If the month's grace wasn't there would everyone crumble and die?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.