Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car Registration Renewal

Car Registration Renewal

Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Registration Renewal

Right.

I started a 3 month driving ban on in July for points accumulation.
I was given 12 x black-points twice, so aswell as the ban, the car was put in a pound for 2 x 30 day periods.
I'm already able to collect the car, however the car registration expired while in "custody".

I've been able to arrange the 13months insurance which expired in August, however I am unable to register the car since I don't get my driving license back until mid October. When I get my license back, there will not be 13 months insurance on the vehicle, which I presume will be a problem since it has to be 13 months (presuming the additional month is a grace period for registering the car).

Since the 60 day period is up, and providing I take someone with a valid driving license along, then we can remove the car from the pound and my wife can drive it around.

So, I figure my options are;

1.) leave the vehicle in the pound for 3 weeks so that the insurance start period and vehicle license return period are within a month of each.

2.) take my chances and get the mrs to drive it without insurance (of course we wouldn't be so stupid)

Anyway, enough of the scenario setting, my questions are;

1.) can you have insurance policies "topped up" ie, we take the car today, with the 13 month insurance, and then have 3 weeks added onto the policy and some new documents issued?

2.) Even though the finance is in my name, can we register it in my wifes name so it would be done before the 13 months are up?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Registration Renewal

1) Yes, I have done this in the past with HSBC Insurance (AXA) - I did my 13months, forgot to register the car for about 6 weeks, called up AXA paid a bit more, got new cert, paid the fine, registered the car.

2) I doubt it.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:02 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Registration Renewal

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Right.

I started a 3 month driving ban on in July for points accumulation.
I was given 12 x black-points twice, so aswell as the ban, the car was put in a pound for 2 x 30 day periods.
I'm already able to collect the car, however the car registration expired while in "custody".

I've been able to arrange the 13months insurance which expired in August, however I am unable to register the car since I don't get my driving license back until mid October. When I get my license back, there will not be 13 months insurance on the vehicle, which I presume will be a problem since it has to be 13 months (presuming the additional month is a grace period for registering the car).

Since the 60 day period is up, and providing I take someone with a valid driving license along, then we can remove the car from the pound and my wife can drive it around.

So, I figure my options are;

1.) leave the vehicle in the pound for 3 weeks so that the insurance start period and vehicle license return period are within a month of each.

2.) take my chances and get the mrs to drive it without insurance (of course we wouldn't be so stupid)

Anyway, enough of the scenario setting, my questions are;

1.) can you have insurance policies "topped up" ie, we take the car today, with the 13 month insurance, and then have 3 weeks added onto the policy and some new documents issued?

2.) Even though the finance is in my name, can we register it in my wifes name so it would be done before the 13 months are up?
1) You can

2) You cannot transfer a car with Finance showing.