British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Car re-registration was a breeze at Jebel Ali! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/car-re-registration-breeze-jebel-ali-510405/)

MacScot Jan 30th 2008 7:59 pm

Car re-registration was a breeze at Jebel Ali!

1 Attachment(s)
Vehicle registration must be renewed annually.

I used the ENOC / Tasjeel vehicle testing and registration service at Jebel Ali Free Zone (open: Sun -Thurs 7am-9pm and Thurs 7am-2pm). They say on the internet that the average processing time is 30 to 45 minutes - I had a turnaround of 18 minutes on a Sunday afternoon at 2 pm - the place was almost empty.

Head for Abu Dhabi and leave Sheikh Zayed Road (SZR) on Exit 18 from Interchange No. 8 and pass through Gate No. 5 (slow down and stop if you are asked to do so). Continue to the first roundabout and double-back. You will see the ENOC fuel stop (garage) and testing centre on the right. Once past the entrance head for the small check-in booth and handover your existing registration card (the small white card with red Arabic writing). Then drive into one of the vehicle inspection bays (you will be directed to bay No. 1, 2 or 3). I have attached a small map (hopefully).

Now go to the registration office and wait in reception (they have a ticket waiting system that was not in operation). The results of your vehicle test are handed to one of the staff behind the desks. Just wait for your name to be called an go up to the desk - sit up near the front to clearly hear your name when it is called out.

You will be handed your "test result certificate". If your vehicle fails its test you can have it repaired and re-tested within 31 days at no extra cost (according to internet). You will also have to pay any outstanding fines including Salik, so make sure you have a fair bit of cash on you - just in case (the guy next to me had to pay out over DHS 1,600 in fines!). Also take your new insurance policy with you as part of the re-registration process. Once all is processed make sure you ask for the small stick-on labels for your rego plate (e.g, Jan 2009) - they might forget (as in my case).

By the way (at least when I was there) you cannot get back on to SZR at Interchange 8 (the exits may still be blocked). Don't worry, there is a diversion back to Dubai, which takes you out to the desert for about 2 km then a turn right to bring you back to SZR. Just follow the signs.

There is another Tasjeel testing site Next to Dubai Police Traffic Department on SZR, though this might be busier.

Hope this may be of help for people in the area of New Dubai.

Border Reiver Jan 31st 2008 5:49 am

Re: Car re-registration was a breeze at Jebel Ali!

Can we get this posted on the Wiki, especially the map part?

MataHari Jan 31st 2008 6:22 am

there's a registration centre behind the Al Wasl football station as well...

Inselaffen Jan 31st 2008 6:30 am

are the difficult on how much long your insurance is valid for?
need to get my care re-registered but have ony 3 months remaining on my insurance.

dont want to have to go through the time of cancelling my old policy and getting a new one just for re-registering

Border Reiver Jan 31st 2008 6:41 am

Your insurance needs to be valid for the length of the registration (12 months), so you need to renew your insurance before you do the registration business.

Jeeper Dec 27th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 5862448)
Your insurance needs to be valid for the length of the registration (12 months), so you need to renew your insurance before you do the registration business.

Anyone know if the registration places are open on sat?

Blue Cat Dec 27th 2008 7:55 am

If the Jebel Ali one isn't I am guessing the one at MOE won't be either. I need to do mine so I will try the Jebel Ali one during the week.

MacScot Dec 27th 2008 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7101222)
Anyone know if the registration places are open on sat?

Yes, according to the Tasjeel website: :)

http://www.eppcouae.com/eppcouae/tasjeel/contactus.htm

Alen1 Dec 27th 2008 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 5862448)

Registration needs to be valid for 13 months. This because a month's grace is given in which to renew.

busybee2 Dec 27th 2008 12:22 pm

yes 13 months