Car parts

Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:17 am
  #1  
Not an evil hypnotist
Thread Starter
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car parts

My Ford Mondeo just keeled over and died. Alternator is shot.

Al Tayer wanted 3,400 just for the part The damn thing would cost less than 150 quid in the UK, I'm not paying over 600 for it.

Any ideas of trustworthy places who'll fit a new and real third party alternator (maybe a Bosch)?
typical is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:38 am
  #2  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

bmw road sjh has plenty of ford suppliers some even have genuine parts!


try al noor spare parts
manooj 065396706

failing that just drive around rashidya and ask around, al tayer wanted 8k to fix the wifes focus ac compressor got it done there for 350 aed about 6 months ago and no issues at all with the repair.
shiva is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:24 am
  #3  
Not an evil hypnotist
Thread Starter
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

Good grief, Al Noor wants 2750. Ridiculous!
typical is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:46 am
  #4  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

hhmm you'll need some legwork then, get a reconditioned one or one from a write off.

go see the dodgy afghans in sharjah.

take emirates rd, turn off at national paints, go straight through 3 roundabouts then take a left at the fourth, all along that street and in that area are hundreds of car part dealers and scrap suppliers you should get one there for a decent price. if your lucky you'll get a nearly new one from a horrific write off
shiva is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:38 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 239
GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by typical View Post
My Ford Mondeo just keeled over and died. Alternator is shot.

Al Tayer wanted 3,400 just for the part The damn thing would cost less than 150 quid in the UK, I'm not paying over 600 for it.

Any ideas of trustworthy places who'll fit a new and real third party alternator (maybe a Bosch)?
Sure it would cost less than 150 in the UK?!
GuyinUAE is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:34 pm
  #6  
Not an evil hypnotist
Thread Starter
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE View Post
Sure it would cost less than 150 in the UK?!
The UK dealer I know charges 250 inc, fitted, so...
typical is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:35 pm
  #7  
Not an evil hypnotist
Thread Starter
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
hhmm you'll need some legwork then, get a reconditioned one or one from a write off.

go see the dodgy afghans in sharjah.

take emirates rd, turn off at national paints, go straight through 3 roundabouts then take a left at the fourth, all along that street and in that area are hundreds of car part dealers and scrap suppliers you should get one there for a decent price. if your lucky you'll get a nearly new one from a horrific write off
Thanks! Will head down there. Of course, now I don't have a car to get me there!
typical is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:38 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 160
Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car parts

We try to buy all our car parts online... even after shipping costs you save a fortune over UAE dealer parts prices. We just give the parts to the garage here and they fit them.

Good example; I need a new high pressure hose for my power steering... Trading Enterprises charge 1030 AED for the part... I can buy it from America and get it shipped via Aramex for less than 200 AED...

If the car's broken down and you need it fixed straight away you can't really wait for the part to be shipped from overseas though, that's where the dealers have you over a barrel... unless you can get it overnighted, which could probably still work out cheaper than buying from the dealer here...
Bungdit Din is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:16 pm
  #9  
Not an evil hypnotist
Thread Starter
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by Bungdit Din View Post
We try to buy all our car parts online... even after shipping costs you save a fortune over UAE dealer parts prices. We just give the parts to the garage here and they fit them.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just arranged to get one sent for me for 145 quid + VAT + whatever Aramex stings me for.

Car stopped moving altogether and I couldn't face Sharjah by taxi
typical is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:07 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by typical View Post
The UK dealer I know charges 250 inc, fitted, so...
get someone to bring some over sell them cheap!
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:32 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
zoukla's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 180
zoukla will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
bmw road sjh has plenty of ford suppliers some even have genuine parts!


try al noor spare parts
manooj 065396706

failing that just drive around rashidya and ask around, al tayer wanted 8k to fix the wifes focus ac compressor got it done there for 350 aed about 6 months ago and no issues at all with the repair.
Anyone know about how much it would cost to fix/replace a speedometer on a gmc envoy?
zoukla is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:09 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 160
Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by zoukla View Post
Anyone know about how much it would cost to fix/replace a speedometer on a gmc envoy?
What year, what exact model of Envoy?

There's a speedo for a 2002 Base or XL Envoy on eBay here.

Google and eBay are your friends for parts for all American cars... there is a huge competitive aftermarket making pattern parts for nearly all models, which is why they are so much cheaper. All the car service centres in the UAE buy parts through the dealers, which is why they are so expensive, with the fat UAE dealer monopoly markup added on top... a lot of the time, the third-party parts are better-made and more reliable than the dealer parts.

I've bought stuff from online parts shops and eBay. Trading Enterprises wanted to charge me 4000 AED to replace the ABS computer in my really old Jeep... I bought a used one from a scrapped Jeep on eBay (reputable seller who specialises in breaking Jeeps for parts)... I was the only bidder in the auction so the computer cost me ONE DOLLAR, shipping was 39 AED and it took 15 minutes for me to fit it!
Bungdit Din is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:13 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
zoukla's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 180
zoukla will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by Bungdit Din View Post
What year, what exact model of Envoy?

There's a speedo for a 2002 Base or XL Envoy on eBay here.

Google and eBay are your friends for parts for all American cars... there is a huge competitive aftermarket making pattern parts for nearly all models, which is why they are so much cheaper. All the car service centres in the UAE buy parts through the dealers, which is why they are so expensive, with the fat UAE dealer monopoly markup added on top... a lot of the time, the third-party parts are better-made and more reliable than the dealer parts.

I've bought stuff from online parts shops and eBay. Trading Enterprises wanted to charge me 4000 AED to replace the ABS computer in my really old Jeep... I bought a used one from a scrapped Jeep on eBay (reputable seller who specialises in breaking Jeeps for parts)... I was the only bidder in the auction so the computer cost me ONE DOLLAR, shipping was 39 AED and it took 15 minutes for me to fit it!
2003 GMC Envoy slt... bracing myself for the quote from GMC
zoukla is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:22 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 160
Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car parts

Do you have the optional driver's info display? Looking at car-parts.com, which is a site for breakers yards all over the USA to sell their parts online, a 2003 Envoy speedo with info display will run you anything from $72-$225 for a Grade A part.

A GMC dealer will make you pay blood for a brand-new speedo... and are you sure that you need a whole new speedo anyway? might be a connector or your speed sensor or something like that... much cheaper to fix... buy the factory service manual for your model and it will list the tests you need to do to check whether you need to replace the whole speedo module or not.
Bungdit Din is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:37 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts

Originally Posted by Bungdit Din View Post
Do you have the optional driver's info display? Looking at car-parts.com, which is a site for breakers yards all over the USA to sell their parts online, a 2003 Envoy speedo with info display will run you anything from $72-$225 for a Grade A part.

A GMC dealer will make you pay blood for a brand-new speedo... and are you sure that you need a whole new speedo anyway? might be a connector or your speed sensor or something like that... much cheaper to fix... buy the factory service manual for your model and it will list the tests you need to do to check whether you need to replace the whole speedo module or not.
all dealers here do not fix they just have to replace
busybee2 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.