Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

car ownership and insurance without visa

car ownership and insurance without visa

Old Aug 7th 2019, 10:57 am
Just Joined

highway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car ownership and insurance without visa

Hi all - I couldn't find this elsewhere on the forum, although I'm sure it must have come up - I'm losing my job, on the company visa for a little bit longer, which will give me time to renew my car insurance and renew the registration - but once my visa changes, and if I'm stuck on a UK passport and visit visa, is my car insurance still valid? I note some policies say you have to be resident with a valid Emirates ID, when applying for the insurance, not sure what happens if your status changes after you've got it? any advice greatly etc etc
Old Aug 7th 2019, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: car ownership and insurance without visa

to add - I'm asking for the UAE.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highway
to add - I'm asking for the UAE.
you may struggle to get an answer as It’s an area where the rules are grey. Certainly a car can only be driven by a non resident if the insurance says so, but the insurance usually says holder of valid licence/ residence.

Im not even sure if your license is valid. If you want five different answers you could always try calling the RTA five times.

sorry about the job loss. Don’t burn all your savings looking for a new one here.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Seems the license is valid even after the visa is cancelled. Read the policy working but I think you’re ok. I’d renew the car before it’s all cancelled.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

thanks, I just wondered if any forum members might have been in a similar situation. I suspect the insurer wouldn't notice even if you made a claim, but if they did spot it, it might invalidate the insurance completely. I had a minor fender bender recently (got the green) and I think all I had to show was my Emirates ID
Old Aug 7th 2019, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by highway
thanks, I just wondered if any forum members might have been in a similar situation. I suspect the insurer wouldn't notice even if you made a claim, but if they did spot it, it might invalidate the insurance completely. I had a minor fender bender recently (got the green) and I think all I had to show was my Emirates ID
I’m sure we have all been in the situation where we have driven the car between visas...