Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car leasing - what would you get & where would you go?

Car leasing - what would you get & where would you go?

Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car leasing - what would you get & where would you go?

Good afternoon all...

The countdown is well underway, and I'm nearly at 4 weeks so trying to get all of the loose ends buttoned up.

One item on the "to do" list is sorting out a car.

My allowance is 3000QAR p/m.

The question?.. Well two actually.

1: what can I get for my money
2: where do I go? Google is useless in this regard!

Thanks in advance

James
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:15 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car leasing - what would you get & where would you go?

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin
Good afternoon all...

The countdown is well underway, and I'm nearly at 4 weeks so trying to get all of the loose ends buttoned up.

Thanks in advance

James

My advice: rent a car at the airport, there are lots of providers, some local and some big-name international, at the arrivals hall on the way out of Doha airport. You will take at least 6-months to acclimatise to the woeful (dangerous) driving standards here. Better to bash a hire car than one of your own, since your liability will be limited to your excess (QAR 1500 usually). It will always be your fault, unless you are Qatari or speak fluent Arabic (Egyptians excepted). This is from bitter experience ('Officer, he swerved in front on me and I couldn't avoid slamming into the back of his car, and he disrupted my important text message at the time')

Hire costs:

Basic - Nissan Sunny QAR 2400/m
Mid-range - Nissan Altima QAR 3400/m
4x4 Nissan Xterra - QAR 4400/m

Once you've settle in, then consider leasing a car. This is recycled from an earlier post of mine:

"Then consider a 1 year lease deal from Mann"ai Autorent’s Fleet Solutions, being offered to staff at one of the big US consultancies working in Qatar:

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.0i AWD
Automatic transmission, dual zone air conditioning, ABS, power windows, power steering, remote control key system, CD player, Cruise Control, airbags : QR2,700

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5i AWD with Bluetooth and USB
Active torque Split AWD system,. Front ventilated disc brakes, rear-solid disc brakes, pop-up type headlamp washers, front fog lamps, UV protection glass windshield : QR2,600

2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L AWD with Navigation
3.6L, automatic transmission, 4-wheel antilock 4-wheel disc brakes, AM/FM stereo with SD Navigator, CAF, USB, RSA, Pioneer Premium 8-speaker system with subwoofer and amplifier, Stabilitrak vehicle stability enhancement system, power steering : QR2,852

Check the fine-print of any offer, since there will likely be hidden charges for accident damage, early termination, courtesy car etc."

If you plan to buy a car then consider waiting until Ramadan, when there are lots of good offers, say 6-10% off normal retail price.

[J]
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

captainjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Good afternoon all...

Thanks in advance

James
Agree with JohnnyBoy11 BUT I would postpone hiring immediately, driving is terrible out here. Get settled in, ask your company for a driver you can call and use their services for the first month, get a feel for the place etc.

ONLY rent from a reliable brand name because small local rental companies tho cheaper are awful if something goes wrong, pay a little more for peace of mind. EG, rented from a local, 1 week into the month with rental paid for had an incident paid the excess, car went to the garage and I was offered no replacement AND charged additional fees for the time the car was in repair after the month expired. To offer a replacement was not in the contract they said where I expected it to be standard clause.

Also anything happens to the car you need a police report and to inform the rental company to get the letter to give to the police to make the report. You'll have to pay the excess thus better if you get a few scratches/knocks here and there to let them build up and then when handing back inform them of them all so you only pay once! Of course this is only possible if there is no other party involved. Garages wont touch your car without a police report no matter how tiny the issue.

You could go to Suzuki located at Teyser Service Centre, the prices are cheaper, you get a 4x4 for 2800
Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

It's a good point about acclimatising to the driving over there! I'm torn as in one respect I didn't want to waste money paying for a lease / hire car when I could buy a car and sell it in 3 years less the depreciation.

Sounds like I need to get out there and see just how atrocious the driving conditions are! #eek

James
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar isn't too bad for driving compared to other ME Countries but does take a bit of getting used too. Best to get an International Driving Licence before you arrive as you won't be able to get a Qatari one until your Residence permit is sorted. I would rent rather than buy and that way it's one less thing to get rid of when you need to leave - a lot of expats come for what they believe will be X years and often leave earlier - some by choice but some because their face doesn't fit etc etc. Take your time settling in before you spend your money!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
My advice: rent a car at the airport, there are lots of providers, some local and some big-name international, at the arrivals hall on the way out of Doha airport. You will take at least 6-months to acclimatise to the woeful (dangerous) driving standards here. Better to bash a hire car than one of your own, since your liability will be limited to your excess (QAR 1500 usually). It will always be your fault, unless you are Qatari or speak fluent Arabic (Egyptians excepted). This is from bitter experience ('Officer, he swerved in front on me and I couldn't avoid slamming into the back of his car, and he disrupted my important text message at the time')

Hire costs:

Once you've settle in, then consider leasing a car. This is recycled from an earlier post of mine:

"Then consider a 1 year lease deal from Mann"ai Autorent’s Fleet Solutions, being offered to staff at one of the big US consultancies working in Qatar:

Automatic transmission, dual zone air conditioning, ABS, power windows, power steering, remote control key system, CD player, Cruise Control, airbags : QR2,700

Active torque Split AWD system,. Front ventilated disc brakes, rear-solid disc brakes, pop-up type headlamp washers, front fog lamps, UV protection glass windshield : QR2,600

3.6L, automatic transmission, 4-wheel antilock 4-wheel disc brakes, AM/FM stereo with SD Navigator, CAF, USB, RSA, Pioneer Premium 8-speaker system with subwoofer and amplifier, Stabilitrak vehicle stability enhancement system, power steering : QR2,852

Check the fine-print of any offer, since there will likely be hidden charges for accident damage, early termination, courtesy car etc."

If you plan to buy a car then consider waiting until Ramadan, when there are lots of good offers, say 6-10% off normal retail price.

[J]
Hi John,
I have just spoken with Mannai Automotive and they are getting back to me with a price so thanks for the heads up.

Can I ask who the “big US consultancy” is as I may be able to use this as some leverage with regards to the price I am quoted..

Appreciate your help

James
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:15 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11

Hire costs:

[J]
My Advice,

Don't rent at the airport as you are better to have a driver for a week or 2 to get used to things and landmarks. You can hire a Sunny for 2000, Altima for 3000 and an Xterra for 3700 by avoiding the Airport prices. You are better to have international licence here as the UK one is only valid for 14 days from entry and both the International Licence and UK licence are invalid as soon as your company start your residency paperwork - You will then need a temporary Qatar licence.

Forget leasing for a year - its the same as renting except you are tied in for a year and there are penalties for cancelling early. Rent until you feel comfortable here and probation has finished then buy something as buying a car at the right price means you will not lose as much money as renting a terrain for a year at QR32,000
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britexpat76
My Advice,

Don't rent at the airport as you are better to have a driver for a week or 2 to get used to things and landmarks. You can hire a Sunny for 2000, Altima for 3000 and an Xterra for 3700 by avoiding the Airport prices. You are better to have international licence here as the UK one is only valid for 14 days from entry and both the International Licence and UK licence are invalid as soon as your company start your residency paperwork - You will then need a temporary Qatar licence.

Forget leasing for a year - its the same as renting except you are tied in for a year and there are penalties for cancelling early. Rent until you feel comfortable here and probation has finished then buy something as buying a car at the right price means you will not lose as much money as renting a terrain for a year at QR32,000
I’m about to head off to the car hire places on Salwa Road as I have been here for two weeks (avoiding the extortionate airport rentals at all costs!).

I was going to try Strong Rent a car and Mannai Auto Lease as I get a preferential rate with the latter due to who I am working for.

I plan to rent for a month and then take things from there. I don’t have 15k (GBP) to drop on a car at the moment as disposable income is tight (running a property and family in the UK at present too). I can get a new GMC Terrain for 2800QAR (vice 3600QAR) as a company deal which is for a year lease. I know it’s £5.5k for a years lease but I have an allowance and 2800 fits?

You’re in the car trade aren’t you? (I’m sure I have read that somewhere?..)

Thanks for the advice

James
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:05 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m about to head off to the car hire places on Salwa Road as I have been here for two weeks (avoiding the extortionate airport rentals at all costs!).

I was going to try Strong Rent a car and Mannai Auto Lease as I get a preferential rate with the latter due to who I am working for.

I plan to rent for a month and then take things from there. I don’t have 15k (GBP) to drop on a car at the moment as disposable income is tight (running a property and family in the UK at present too). I can get a new GMC Terrain for 2800QAR (vice 3600QAR) as a company deal which is for a year lease. I know it’s £5.5k for a years lease but I have an allowance and 2800 fits?

You’re in the car trade aren’t you? (I’m sure I have read that somewhere?..)

Thanks for the advice

James
If you can cancel the Lease at anytime without penalty 2800 is a very good deal. Just check what the penalties are if you have to go home after 3 months before you commit - and check the paperwork as I wouldn't believe most things you are told here, You usually get the answer you want to hear as against the correct one.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:06 am
Just Joined

downrodeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Just fyi, to confirm what britexpat says, you CAN get a local license before your resident permit is sorted. I did. You can get a 3 month temporary qatari license - you pay the same fee, but then when you get your RP and convert it to a permanent one you don't pay anything. If you have a British license you just need to take an eye test and get an 'NOC' letter for the traffic department from your company. Also take passport photos (always carry a few with blue and with white background with you), photocopy of your license, your passport (ID page and visa page on the same sheet) with you to the traffic department.

You can download the form here:
http://www.moi.gov.qa/site/arabic/de...08/04_9524.pdf

Print the form, get your company to fill the relevant part (and get an NOC letter from them), take it to an optician and get the optician to stamp it once you've taken your 30 second test, and then go to war with the traffic department in madinat khalifa.

Last edited by downrodeo; Apr 11th 2014 at 7:13 am.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point

As Brit Expat said its best to use a driver for the first few weeks. There are some good ones out there who will make your life easy - Its been a while since i used them so lost the contacts)

It takes some time getting used to the layout of the city and the driving style and effective rules of the road (there are no rules). Once you have acclimatised it's less stressful and you are less likely to get into an accident.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 9:06 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by downrodeo
Just fyi, to confirm what britexpat says, you CAN get a local license before your resident permit is sorted. I did. You can get a 3 month temporary qatari license - you pay the same fee, but then when you get your RP and convert it to a permanent one you don't pay anything. If you have a British license you just need to take an eye test and get an 'NOC' letter for the traffic department from your company. Also take passport photos (always carry a few with blue and with white background with you), photocopy of your license, your passport (ID page and visa page on the same sheet) with you to the traffic department.

You can download the form here:
http://www.moi.gov.qa/site/arabic/de...08/04_9524.pdf

Print the form, get your company to fill the relevant part (and get an NOC letter from them), take it to an optician and get the optician to stamp it once you've taken your 30 second test, and then go to war with the traffic department in madinat khalifa.
This is also correct, more hassle but sooner or later you have to go there and do it anyhow.