Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

car insurance for car left in UK

car insurance for car left in UK

Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Default car insurance for car left in UK

Hi All,

I am hoping some one on here may be able to point me in the right direction. My insurers back home in the UK have cancelled my insurance, the reason they give is because I am out of the UK for more than 6 months. I would have thought that this would reprersent a low risk situation and so in the insurers favour, they knew I was going out of the country when I took out the policy as this was how they gave me such a cheap quuote of just 18GBP per month premium. I now have a valuable car back home which is now uninsured, does any one know were I might get insurance for my car while I am resident here in Dubai.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: car insurance for car left in UK

Originally Posted by AndyB123
Hi All,

I am hoping some one on here may be able to point me in the right direction. My insurers back home in the UK have cancelled my insurance, the reason they give is because I am out of the UK for more than 6 months. I would have thought that this would reprersent a low risk situation and so in the insurers favour, they knew I was going out of the country when I took out the policy as this was how they gave me such a cheap quuote of just 18GBP per month premium. I now have a valuable car back home which is now uninsured, does any one know were I might get insurance for my car while I am resident here in Dubai.

Andy
Insure it under somebody else's name maybe and put yourself as the 'main' but named driver.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:42 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Insure it under somebody else's name maybe and put yourself as the 'main' but named driver.

You can only do that if the person owns the car. The insurance must be in the same name as the one on the V5. Is it a Classic Car?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all

its a classic of sorts, its a Rover 75 Connoseur SE with all the extras, I just dont want to sell the car just yet and its too valuable a cra to leave uninsured.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:03 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

What year? Personally Andy, I would sell it if your not looking at going back sometime soon. The resale on those is pretty low at the best of times and to be honest, will only go a lot lower. You'd be better off selling it now and saving A, the cost of depreciation, B, the cost of insurance. You should still be able to find someone to insure it, you're not the only person in the world to work abroad.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
You can only do that if the person owns the car. The insurance must be in the same name as the one on the V5. Is it a Classic Car?
True....but not a problem if you transfer the ownership to someone else i.e.family is it?

Don't know your circumstances Andy but you could ask a family member or friend to take official 'ownership' of the car and insure it on your behalf. I'm guessing this is possible in your instance as you obviously have somewhere to store it at present.

I agree with Mr Bear though. I'd just sell it for what its worth and take the money out to Dubai with you.

I've actually just thought....why are you telling them you're moving away? I'd phone them up and make it known that you 'work abroad' regularly hence you won't require a high mileage allowance. You're still a UK resident (on paper). Don't lie to them obviously....just be a little less honest with the truth.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

rambar is an unknown quantity at this point

can't believe they did this.. just another reason people are fleeing the uk..
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rambar
can't believe they did this.. just another reason people are fleeing the uk..
Someone help me here - is this an example of hyperbole, or non sequitur (or both)?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jvr20
Someone help me here - is this an example of hyperbole, or non sequitur (or both)?
Soliloquy?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
on balance, i reckon non sequitur...

MM, xx
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyB123
Hi All,

Andy
Hi Andy,
2 solutions to your problem spring to mind..
First one is simply lie through your teeth. Pay the insurance as if you are living in the Uk. I do this and basically leave my car at the airport for 1 or 2 months at a time, so it is there ready for my next trip back, which I have to make quite a few times a year, as hire cars etc are just a pain for me.
If you can get a friend or relation to keep your car at their home, then at least someone is keeping an eye on it for you.

Second option. If your car is an old one, it may classify for classic car insurance. These policies allow extended periods of non-use, that can fit your intended Uk usage. Obviously you still have to tell the porkies about Uk residence.

I would recommend against having the car and insurance in someone elses name.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
Hi Andy,
2 solutions to your problem spring to mind..
First one is simply lie through your teeth. Pay the insurance as if you are living in the Uk. I do this and basically leave my car at the airport for 1 or 2 months at a time, so it is there ready for my next trip back, which I have to make quite a few times a year, as hire cars etc are just a pain for me.
If you can get a friend or relation to keep your car at their home, then at least someone is keeping an eye on it for you.

Second option. If your car is an old one, it may classify for classic car insurance. These policies allow extended periods of non-use, that can fit your intended Uk usage. Obviously you still have to tell the porkies about Uk residence.

I would recommend against having the car and insurance in someone elses name.
but even doing what you suggest, if you're caught, you're buggered...i can't believe there isn't an insurance policy for people living abroad, there must be loads of people in a similar sutuation...

MM, xx
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
but even doing what you suggest, if you're caught, you're buggered...i can't believe there isn't an insurance policy for people living abroad, there must be loads of people in a similar sutuation...

MM, xx
There isnt policies that cover non residencies for the Uk.

The only way you are really going to get caught is an admission of guilt.

On a wider issue, a lot of people using a normal Uk bank account, debit and credit cards are in a grey area, as most have Uk residence as a condition of use.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by admon
There isnt policies that cover non residencies for the Uk.

The only way you are really going to get caught is an admission of guilt.

On a wider issue, a lot of people using a normal Uk bank account, debit and credit cards are in a grey area, as most have Uk residence as a condition of use.
well that's ridiculous...stupid insurance companies...

first direct doesn't have that as a condition of use, you need to fill out various forms, but no issue...

MM, xx
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all of you I have done a mixture of all the suggestions, the car is still registered to me so no problems there.

You would thought that a low risk insurance like this would be right in the favour of the insurance company, low risk is whjat they normally look for. So why not this situation, seems like unless you're a celeb or just plain loaded, Joe Average just cannot get cover in this situation.

I also think its just another symptom of stupid british thinking by the establishment and those controlling the insurance market.:curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.