British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Car Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/car-insurance-692593/)

Bigtaff Nov 7th 2010 9:01 am

Car Insurance

Just wondered what those of you that have a Pajero were paying in Insurance, so I can get some idea of what it will cost me. I know it varies with age etc so if you're happy to state that too then great :) plus age of the Pajero and engine size (plus your no claims amount. I don't have paperwork to support mine so not sure if mine will count or not)

Blue Cat Nov 7th 2010 9:23 am

Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8966730)
Just wondered what those of you that have a Pajero were paying in Insurance, so I can get some idea of what it will cost me. I know it varies with age etc so if you're happy to state that too then great :) plus age of the Pajero and engine size (plus your no claims amount. I don't have paperwork to support mine so not sure if mine will count or not)

my policy is in the car which is in the dealers getting serviced before I sell her, can I get back to you? I think it is about 3500 dhs

Bigtaff Nov 7th 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8966756)
my policy is in the car which is in the dealers getting serviced before I sell her, can I get back to you? I think it is about 3500 dhs

For sure you can, thank you :)

I did an online quote with AXA and nearly fell off my chair! Nearly 6,000 AED with full NCB (although no paperwork to prove so maybe it didn't count)

Blue Cat Nov 7th 2010 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8966762)
For sure you can, thank you :)

I did an online quote with AXA and nearly fell off my chair! Nearly 6,000 AED with full NCB (although no paperwork to prove so maybe it didn't count)

we are with RSA, the car is four years old and it is in my husbands name who is an old git at 48

Roadking Nov 7th 2010 9:39 am

Far as I'm aware, age is only relevant if you are a kid; as in under 25. Insurance is calculated on the value of the car, anywhere from 3.5% to over 6% depending on the company.

But like anything else, you get what you pay for ...sometimes.

Brains1983 Nov 7th 2010 9:51 am

2010 Pajero (3.5 LWB Rockford)
3,815.00 AED p/annum
Loss, Damage & TP Liability

Didn't get any introductory no-claims bonus, 27 year old male named driver

Bigtaff Nov 7th 2010 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8966800)
2010 Pajero (3.5 LWB Rockford)
3,815.00 AED p/annum
Loss, Damage & TP Liability

Didn't get any introductory no-claims bonus, 27 year old male named driver

Thats pretty good! I'm 35 and my quote was nearly double! Who was that with please?

Brains1983 Nov 7th 2010 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8966811)
Thats pretty good! I'm 35 and my quote was nearly double! Who was that with please?

AXA, although I went through Al Habtoor to organize everything when I bought the car.

CeeBee Nov 7th 2010 10:07 am

I've just been quoted 3.9% with RSA for their executive insurance (the highest one). They value the car and I've got 4 years NCB.

Axa charge 4.5% for the same therefore they must be valuing the car at around 135k. You'd be best off phoning someone instead of going online.

RK is correct in that age only comes into it if you're under 25 but even so, this only adds another 1% (at least it did with me for my first year).

p.s. I don't have a Pajero

hnd Nov 7th 2010 10:55 am

5 yo Land Cruiser
Fully comp (protected no claims bonus)
Two named drivers
Insured to carry driver + six
Oman cover
Premium includes someone collecting, re-registering and returning car, AAA breakdown insurance (handy when the battery dies)

Insured with AXA via HSBC. Premium 4,500 approx

Bluelionesse Nov 7th 2010 1:18 pm

Will you ever take your pajero offroad? If you are, make sure offroad cover is included in your policy - it is pretty standard for Axa and RSA to do this.

We had an offroad accident (hit a metal pipe in the middle of the desert on a night drive), and Axa paid up for sorting our car no problem at all. Premium was 4000aed or so last year, with a 1 year NCD, we drive a 2008 FJ cruiser (reg dec 08)

Insured one of our other cars with AXA too, 1525 fully comp for 2006 jeep wrangler valued at 35k. I went through Guardian Insurance Brokers in Abu Dhabi and would recommend them - had problems getting my jeep repaired after a third party at fault accident and they intervened and speeded up the process!

Finally, and very importantly, it is almost impossible to get fully comp insurance for vehicles over 6 years old, unless you are an existing customer!

Blue Cat Nov 7th 2010 3:07 pm

54,000 dhs value of car, insurance 3500 dhs, dealer repairs, 350 dhs excess