Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car hire in KSA - Euro licence OK?

Car hire in KSA - Euro licence OK?

Old Sep 27th 2013, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car hire in KSA - Euro licence OK?

Will my Belgian (EU) driving licence be ok for hiring a car occasionally in KSA?
(No max driving age, no physical address on it) .

Should I seek insurance (eg online) so as to overcome collision damage waiver and those other extra costs? Any suggestions for hire Co and insurer?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car hire in KSA - Euro licence OK?

Hmm, I 'think' if you're on a business visa you can use your home license, but you're restricted to certain vendors, and they can cost 50-100% more than others renting out to iqama + KSA driving license holders.

Whatever you do, ensure you request collision insurance from the vendor and carry that document with you in case of a situation. Being driven round in the back of a police van for 2hrs and then spending two days in a large cell with illegal immigrants, ignored by your consulate, being brought food by your workmates until the rental company coughs up the relevant document is stressful to say the least.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

if you are on a business visa you can hire a car if you have an International Driver's Permit (issued in your home country) along with your original license.

If you have an iqama (in fact, even if your company is applying for one) you will need a Saudi license. I have no idea what the requirements are for Belgian license holders but I'd imagine that you have to do more than the simple eye test that UK license holders need to do. It may be a simple driving test at a driving test centre. You will also need your original license translating into Arabic in order to get a Saudi license.

If you are resident in Saudi, getting separate insurance will be difficult and costly (I tried to no avail). Best to go with a reputable hire company in country (Hertz, Avis, Budget etc) who will ensure you have insurance information in English if you cannot read Arabic.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

then spending two days in a large cell with illegal immigrants
At least you got a large cell.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken View Post
At least you got a large cell.
Ah, I didn't have the honour. But a workmate did recently and it shook him up a bit.