Car Hire

Old Dec 13th 2016, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

chipie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Hire

OK, so I'll be arriving Dubai early March and looking to organise a vehicle as soon as is practicable, and will be hiring initially.

I have a full UK drivers licence and I'm aware that if I was on a tourist visa I could hire straight away, however as I will be on a resident visa, do I have to wait until I have obtained a UAE licence to hire and if so, can this be circumvented initially by having an international drivers permit?

Many thanks
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Car Hire

You can use your UK licence to rent whilst your residence visa is being processed - at least that's what I did a few years ago after my company made it clear that i couldn't get a company car until i got my residency & licence ( i made them pay for the car hire tho). However to drive a private vehicle (eg friends or your companys) you will need a temporary or full UAE licence, you can only apply for the latter once you've got your residency.

Last edited by psychopomp1; Dec 14th 2016 at 3:54 am.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a licence is easy once you have your residency. Just go in with your UK one. They will make you do an eye test and then give you a UAE one. Easy.

Prior to getting your residency you can drive on a UK one.

Have had an International one here previously and no one has ever taken any notice of it. In fact once in Kuwait a Police man grabbed it out of my hand and through it across the car shouting 'shit'..... He was quite angry tho.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

this must be the umpteenth frigging thread on 'car hire'
Old Dec 19th 2016, 11:46 am
Just Joined

chipie is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for that, great help.

Out of interest is the eye test the usual 'read that number plate' or a little more stringent?
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chipie
Many thanks for that, great help.

Out of interest is the eye test the usual 'read that number plate' or a little more stringent?
if it was possible, it is actually less stringent... or was when I did mine years ago.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
if it was possible, it is actually less stringent... or was when I did mine years ago.
Yeah. One of my eyes is rubbish at those tests. Failed massively. The dude asked me if I wore glasses, I replied no. He said maybe you should and signed it off.

They don't care!
Old Dec 20th 2016, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Yeah. One of my eyes is rubbish at those tests. Failed massively. The dude asked me if I wore glasses, I replied no. He said maybe you should and signed it off.

They don't care!
When Mrs Millhouse did the test, she couldn't answer any of them. I answered on her behalf as I was in the room. He asked if she wore glasses... No, I had lasik was her reply. "That is very good" was his reply, and signed it off.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
When Mrs Millhouse did the test, she couldn't answer any of them. I answered on her behalf as I was in the room. He asked if she wore glasses... No, I had lasik was her reply. "That is very good" was his reply, and signed it off.
Sometimes this place is hilarious.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 10:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I 'failed' mine, got the slip of paper for driving licence and went to another opticians the following week and got specs....for driving.