Car Advice - UAE

Old Jun 17th 2013, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

hot_stepper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Advice - UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I don't see how an interest free loan could possibly change the economics of the decision.
Only because all the calcs thus far include the interest as a component of the overall cost of purchase.... I am just being to lazy to rework the calcs without the interest component to see how big the delta between the two scenarios is then!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Just to add to this thread.

I'm due out to live in Dubai with the family in 5-weeks. I'm thinking of hiring one car for the first few months (for the missus to drive around in - thinking a Prado), and I'll get a taxi or something.

After my 3-months probation, I was thinking of getting a 200k AED bank loan and buying two used cars on the basis that renting, lets say two Prado's would be 2 x 5k AED per month (aroun 10k AED per month total), whereas a bank loan of about 200k AED over 3yrs with 20% interest (worst case) would be around 6,500 AED per month.

We need at least one large 4 x 4 for the missus and the kids, so that is a given. Whatever I buy, I'm budgeting around 70-80k AED used.

My question here is, does this seem like sound logic, or are all the used cars cut and shuts and generally untrustowthy/unreliable??

Oh, and am I likely to get a 200k AED bank loan 3-months after arriving??
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:22 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBAH
Just to add to this thread.

I'm due out to live in Dubai with the family in 5-weeks. I'm thinking of hiring one car for the first few months (for the missus to drive around in - thinking a Prado), and I'll get a taxi or something.

After my 3-months probation, I was thinking of getting a 200k AED bank loan and buying two used cars on the basis that renting, lets say two Prado's would be 2 x 5k AED per month (aroun 10k AED per month total), whereas a bank loan of about 200k AED over 3yrs with 20% interest (worst case) would be around 6,500 AED per month.

We need at least one large 4 x 4 for the missus and the kids, so that is a given. Whatever I buy, I'm budgeting around 70-80k AED used.

My question here is, does this seem like sound logic, or are all the used cars cut and shuts and generally untrustowthy/unreliable??

Oh, and am I likely to get a 200k AED bank loan 3-months after arriving??
I am guessing you will get a loan, I was offered one the other day from a bank and technically I don't even work. I normally sell my cars via expatwoman classifieds and have had no issues selling them. You can get good ex pat owned cars here, check the notice boards, the thing with the Prado being your car of choice is that they are more the type of car that could be pre-owned by a local, and if it was a young local it would have been thrashed a bit. There are other good 4x4's out there at some good prices, I was in Suzuki the other day and a brand Vitara I think was 89k.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I am guessing you will get a loan, I was offered one the other day from a bank and technically I don't even work. I normally sell my cars via expatwoman classifieds and have had no issues selling them. You can get good ex pat owned cars here, check the notice boards, the thing with the Prado being your car of choice is that they are more the type of car that could be pre-owned by a local, and if it was a young local it would have been thrashed a bit. There are other good 4x4's out there at some good prices, I was in Suzuki the other day and a brand Vitara I think was 89k.
As ever, thanks BC. The Prado was just an example, I've been told a lot of the Toyotas are (well) used by locals, so I'm on the hunt for a good, European, ex-pat owned 4x4 for the wife and kids....
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:15 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

As ever, thanks BC. The Prado was just an example, I've been told a lot of the Toyotas are (well) used by locals, so I'm on the hunt for a good, European, ex-pat owned 4x4 for the wife and kids....
You should get one easy enough especially at that time of year, I am putting mine up for sale next week (I think), Pajero, had three of them and love them but fancy something different
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

great deals on ex.demos with Toyota. The good thing is they are deemed new cars for the purposes of finance so the finance is cheap. around 4.5%.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
great deals on ex.demos with Toyota. The good thing is they are deemed new cars for the purposes of finance so the finance is cheap. around 4.5%.
So in theory one could get the MENA car of choice, a Land Cruiser, for decent value?? Someone told me - and this could be total b/s - that European cars, especially used ones, cannot cope with the summer heat so the air con invariably breaks down unless its a GCC spec?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

So in theory one could get the MENA car of choice, a Land Cruiser, for decent value?? Someone told me - and this could be total b/s - that European cars, especially used ones, cannot cope with the summer heat so the air con invariably breaks down unless its a GCC spec?
yep european cars meaning the french ones i would suspect arent the best with the heat. go with japan or american.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
yep european cars meaning the french ones i would suspect arent the best with the heat. go with japan or american.
Ah, I was wondering how the yank tanks fared out there. I would never drive a French car anyway, as I value both my life and love my wife and children....
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Jeep and love it.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

European cars struggle here. A new one will be fine - a 4 year old will give you problems. A Jap car will be better.

A Land Cruiser is an expensive machine. Better to get a Prado, Fortuner.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

MAQ82 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you buy a car on finance in Dubai, can you sell it with the finance still on the car and then pay the bank? or do you have to clear the finance first and only then you are able to sell the car?

I am thinking of buying a new car/ex-demo with finance, but not sure if my job will last longer than a year.

Also, would the depreciation in a new car e.g. Prado, in a years time, be the same as the extra amount I pay on a rental?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAQ82
If you buy a car on finance in Dubai, can you sell it with the finance still on the car and then pay the bank? or do you have to clear the finance first and only then you are able to sell the car?

I am thinking of buying a new car/ex-demo with finance, but not sure if my job will last longer than a year.

Also, would the depreciation in a new car e.g. Prado, in a years time, be the same as the extra amount I pay on a rental?
you have to clear the "mortgage" first before you can sell the car. you will have to work out if its best to rent or buy. the only other way to sell the car before the finance is cleared is to take out a personal loan.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

ADteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read this with quite a bit of interest!

Have just moved out to AD (been here a week) and trying to decide what to do car wise! Taxis are great but totally missing the freedom of wheels!

How easy is it to get a loan/finance here? Would it be better to go through a dealer for finance or get a bank loan?

And should I be going for a bigger car? The quotes for car hire obviously have the little ones a lot cheaper but I think I'd feel safer in a big car!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

New Mitsubishi large 4 door saloon with 2.4 engine = 54K

Dealers seems to use banks anyway for their finance but there are loads of money wise people on here who could suggest alternatives

HSBC currently offering 2.25% extended Ramadan special. 3 months payments into bank required and 20% deposit

Mitsubishi offering very low deposit (much less than 20%)

Size of car depends on whether you have kids, availability of parking spaces where you live etc. I have seen old corrollas survive hideous smashes with trucks and the passengers got out in one piece to fight with the driver however mass always wins in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.