Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car Accident - No Insurance

Car Accident - No Insurance

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Accident - No Insurance

Hey folks. Wife just had a car run up the side. Did the police thing with the coppers, they've asked her to attend the station tomorrow to collect the report. There were a few arabic folks around as it was just outside the compound, and the other driver has admitted fault. However he also didn't have insurance. It was a company vehicle, and the gaffer attended to confirm the same.

Any idea what happens next? Do I have to come to a hopefully amicable agreement with the company owner, or could it end up as a court case? Or do I need to claim against my own insurance? I've had a flick through the AXA policy and it doesn't say anything about being involved with an uninsured driver? It mentions an "identified Third Party", however I think that they mean a another insurer and not a guilty party...

Any one had a similar experience and can shed some light or expertise?

Oh, and the wife is fine, I did check that.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Accident - No Insurance

Have you asked AXA?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

expect to lose at least 3 days sorting all of this out.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

He is required to pay personally and be subject to police action..... however they might suggest as you have insurance you should pay - I joke not - was once told as you have 'better insurance ' i.e fully comp, better for all if I paid! - not my fault and refused point blank....as you say set aside a few days!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by B Bear
He is required to pay personally and be subject to police action..... however they might suggest as you have insurance you should pay - I joke not - was once told as you have 'better insurance ' i.e fully comp, better for all if I paid! - not my fault and refused point blank....as you say set aside a few days!
Had the same in Qatar. Someone bumped into my car. His fault, but he had no insurance. After some discussions it was suggested, that I take the blame so that my insurance would pay the whole thing. Otherwise it would have end up in court, which could take like FOREVER and me not being able to leave the country.
Since we wanted to move I decided to take the blame. Case was closed within a few minutes
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

this is turning into a farce. been to mussafah police station 3 times now, I think I've spent around 7hours total sitting there. they eventually call my number, I tell them why I'm here, and they tell me that the officer who is working on the report isn't in, come back tomorrow AM. and then I come back and get told he is working late.

Had a bump in the hire car a few months early and got my report on the spot.

back to mussafah tomorrow

Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by csdf
Have you asked AXA?
did cross my mind, but don't want to claim off my insurance (or give them the impression that I will), unless it's a necessity. If the other drivers employer coughs up, will save the no-claim bonus.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:43 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
will save the no-claim bonus.
wot that then?

% of value of the car regardless. Do the easy thing as has been suggested.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

this is turning into a farce. been to mussafah police station 3 times now, I think I've spent around 7hours total sitting there. they eventually call my number, I tell them why I'm here, and they tell me that the officer who is working on the report isn't in, come back tomorrow AM. and then I come back and get told he is working late.

Had a bump in the hire car a few months early and got my report on the spot.

back to mussafah tomorrow

i have tried 3 times to reply to this tonite, hopefully this one will work.

if you have a normal car accident and its sorted on the spot then all well and good, if you have anything unusual then its not. i was hit from behind while i was parked at the red signal and have 5 cars hit me, lucky for me i left a gap in front so didnt hit the one in front of me, but had a baby in the back and was pregnant, basically short of it all was that it took months to sort out, had to go to court, lots of probs, blood money etc, just to get the piece of paper to get the car fixed, lucky the bumper was damaged and i could drive the car, otherwise i would have been seriously out of pocket as well as all the time and hassle it took.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

did cross my mind, but don't want to claim off my insurance (or give them the impression that I will), unless it's a necessity. If the other drivers employer coughs up, will save the no-claim bonus.
doubt the company will cough up it should be insured in the first place!. if you have a no claim bonus you can pay extra to protect it.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

In a similar case, AXA told my boss that he could not claim under his policy with them because the negligent Third Party was not insured. Sounds unethical to me. Fortunately, he got the Third Party to pay in full.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by busybee2
it took months to sort out, had to go to court, lots of probs, blood money etc
Blood money, was someone killed?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bungdit Din
Blood money, was someone killed?
no, but i was pregnant and i had a child in the back. because i was pregnant i had to go and get myself scanned etc and make sure everything was ok, the baby's back was bruised from the jolt, even thou he was in a car seat, so had to get him checked over at the hospital. the guy that was last in the q, and so therefore he was to blame (which really wasnt the case as the car behind me started the domino affect, him being a gold and white taxi driver) was always ringing up to see how we were, it was only after a little while i realised that he was concerned that nothing bad was to happen to us, as then it would be even more trouble. but anyways i am guessing that because it was not a "normal run of the mill traffic accident" it went to court, which was a big pavala (and not a nice strawberry one) in order to speak to the judge in order to get the piece of paper to get the car repaired.

but i have heard of traffic accidents where by somebody was injured/killed and the person was put in jail so as not to abscond either until the person in hospital is well again or is a witness to a traffic accident. this is going back a few years, so couldnt say if they still do that nowadays.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
wot that then?

% of value of the car regardless. Do the easy thing as has been suggested.
actually no claims bonuses do count...i used my full no claims bonus from the UK when i brought my car in Dubai....instead of getting charged the usual 5% value of the car for insurance, I was only charged 2.5% because of my no claims bonus and in my 2nd year of car insurance same again.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

After we smacked up the Fortuner our premium went from 5% to 8.5% of the car. It's gone back down to 5% this year after accruing another 'no claim year'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.