Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

car accident in Ajman.... would you stop to help?

car accident in Ajman.... would you stop to help?

Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default car accident in Ajman.... would you stop to help?

An accident happened in Ajman last night, we got stuck in the traffic however it only took about 3-4 minutes to pass and the police were on scene...

My question is if it happened in front of you would you stop to help and would your help be wanted?

I know how many looks i get being a white woman in Ajman, and i am fully covered trying to be respectable however the stories you hear about the police and staying away from any trouble etc.... what would you do.

The car was in a terrible state and my nature is to help.

I have helped at 2 car crashes as well as when my brothers friend was knocked over and sadly died.

Knowing the custom here of being covered if you are a woman, would it be against the law to help, what if you had to look at her or a part of her body, or what if it was a man?

There was a massive group of people around the accident scene, the police were trying to move them, by the time we got in the apartment the ambulance just arrived.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:48 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car accident in Ajman.... would you stop to help?

Do NOT stop to help at an accident here unless your prepared to face the possible consequences.

Under the bizarre and arcane laws here if you provide first aid to an accident victim who then goes on to die you can be held responsible for their death.
I kid you not, if they recover fine, if not you will be jailed until a court can decide your innocence or not.

The fact your white woman in Ajman just makes it even worse. I know doctors here who will not stop because of what can happen to them for trying to help!!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

i thought that would be the case. I have heard of people being held responsible before but didnt know if it was here. What a shame!

Thanks though, good to know.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep was going to say the same, also have heard of major witnesses being put in jail in order so they dont escape before the trial etc.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Long way from home......