Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Thanks. Meow, and Scamp is right, I'm freaking out instead of sorting things out. Anyways... I like to plan a head, and as such I have another question for the bored: I'll be provided accommodations for 30 days by my employer. After that time I will have to make my own accommodations. I could take out a loan from my employer to cover the rent for an apartment/villa, however, I rather not take out a loan in the Middle East. I was wondering what hotels with kitchenettes you would recommend I stay for a few months, in order to save up the money for rent. Thanks.
better off finding a flat/ villa share for a bit
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I was wondering what hotels with kitchenettes you would recommend I stay for a few months, in order to save up the money for rent. Thanks.
Assuming you are staying in Abu Dhabi (from the thread title), I used Royal Regency Apartment Hotel, just off Hamdan St for a few months, then switched to Vision Apartment Hotel. The first is fine, but definitely not grand - it has a small gym, but no pool. The kitchenette is small but use-able (they'll bring you an extra cooking ring in addition to the one built in if you ask). The Vision is in the tourist club, and a lot smarter - mine had a very decent kitchenette, 4 cooking rings, big fridge with proper freezer etc. It was somewhat more expensive when I first arrived (in Jan), but then had a fantastic offer over the summer which brought the price down a long way. It has a reasonable pool on the roof, plus gym etc, and many more TV channels in the room - plus free internet. Both are described in Trip Advisor - and if you rent for more than a month, both will give you lower rates than advertised.

I'm sure there are others, but I've only used these two!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:57 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by archie159
Assuming you are staying in Abu Dhabi (from the thread title), I used Royal Regency Apartment Hotel, just off Hamdan St for a few months, then switched to Vision Apartment Hotel. The first is fine, but definitely not grand - it has a small gym, but no pool. The kitchenette is small but use-able (they'll bring you an extra cooking ring in addition to the one built in if you ask). The Vision is in the tourist club, and a lot smarter - mine had a very decent kitchenette, 4 cooking rings, big fridge with proper freezer etc. It was somewhat more expensive when I first arrived (in Jan), but then had a fantastic offer over the summer which brought the price down a long way. It has a reasonable pool on the roof, plus gym etc, and many more TV channels in the room - plus free internet. Both are described in Trip Advisor - and if you rent for more than a month, both will give you lower rates than advertised.

I'm sure there are others, but I've only used these two!
Thanks. I've actually been looking into the Vision Hotel as well. Seems like a decent place to stay for a few months. How about parking? Does that cost extra?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:59 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
better off finding a flat/ villa share for a bit
Sure why not, I'm opened to the idea. Just gotta find the right person I guess.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure why not, I'm opened to the idea. Just gotta find the right person I guess.
just remember there are rules about sharing, has to be with owners permission, same sex, maximum people to a room etc etc.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. I've actually been looking into the Vision Hotel as well. Seems like a decent place to stay for a few months. How about parking? Does that cost extra?
When I stayed there, they had free valet parking - but you ought to check that still applies, as there has been a lot of building around there, and the parking used to be on the street, not in their own carpark.

Be aware that there are several Vision hotels - the one I was in is in the Tourist Club area. That being said, I have friends who often use the one somewhere off Hamdan St, also near Airport Rd, and they like that one also.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

When I stayed there, they had free valet parking - but you ought to check that still applies, as there has been a lot of building around there, and the parking used to be on the street, not in their own carpark.

Be aware that there are several Vision hotels - the one I was in is in the Tourist Club area. That being said, I have friends who often use the one somewhere off Hamdan St, also near Airport Rd, and they like that one also.
most of city is covered by paid parking.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busybee2
most of city is covered by paid parking.
which is the hotel's problem if they still offer free valet parking. That is why I said he ought to check if they still provide this service.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by busybee2
just remember there are rules about sharing, has to be with owners permission, same sex, maximum people to a room etc etc.
Yep. Fully aware of that. Thanks for mentioning it though.

which is the hotel's problem if they still offer free valet parking. That is why I said he ought to check if they still provide this service.
I'll give them a call as well as a few other hotels this weekend. By the way, is dubizzle a good place to purchase cars as well? Or is it best to just go straight to the dealer?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

By the way, is dubizzle a good place to purchase cars as well? Or is it best to just go straight to the dealer?
I've bought 3 cars via Dubizzle, and sold one that way; no problems at all buying - its no better or worse than the equivalent (eg autotrader) back in the UK. If you can be patient, every now and again great deals appear on dubizzle when someone needs to sell quickly before they leave. If you know what car you want you can set it up to send alerts when a new advert of the type you are seeking is posted - I got a fantastic deal on one car just because I was the first to call. The seller showed me his phone, and in the 3 or 4 hours between me calling and viewing he had had 35 more phone calls!