Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:57 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by adriancharles
How did they find out your real name? when your username is "auzdafluff", jesus, thats not right. Im going to change my username.
Simple. Google auzdafluff real name. First result is bang on.

Also, if you think that's wrong, wait until you find out some of the questions that they are legally entitled to ask you about.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

adriancharles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Simple. Google auzdafluff real name. First result is bang on.

Also, if you think that's wrong, wait until you find out some of the questions that they are legally entitled to ask you about.
Hello Ben, give us some of the questions they could legally ask me?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Naive perhaps, but not a known troll, just FYI, as folks seem to be implying :/
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:25 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Interesting to see all the ongoing discussion despite the date of the first post. I guess this discussion will continue to go back and forth. Here's what I know though: AMMROC currently has 1300 employees. They plan to ramp up to about 3000 within the next few years. Most of the workforce is comprised of Yanks, Brits, a few Aussies and Canadians. They are typically skilled Aircraft Mechanics with military/civilian experience. Mechanics do not make the same as Engineers/Program Managers, yet many, based on their research, believe their salary is sufficient, and have therefore accepted their offer and are trying it out. Will be interesting to see how they manage 6 to 12 months from now. Stay tuned...
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

A troll, just not a known one. He's not the American freak, but I don't belive he's for real.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
I aint naive, well maybe I am. Im just desperate for a decent job, Im naive to believe il get one though.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

And nowadays i dont think employers search for people on forums, they dont need to, for every one vacancy out there, they get 50+ applicants, employers dont hunt, people hunt them.

And I dont think they have the time to google people. They read the application, and if they like it, they call me.
At a recent job interview, the HR guy I chatted with had googled all the info I had on my cv and brought it up. On teh interwebs, I'm annonymous and like to keep it so.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paracletus
At a recent job interview, the HR guy I chatted with had googled all the info I had on my cv and brought it up. On teh interwebs, I'm annonymous and like to keep it so.
the thing is, my CV dont have alot of things they could google, they could google my phone number, email, employment history, my name, but theres millions of AC's, what else?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:26 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

the thing is, my CV dont have alot of things they could google, they could google my phone number, email, employment history, my name, but theres millions of AC's, what else?
Do me a favour. In the search box of Facebook, type your email address in. If the email address you apply through is the same as the one you've register on Facebook with, you'll be the only Adrian Charles that pops up.

Last edited by auzdafluff; Jul 24th 2012 at 8:27 pm. Reason: Whoops. Corrected spelling fail. (It's late. Cut me some slack ;) )
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Well, if you post ridicolous things on the internet via your FB account in public, or use your real name and it can be connected to you either via an email address or whatever..you will probably not have a good time. The future will show that lack of internet awareness and anonymity will make people suffer for things they have posted for others to read. There's already a plethora of cases of people being driven to commit suicide, fired from work, had their house emptied whilst on holiday, etc.

Also, expat life makes you very visible unless you really care to hide from everyone.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Do me a favour. In the search box of Facebook, type your email address in. If the email address you apply through is the same as the one you've register on Facebook with, you'll be the only Adrian Charles that pops up.
I tried that and all I got was this:-

Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:17 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of the (incredibly condescending) commenters here opine that perfect English grammar and a spotless internet history are a requirement for every position being filled. Employers are apparently poised like cranky school mistresses with red pens over sheaves of background research on every candidate, ready to vengefully strike out any offending split infinitive. That is nonsense, especially for technical roles.

For a start, we are in Asia where English is simply required to be functional and, at best, is the second language of most people, including most of the recruiting managers. Clarity in expression is required, of course, but that is often facilitated better by the non-idiomatic use of the language by those who only know the basics. Where you put the apostrophe and an occasional misspelling due to the ridiculously inconsistent pronunciation of English words is not an issue. I manage and recruit technical people in this region and around the world. Many of them, including senior ones, would struggle to put together a coherent post to this forum. Nevertheless I am very glad to have them and they are extremely valuable employees - and English is the exclusive language of business in our company. Some of their communications make me wince sometimes - why do people in India need to "discuss on" something??? -but as long as I know what they mean then it just doesn't matter.

And as for trawling the internet to try and find incriminating tidbits about prospective employees, well who the hell has the time to do that? If you run an effective recruitment process, check references and google employment history and relevant educational qualifications why on earth would you want to look at extraneous stuff? Perhaps for certain specific types of positions some of this material might be relevant but by and large the whole "Facebook cost me my job" media hysteria is massive exaggeration. I have never encountered this kind of research neither in any interview process of which I have been part, nor practised by any of my employers. It exists, no doubt, but only by exception as it is extremely time-consuming and of minimal value to an employer so why bother anyway....

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; Jul 25th 2012 at 5:21 am. Reason: Trailing subjunctive
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Many of the (incredibly condescending) commenters here opine that perfect English grammar and a spotless internet history are a requirement for every position being filled. Employers are apparently poised like cranky school mistresses with red pens over sheaves of background research on every candidate, ready to vengefully strike out any offending split infinitive. That is nonsense, especially for technical roles.

For a start, we are in Asia where English is simply required to be functional and, at best, is the second language of most people, including most of the recruiting managers. Clarity in expression is required, of course, but that is often facilitated better by the non-idiomatic use of the language by those who only know the basics. Where you put the apostrophe and an occasional misspelling due to the ridiculously inconsistent pronunciation of English words is not an issue. I manage and recruit technical people in this region and around the world. Many of them, including senior ones, would struggle to put together a coherent post to this forum. Nevertheless I am very glad to have them and they are extremely valuable employees - and English is the exclusive language of business in our company. Some of their communications make me wince sometimes - why do people in India need to "discuss on" something??? -but as long as I know what they mean then it just doesn't matter.

And as for trawling the internet to try and find incriminating tidbits about prospective employees, well who the hell has the time to do that? If you run an effective recruitment process, check references and google employment history and relevant educational qualifications why on earth would you want to look at extraneous stuff? Perhaps for certain specific types of positions some of this material might be relevant but by and large the whole "Facebook cost me my job" media hysteria is massive exaggeration. I have never encountered this kind of research neither in any interview process of which I have been part, nor practised by any of my employers. It exists, no doubt, but only by exception as it is extremely time-consuming and of minimal value to an employer so why bother anyway....
AMEN
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saudiflares
I tried that and all I got was this:-

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/peopl...-978252547.jpg
where did you get my pic from? tut
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:03 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope

phew....sense at last..and loads of big words thrown in also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.