Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:03 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by busybee2
what they do is build one house, then think i can split into smaller units and make more money, but they are not legal, clues are you should have your own water/electric meter and phone connection etc, if rates are included in rent, then its illegal.
Thanks for the tips. Ultimately however there should be some legal permit as you mentioned. So I'll be sure to ask for one to be safe. What's your take on the grocery question, is it really 500 AED per person per month?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:19 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in KCA and as a single person you can feed yourself on 500 a month without having any luxuries from abella though. Plenty of cheap supermarkets on the pink parade and cheap take aways. I paid 55000 for a legit split 1 bed with pool.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:55 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I lived in KCA and as a single person you can feed yourself on 500 a month without having any luxuries from abella though. Plenty of cheap supermarkets on the pink parade and cheap take aways. I paid 55000 for a legit split 1 bed with pool.
Wow, so besides the extremely high tuition rate, Abu Dhabi is affordable after all. Just don't expect to live like Patsy Stone, or Milhouse or any of the other wealthy bored members. Thanks, mate.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Wow, so besides the extremely high tuition rate, Abu Dhabi is affordable after all. Just don't expect to live like Patsy Stone, or Milhouse or any of the other wealthy bored members. Thanks, mate.
Weird I gave that impression - I live in the equivalent of a council estate, and drive two cars with a combined age of 18 years.

You have gone from proposing villas in Jumeriah to split houses in KCA though. That change is like a move from a townhouse in Knightsbridges to a 2 up 2 down conversion in Runcorn. I still think a flat in the marina / greens is your best option but you takes your choice and all that.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:39 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

You asked if aed500 was enough to live on for a single guy? What has tuition rates got to do with it? Am I missing something?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by britexpat76
You asked if aed500 was enough to live on for a single guy? What has tuition rates got to do with it? Am I missing something?
I'm actually married and have two young ones. The logic is if 500 suffices for a single guy as I've heard, then four times that should be just as fine for a family of four.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually married and have two young ones. The logic is if 500 suffices for a single guy as I've heard, then four times that should be just as fine for a family of four.
depends, if your jameaters demand a certain brand or type of food and the Mrs wants to shop in certain supermarkets it can get silly

you can live cheaply, if you can be arsed
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty, if you and the missus are determined to do it. Alternatively could be one trolleyful at Spinneys.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Plenty, if you and the missus are determined to do it. Alternatively could be one trolleyful at Spinneys.
yes exactly not even a trolley load from spinneys for that amount!!!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm not allowed in there unsupervised.

Last time I went in to buy dinner I actually came home with Coco Pops, some chicken, frozen fruit for smoothies, mars ice creams, Esquire and a thing that turns the toilet water blue.

I wish I was making it up.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm not allowed in there unsupervised.

Last time I went in to buy dinner I actually came home with Coco Pops, some chicken, frozen fruit for smoothies, mars ice creams, Esquire and a thing that turns the toilet water blue.

I wish I was making it up.
and the cost more than 500dhs?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

food yes, groceries no. Nappies, washing powder etc.

Our bill varies from 300 to 1000 week depending if it's a big shop involving the non edible things.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Our bill varies from 300 to 1000 week depending if it's a big shop involving the non edible things.

About the same here for 3 adults (one is the live-in help) and one young 'un
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by busybee2
and the cost more than 500dhs?
Dunno.

Might have, but unlikely.

The fruit for smoothies was extortionate, but I assumed that it meant it was high quality
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:08 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Fair point about the nappies. I am probably about mid-point between last buying them and having to buy them again Fresh food should be from the excellent markets (veg, meat, fish), tinned/bottled food and household stuff from wherever's cheapest (Co-Op? Lulu?).

ps For my youngest two (who are now 20ish) we never bought nappies, used cotton ones and washed them. Don't know if that's feasible here and/or if it would cost more in water/power/washing powder for the washing machine (but surely not).

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jun 26th 2012 at 10:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.