Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cancelling UAE visa from UK

Cancelling UAE visa from UK

Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:58 am
Just Joined

auh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant futureauh123 has a brilliant future
Default Cancelling UAE visa from UK

I have worked for a hospital in Abu Dhabi as a visiting medical consultant and I have a work visa for Abu Dhabi endorsed in my passport which is valid for another year. I have decided that I no longer want to do this and want to cancel my visa from London (where I live). Is this possible or do I have to come back to Abu Dhabi to do this?
I have called the UAE embassy but that was not the most helpful experience....
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelling UAE visa from UK

Having a valid visa doesn't mean you have to use it. If you have no intention of going back then you just don't go. Your visa will expire of its own accord after a year.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 12:30 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in London why not simply go along and ask in person?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know how it works in AD, but in Dubai, to cancel your visa you just need to send/courier your passport to your company and they will arrange for your visa to be cancelled and they will then return your passport.

We have cancelled a number of visas where employees have been out of the UAE (ie in their respective home countries) and we've cancelled their visa without them physically being here....this is how it works in the freezone and so i assume it will be the same everywhere else in Dubai.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

I agree with Mission. You should also take steps to cancel your visa rather than just letting it expire or wait the 180 days, as this causes you to automatically be classed as 'absconding' in the system. If you send your passport back to the UAE it can be cancelled properly and returned to you.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Or just let it lapse and get a new passport - because you sent your passport back to get it cancelled and you never got it back....
Old Jun 16th 2016, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

IKnowNothing, even if you enter UAE on a new passport the absconding note would flag up - everything is connected these days.....
Old Jun 17th 2016, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

An AD visa can be cancelled by the sponsor without needing the actual passport. I've done it before. It'll also automatically expire after 6 month's absence. As far as I know (but I cannot guarantee this) that does not make you an absconder automatically (but note that another poster thinks otherwise) - you have to be registered as such by the sponsor. But I would simply ask whoever arranged your visa to get it cancelled - as i said, they don't need your passport to do this, just a copy of the visa which they should have anyway..