Reload this Page >

Cancelling employment offer

Cancelling employment offer

Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Muggi91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cancelling employment offer

Hi all,

I received an employment offer a couple of weeks ago, and i accepted the offer. I also received my entry visa and expected to arrive in Doha in 2 weeks. Meanwhile i received another offer from a company in the UAE. I am considering the second offer from UAE company, as the job sounds more interesting.

Am I bound to join Qatar Company where I have accepted the job offer?

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Last edited by Muggi91; Mar 15th 2016 at 5:24 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:34 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelling employment offer

Originally Posted by Muggi91
Hi all,

I received an employment offer a couple of weeks ago, and i accepted the offer. I also received my entry visa and expected to arrive in Doha in 2 weeks. Meanwhile i received another offer from a company in the UAE. I am considering the second offer from UAE company, as the job sounds more interesting.

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Short answer. No.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

This was answered a few months ago but I cannot be fagged to search. If braincells are working correctly in a nutshell you might sufficiently pee the original employers off so much that they put a ban on you.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Legally (English law): No
Legally (Qatari law): No idea
Morally: No
Strategically: No, unless a) you might want to work for them in the future or b) you might want to work in Oman in the future and they have sufficient wasta (and are sufficiently pissed off with you) to get a ban on your entering the country / working there
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

as others have noted while you are under no obiligation to start as legally you have not commenced employment yet, however have you signed any documents?, if you have you may be liable for any costs incurred in mobilizing you.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you
In your post dated 15th February, you said "I've been offered a job with Qatar Airways". That was a month ago. In this post you say they were expecting you to arrive two weeks after the offer. That would have been at the end of February. If this is correct, presumably you did not turn up as planned and by now they have contacted you. Please give full details when asking for advice.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Muggi91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teejaydee
In your post dated 15th February, you said "I've been offered a job with Qatar Airways". That was a month ago. In this post you say they were expecting you to arrive two weeks after the offer. That would have been at the end of February. If this is correct, presumably you did not turn up as planned and by now they have contacted you. Please give full details when asking for advice.
I signed the employment offer in february and was waiting for the visa procedure etc. I am now expecting to arrive end of the month as they gave me the option to decide which date i want to arrive in Doha.

However, i have now received an offer from another company, which i am heavily considering.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Tandy is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have an interest in this topic too despite my is for KSA as I have started to have some second thoughts about the whole move from UK. I don't want to hijack this conversation but in essence I am at the exact same position in the process.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you
No issues as you only have an entry visa , you have not got residency or any other formal visa that could lead you to a ban .

If you have a better offer then consider it as i don't see anything that can hold you back. Remember this stuff happens all the time from employer to employee without recourse .
Old Mar 16th 2016, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Remember this stuff happens all the time from employer to employee without recourse .
Just what I was thinking - companies wouldn't think twice about retracting an offer, so don't think twice about pulling out. It happens all the time.

Just do me a favour and;

- Be very ****ing honest. Tell them you've got more money and a better actual job offer in Dubai.
- Tell them as soon as you can (once Dubai is sealed).
- Do it over the phone. Emails are utterly weak.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 12:47 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Just what I was thinking - companies wouldn't think twice about retracting an offer, so don't think twice about pulling out. It happens all the time.

Just do me a favour and;

- Be very ****ing honest. Tell them you've got more money and a better actual job offer in Dubai.
- Tell them as soon as you can (once Dubai is sealed).
- Do it over the phone. Emails are utterly weak.
Scamp is bang on.
Secure Dubai deal first. Essential.
Then follow Scamp's advice. Precisely.