Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can You Make It in Dubai (Graduates)

Can You Make It in Dubai (Graduates)

Old May 18th 2010, 12:15 am
Just Joined

The Merry Ploughboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can You Make It in Dubai (Graduates)

Hello Everyone(or anyone who reads this)

Im new to the site and came across it doing research on Dubai and moving there. This seems to be the best of the lot.

What I want to find out is what is the chances of getting a job in Dubai for both me and my girlfriend.

I recently got a degree in marketing and I am going on now to do a masters in e-commerce. I have two years experience in a small business. I plan on building another year experience on this also.

My Girlfriend is in childcare, she is a unit supervisor/pre-school teacher, she works for a well run chain of these schools and has done all training in house.
She is about to make her mind up on doing a higher certificate from an institute of technology and because we are considering moving to Dubai she is trying to toss it up between Montessori teaching or business studies(both have good career prospects here in Ireland but what about Dubai?).

I hope somebody can give me a bit of advice on the potential for employment and salary.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can You Make It in Dubai (Graduates)

I will be nicer than some people on here would be.

1. The economy is shit.

2. Marketing? As in for what? Marketing/branding consulting or in-house marketing strategies/ business development?

3. The economy is shit.

4. It's possible you could get a job out here, but we aren't going to give you names of employers hiring. Try monstergulf, try a couple recruitment firms.

5. The economy is shit.

6. To live well in Dubai as a single person you need a minimum of 15,000 AED a month. That covers rent and living expenses but you probably will save nil. 20,000/month gives you more breathing space. Life in Dubai is NOT cheap. It is expensive. Very expensive.

7. The economy is shit.

8. I'd wager your girlfriend will have an easier time finding a job than you as the schools are busy out here, but her wages will be shit. She'd be lucky to make 15K.

9. The economy is shit.

10. Firms hiring nowadays tend to prefer to hire someone already here rather than resort to the expense of bringing an unproven person from overseas.

11. The economy is shit.

12. Despite all my doom and gloom, you may just find something but you will have to push yourself, sharpen up your cvs and contact every possible sources. With enough strong-arming you *could* land yourself a job offer.

Good luck.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Merry Ploughboy
Hello Everyone(or anyone who reads this)

Im new to the site and came across it doing research on Dubai and moving there. This seems to be the best of the lot.

What I want to find out is what is the chances of getting a job in Dubai for both me and my girlfriend.

I recently got a degree in marketing and I am going on now to do a masters in e-commerce. I have two years experience in a small business. I plan on building another year experience on this also.

My Girlfriend is in childcare, she is a unit supervisor/pre-school teacher, she works for a well run chain of these schools and has done all training in house.
She is about to make her mind up on doing a higher certificate from an institute of technology and because we are considering moving to Dubai she is trying to toss it up between Montessori teaching or business studies(both have good career prospects here in Ireland but what about Dubai?).

I hope somebody can give me a bit of advice on the potential for employment and salary.
Making it in Dubai? No idea............

............ surviving on this forum with that handle? No chance.............
Old May 18th 2010, 5:35 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget that you risk imprisonment and deportation if you are caught co-habiting with your girlfriend...or holding hands or kissing in public, or wearing scanty clothing, or hiring a maid you have not sponsored, or making an unwelcome finger gesture to an Arab, or eating, drinking or smoking in public during Ramadan, or acting as if mildly intoxicated or bouncing a cheque...the list goes on. The streets of Dubai are by no means paved in gold so please think carefully.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

I'm Irish i'll help you out - you can pm me.

1 you need to be married

2 your gf will be working long hours and not paid much

3 market crap for your kindof work

4 if you have prospects at home - stay there.

we are on the way out ourselves.

lol
Old May 18th 2010, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
Making it in Dubai? No idea............

............ surviving on this forum with that handle? No chance.............

I get where your coming from is the days of friendly advice gone out the window
Old May 18th 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I will be nicer than some people on here would be.

1. The economy is shit.

2. Marketing? As in for what? Marketing/branding consulting or in-house marketing strategies/ business development?

3. The economy is shit.

4. It's possible you could get a job out here, but we aren't going to give you names of employers hiring. Try monstergulf, try a couple recruitment firms.

5. The economy is shit.

6. To live well in Dubai as a single person you need a minimum of 15,000 AED a month. That covers rent and living expenses but you probably will save nil. 20,000/month gives you more breathing space. Life in Dubai is NOT cheap. It is expensive. Very expensive.

7. The economy is shit.

8. I'd wager your girlfriend will have an easier time finding a job than you as the schools are busy out here, but her wages will be shit. She'd be lucky to make 15K.

9. The economy is shit.

10. Firms hiring nowadays tend to prefer to hire someone already here rather than resort to the expense of bringing an unproven person from overseas.

11. The economy is shit.

12. Despite all my doom and gloom, you may just find something but you will have to push yourself, sharpen up your cvs and contact every possible sources. With enough strong-arming you *could* land yourself a job offer.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help but I have another question, whats the economy like
Not looking to become a millionaire just want to head over to get away from here and travel/work.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Not really - you've already had some helpful-ish replies - once everyone gets used to you, you'll be welcome.

Look at my example: I'm accepted ( more or less) even though I am a "first class wanker" [(c) Mata Hari 2008].

I'm not in Dubai these days so can't comment directly, but I'm very pessimistic about the overall future of the place. Individually though, there will still be plenty of people in gainful employment.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:01 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You got 4 responses, 2 of which were (or should be) helpful. That's not a bad average. I only ask 1 or 2 questions a year on this forum and you should see some of the responses I get...

The Dean's summed it up pretty well. And marketing usually gets hit first when there's a downturn, and there's been one hell of a downturn here. Teaching will also be hit coz of the reduced number of expats per se, and because new packages are tighter and therefore less likely to attract those with sprogs.

As a marketer though, you must know your market...
Old May 18th 2010, 10:02 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I think the advice given so far is very friendly. The basics of Dubai are that unless you are extremely well experienced and qualified, the days of easy opportunities have gone. In reality, this is a harsher, more demanding, less structured business environment where you need years of experience in doing the job right to cope with the challenges.

That's not to say you can't find a job with the right efforts but this forum gives some indication of what will confront you...and in many instances; that's not pleasant.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:03 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You got 4 responses, 2 of which were (or should be) helpful. That's not a bad average. I only ask 1 or 2 questions a year on this forum and you should see some of the responses I get...

The Dean's summed it up pretty well. And marketing usually gets hit first when there's a downturn, and there's been one hell of a downturn here. Teaching will also be hit coz of the reduced number of expats per se, and because new packages are tighter and therefore less likely to attract those with sprogs.

As a marketer though, you must know your market...
'koff!
Old May 18th 2010, 10:05 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
'koff!
You should get that seen to...
Old May 18th 2010, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lionheart
Don't forget that you risk imprisonment and deportation if you are caught co-habiting with your girlfriend...or holding hands or kissing in public, or wearing scanty clothing, or hiring a maid you have not sponsored, or making an unwelcome finger gesture to an Arab, or eating, drinking or smoking in public during Ramadan, or acting as if mildly intoxicated or bouncing a cheque...the list goes on. The streets of Dubai are by no means paved in gold so please think carefully.
I was really only focusing on this reply as the FRIENDLY ADVICE.... I've been to dubai a couple of time talked to expats and they all love it. Your the type of person that makes the likes of my friends go " You and your GF wont be able to stay in a hotel room together over there" Yet when I was outside the crown plaza it was like something from the bunny ranch....... I want advice not a load of tripe!!!

I am not looking to make millions, its more so an experience and with the hope of returning home with a few bob. Also I have accommodation FOC, two family members have apartments, so the GF can register in one and me the other will this solve that issue.
Old May 18th 2010, 11:10 am
Hit 16's

I was really only focusing on this reply as the FRIENDLY ADVICE.... I've been to dubai a couple of time talked to expats and they all love it. Your the type of person that makes the likes of my friends go " You and your GF wont be able to stay in a hotel room together over there" Yet when I was outside the crown plaza it was like something from the bunny ranch....... I want advice not a load of tripe!!!

I am not looking to make millions, its more so an experience and with the hope of returning home with a few bob. Also I have accommodation FOC, two family members have apartments, so the GF can register in one and me the other will this solve that issue.
Ooo err, dissed by a newbie
Old May 18th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

what the eff is up with these peeps, coming in a forum like this and posting such shitty threads.

dude have you seen any jobs out here for what you want to do?? if so apply and take it from there.

It doesn't take an einstein to figure that out.

as to coming out here and trying to find a job....are you dumb or dumber.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.